Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-10-2011, 18:55   #106

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Best Single Liveaboard Tip

Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
pregnant should be able to do what anyone else can and eat same and drink same. jeex. mommas bod filters out most of the bs before baby gets it. some stuff is needed for immunities. trendy anything is not smart.

i SAW where the water comes from here in mexico-- and i SAW the way in which human waste is treated--NOT--here---lol.. e choli is not good for ye,. monty's protoazoa is not good for ye. even MEXICANS do not drink their own water except from bottles.
I disagree with that. I was seven months pregnant and the doctor thought it inadvisable for me to become significantly sick if it could be avoided, given that I was on a cruise ship and away from hospitals. The boat stopped at many teeny towns -- Ketchikan, Sitka ... The combination of being dehydrated and having diahrrea and then going into labor was not something he thought was a good idea. He was an excellent obstetrician -- saved both my life and the life of my baby during my second pregnancy.

Sometimes things go wrong when you're pregnant, and if they do, you're far better off if you aren't already sick.

Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 23:21   #107

Boat: Oyster 45

Looking around it seems that you cannot be a proper sailor unless you have some pink trousers. Sailors seem to be the the only people in the world to wear pink trousers but there is no way am I ever getting any.

If it works you did it right, if it doesn't you did it wrong.
Nostrodamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 00:54   #108

I see that you have received some good advice and, some that's just "so-so". If you have the time and means to try a couple of alternatives I suggest you set up and live a few months in either a camper or small trailer....or a small boat. I lived 5 years in a camper on my pickup.....I was still working construction and dreaming "boats". A 12' camper W/ head..etc was plenty of can consider the outside as my cockpit......after posting this and reviewing it...I think that maybe I'm on the wrong thread...sorry...
G loving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:47   #109

Re: Best Single Livaboard Tip

Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
As for my single tip: Don't make it like camping or you will tire of it quickly, especially in the beginning. You can always simplify as you go, but make yourself as comfortable as possible, and then decide what to cut out. Remember, it's LIVE aboard, not CAMP aboard. CAMP is for weekends and vacations.
+1 on LIVE aboard and not CAMP aboard. CAMPing means you have somewhere to return to, so you're willing to put up with more inconveniences.

Of course, what's "more inconveniences" is perfectly subjective. You can change your mindset to accept these said inconveniences, but sometimes external circumstances don't allow you to. Perceived comfort is important.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:53   #110

Re: Best Single Livaboard Tip

Originally Posted by Dame.n.Jess View Post
Do you our boat work and repairs!!!!!

I have watched heaps of people run out of cash in the marina we are at cos they are getting everyone else to work on there boats.

We finished our boat (including purchase) for sometimes 1/4 these peoples refit budget. plus I know every inch of my boat better than anyone I could pay.

Im not a boat worker type, I learnt as I went, just like everyone else can, its really not that hard or complex. People that have a financial interest in making things hard to do by yourself will often say otherwise but its rubbish. if you can assemble ikea furniture you will be able to tackle 80% of yacht stuff. the balance you can research and learn.
+1 on do-it-yourself boat work. If you do it, you know what you've done and how it works. If someone else did it, you would never know what they did wrong until it fails. And in the middle of an ocean it's only you and your boat.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:32   #111
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

rakuflmaes--you were pregggers back in prehistoric days. so was i . i am rn. i know preggers can do anything normal folks can do. only problems lie in special needs pregnancies. those are far more rare than once believed.
yes laundry in a bucket--is what the mizzen is for-- to hang the bed linen in front of the harbormaster.....set a GOOD example.
only sailors i know wearing pink pants were escapees from prison in phx, arizona, thanks to sheriff arpaio.
"learn to sort the fly **** from the pepper......." funny, but wasnt a living aboard tip, but it works. you will get many who give advice without knowledge.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:02   #112

Boat: 1994 Hunter 37.5

Best personal tip I've got from experience is to always check the quality of the water before you fill your tank - even in the US. We pulled into a marina somewhere on Florida's ICW right at sunset, and wanted to get an early start the next morning, so I just grabbed the hose and filled up the water tank from the hose bib on the dock pedestal before we walked to a restaurant for dinner. On the way back to the boat, I see the sign on the dock - 'Non-potable Water'.

Man, was it nasty! Really sufurous and oily smelling. Had to pump it all out while underway the next day. Then add a couple of cups of Clorox, refill and pump out twice more to get rid of the smell. A few weeks later, the pump filter started getting clogged with that clear, slimy algae that grows in water tanks, so had start all over and really clean it this time.

Ended up burning out the water pump before we finally got all that nasty stuff out of there.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:51   #113

Boat: Aloha 10.4 34' - "Nomad"

While there are certainly exceptions to this rule, the same type of social stratification exists on the water as on land.
I agree with this somewhat. There are some very rich people that are living just fine on a 1965 33' sailboat and would never think of anything more expensive. Conversly there are people that should never look at a boat bigger than 30' living aboard 50' $1,000,000 boats. While the stratification exists, you may be surprised at who is where on the strata.

The Nomad Blog Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call
Everything I know about cruising I learned from Travis McGee -
Don1500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: