Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-12-2008, 22:24   #16

Boat: 1987 Carver 32 Mv Missy
Hi I have lived in Alaska so long that my kids are in their 20's and they were born in Fairbanks. I loved reading the stories of people that have visited our coast and some of the things they say are correct , Alaska in the winter is not someplace you want to liveaboard in the winter at all.
I have had a masters for 13 years and got that in Valdez which I
truly love but do not even see in from October through April except to go deer hunting in the fall and like I said before, you can get stuck on the islands for a long time if a storm moves in for a week or more.
I now have a boat in Valdez and one in LaConner when I go once a month and feel like I am in florida compared to Valdez or
Fairbanks,
When they say you get snow on the coast they are not kidding.
I know several people that have lost vessels because of snow loads.

Best wishes and god bless if you go.

Old 21-12-2008, 16:18   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Nice place to visit, but don't want to winter there.

My boat is a big heavy wooden ocean cruising sailboat that sacrifices space for speed and seaworthiness. Not very good to live on in arctic climes. This boat is meant to keep moving so I plan to sail between where I am (Washington State) and Alaska next summer then return in the fall....I might even keep going south to warmer climes. I know a number of fisherman who have given me recommendations of where to stop along the way, but could always use more suggestions. I am a photographer and am working on securing an assistant/crew to go with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptypockets View Post
Hi I have lived in Alaska so long that my kids are in their 20's and they were born in Fairbanks. I loved reading the stories of people that have visited our coast and some of the things they say are correct , Alaska in the winter is not someplace you want to liveaboard in the winter at all.
I have had a masters for 13 years and got that in Valdez which I
truly love but do not even see in from October through April except to go deer hunting in the fall and like I said before, you can get stuck on the islands for a long time if a storm moves in for a week or more.
I now have a boat in Valdez and one in LaConner when I go once a month and feel like I am in florida compared to Valdez or
Fairbanks,
When they say you get snow on the coast they are not kidding.
I know several people that have lost vessels because of snow loads.

Best wishes and god bless if you go.

Old 25-01-2009, 18:28   #18

Boat: Blue Water Boats, Crealock Cutter,38'
Hi, I am wintering over in Craig, AK. My first two winters were spent in Cordova, AK. I'm new to sailing and living aboard, but I'm having a blast. Living aboard in the winter is definitely not for the faint of heart, but you meet some nifty folks on the floats. When most of the commerical fishermen leave and it's just you and the locals along with few other sailors that are wintering over life is great. Tales to be told and hardships shared, but it's good life. We had more storms than usual this fall they say and more than I experienced in Cordova the two falls I was there. It's warmer here in Craig than in Cordova with less snow. Both places have their fair share of storms and both are isolated from the rest of Alaska and the world as it were, which makes them great places to live or winterover. This spring and summer we'll tour southeast Alaska and enjoy every minute of it.

Tags
alaska

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: