Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2015, 16:16   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Best PNW Marinas? OR coast? Seattle WA?

Hey Strait Shooter, come on down to Astoria- we have a pretty protected bay that has a dingy dock about a mile away. Nobody will mess with you. Or you can come and rent a slip for 100 month. The seals can be noisy
PM me and I be I can arrange to sail with you, someone has to take care of an old badger like you!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 19:10   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

OK here goes to answer several questions with one post. Poulsbo never gave me any grief. They have a cop assigned to do marine patrol. As long as they see you spending money in town I have not been hassled. On eagle harbor the same thing just call the harbor master Tammi Allen for the code to the shore side showers. ( her number is 206 786 7627)
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 21:26   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds good Newhaul. I would be up there myself but I like Oregon.
Old 19-09-2015, 21:31   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Come on up next spring and cruise the sound for a year. You may never leave especially if you love fresh seafood ( I mean that you catch or dig the same day you eat it). Nirvana oysters Rockefeller and farm fresh eggs and vegies from April to October
Old 19-09-2015, 21:51   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK found it here is the official statement on anchoring in Washington waters
" Anchorage.
(1) What is the length of time that a vessel may be moored or anchored on state-owned aquatic lands? Persons shall not moor or anchor a vessel in the same area on state-owned aquatic lands for periods longer than thirty consecutive days or for more than a total of ninety days in any three hundred sixty-five day period. For purposes of WAC 332-52-155, "in the same area" means within a radius of five miles of any location where the vessel was previously moored or anchored. "
WAC 332-52-155: Anchorage.
Old 20-09-2015, 09:22   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a live feed from poulsbo atop the chandler there
LongshipMarine.com
Old 20-09-2015, 09:56   #52

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
I was thinking about anchoring out there this winter, and living aboard 3-4 days out of the week.
I'm living aboard full time now at anchor, but am a little exposed (Sequim Bay) for winter anchoring, although I have to admit, I'm very tempted to try.

I guess I'm asking if anyone knows the current anchoring situation in Poulsbo? I'd like to overwinter there.

Will I be hassled at all?
Don't know if you need to be close to town but you could join the gang at Mats Mats and cycle back and forth to Ludlow. With your draft you would need to find a good spot in Mats Mats but it's being done by others. Good spot for the winter blows
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 04:37   #53

Boat: Coast 30

posting here for want of a better place to post it. but Vancouver harbour Canada is in the Pacific north west, and there is a live aboard problem there where by the government's are forcing live a board poor people out on the false creek inner city where they were ridding on their hook/anchor for many years. most of these people cannot afford moorage rates and are close to homeless or would be homeless IF they did not have their boat.

Yesterday on Sunday 20th September the rode parted on a sail boat named 'Banshee' and it was blown ashore and subsequently demolished on the Vancouver Maritime Museums Heritage Harbour break water. If anyone knows who the owner of this vessel was please advise them of their loss.

Heads up to buy larger diameter stronger rope and replace it offten if you can afford it.& Perhaps set two anchors if possible?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 16:00   #54

Boat: Orca 38

Man.....typed a long response only to lose it to a software time out....frigging boo!

Newhaul,
great input...thank you so much for the response. I think I'll check out Poulsbo, spend some money, work on my boat, and keep moving

Idorakeeper,
I love Mats Mats, but holy hell, you drive your Ingrid in there! You got balls dude. I'll be down to Port Ludlow soon. Do you think I'd fit behind "The Sisters"? Will I find Idora on the docks there? I'd love to see her in person.

Beth, Beth, Beth,
It's time you came home Mark! You know it, we know it, hell, ferry drivers are still talking about you up here......😀

Good Morning from Sequim Bay

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1442876393.989383.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	109561
Old 21-09-2015, 17:12   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post

Beth, Beth, Beth,
It's time you came home Mark! You know it, we know it, hell, ferry drivers are still talking about you up here......��
It's gotten a lot better since I got AIS, but I still hook an occasional salmon in the seaway... I don't know why they always wait to bite until I am in a traffic lane...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	said-no-animal-ever.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	109563  
Old 14-09-2016, 00:34   #56
nrs

Well, I know this is a year old but as an update I have my eye on a few cascade 36s that Im contemplating getting a loan for... scary thought.

But if a survey checks out good and i can work a decent deal it looks to be the best boat for the money, and capable enough. Currently eating rice to save up enough, beer is a tough one.

May the money gods appease the need for the sea, and cure mi wobbly knees again.
nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 14:53   #57

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I guess I would find a job before a marina unless you are $ sufficient. I moved from Everett after 15 years to Cap Sante, Anacortes. Live aboard OK walking distance to everything and three marinas to choose from in the Anacortes area. Right on the easy edge of the San Juans and BC. But may be a bit low on the job situation. I have also berthed in Bellingham but the bay can get a bit wild for day sales as it is shallow. I was always able to sub a ship there in the summer and never challenged on the live aboard aspect. Again I would get settled on the job then find a marina. Boats are easy to buy and hard to sell.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 20:16   #58
nrs

1sunseeker well damn, Id written a reply and lost it.

Im steadily employeed currently, the lump sum of money is more an issue. I can theoretically afford a liveaboard slip outside Portland and the loan payments. The sailing on the river would be rather non existant however, and Im not sure the cost of refitting in Portland area vs further north.

Consequently I looked into jobs in Everret, Bellingham, even Vancouver and I think it shouldnt be too difficlt securing a job to pay bills. Which only stokes the fire to purchase a good dry boat all the sooner.

Thanks for the input!
Old 17-09-2016, 09:20   #59

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Before retiring I worked as a Contract Engineer, aka Job Shopper. In the San Fran. bay area it was easy and I followed the job site to the closest marina. Then moving the boat to Everett, WA it was more difficult but I did get contract work at Boeing and worked from Everett to Renton to follow their job transfers. Also worked as a checker in Port Angles and Bellingham and lived on the boat. This work all came to an end when I hit 62, 16 years ago. So my retirement job is selling Real Estate and one/two deals a year is all I need. Now things have changed a lot in the last 16 years and from what I read live aboards in the Bay Area have a much more difficult time. So I guess what I am saying after all this ramble is with your skills you can find good employment in the Salish Sea. And it is possible to find live aboard slips.

The facility I worked at in Port Angles was Rogerson-Hiller I had a sub slip in the local marina. I understand they are no longer there but a boat manufacture has located there. Maybe they can use you? Our tech center is not as vast as San Frans but we are gaining or maybe surpassed them in traffic. It can be a b----. I also have a friend who lives aboard and flies for United. He has very good hours. So come on up. Sometimes you can find a boat to sit/lease while the owners are following the wild geese. It would be a good way to experience our winters with out the outlay of a mortgage. Just thinking, Sunseeker.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 01:53   #60
nrs

Wow thanks sunseeker, definitely a lot to chew over and think about. That sounds like a much better plan, I was also thinking of looking for work in the bay but came to a similar conclusion regarding liveaboard slips down there.

It really would be great to cruise around the Salish sea and have steady employment as well.

Tags
marinas, seattle