Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 11:03   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
BEST marina in the Med?

I know it's a huge question but I've got some big decisions to make and I could do with all the help we can get.

We are headed for the Mediterranean and want to find the perfect marina or marinas to spend the winter at.. Actually, we like to explore so I think we will not stay in 1 place the whole winter. We have spent the last 10 months living on anchor in Europe and the Caribbean but due to a major lifestyle change... we have a baby on the way... we'd both like to live marina life at least until we figure out how our new addition and all the stuff that she comes with fits in the dinghy.

We are on a 45' cat so the high end marinas are out of our budget (even in winter). I have been quoted 2400euro per month in Ibiza town which just isn't affordable to us.

So I'm looking for affordable, friendly, good community, walking distance to town (nice bakery, coffee shop etc), safe, clean, not too far from a major airport and offers good shelter from any nasty weather. Plus no nasty weather please.

I'm open to any and all suggestions and then I'll get researching.

Thanks in advance,

Dave and Hayley

ps. so far on our travels we have paid for a mooring ball in Porto Cervo, Sardinia @ 150/night (we stayed 1 night) and more recently 250/night @ Alantis Marina, Nassau (we stayed 1 night). Both these were incredible but 1 night is all we can afford in those places and we need somewhere to live for 6 months.
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:21   #2

Re: BEST marina in the Med?

Dave, Being no tax expert, my advise is research VAT enforcement rules at whatever EU country you choose, so no nasty surprises in 6 months!
Valiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 17:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

club nautico in palma for a 45ft cat would be about 800euro a month from 1st oct till 1st april
close to shops,resturants etc

cartagena marina is also popular with cruisers and reasonably priced year round,in the center of town
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 17:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BEST marina in the Med?

Almerimar marina is about the cheapest in the Med.. comfortable winter weather.. some even go swimming in the afternoons.. well protected marina.
It has a Spanish/UK flavour and some nice bars and restaurants.. an excellent supermarket in the marina complex which is huge.. everything one needs boat wise from sailmaker to chandlers etc.. banks, bakers, you name it.. a superb modern hospital 15mins drive away and trains to Madrid 30mins away.. 40mins and your at the airport for flights North.
The staff are friendly and helpful and last time I took a L380 there it was €19.70/night short stay water and elec included.. so a few months in advance would fetch a 20% discount at least.
Car hire is available from several offices for runs to Gib or inland to the White Villages, Granada etc..
But its one of those places you love or hate.. I like it.. that's why its on my places to stop if sailing by.
Actually Gib is only 100 odd miles away so you could sail there in less than 24hrs rather than drive..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	431903-15791-Almerimar-Townhouse_Crop_760_500.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	169690   Click image for larger version

Name:	484123-15176-Almerimar-Apartment_Crop_760_500.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	169691  

Click image for larger version

Name:	431977-15791-Almerimar-Townhouse_Crop_0_0.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	169692   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled 1.png
Views:	329
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	169693  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 08:19   #5

Look no further Sant Carles de la Rapita mainland Spain 45340
No extra charge for multihulls just length

Regards David
drcot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 08:44   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

I know that in Sardinia (not Porto Cervo) but near by in town of Cannigione there is a marina that is not expensive. Town has good services. Also check the marina called Portisco-a bit sleepy in winter. Olbia is 25 minute drive for catching flights.Quote on line was 4,128.52 euros from october to June 1-includes water and electricity. about 590/mo.

There are many marinas along Italian coast line, Sicily and Sardegna (further south and on the west coast) that are very reasonable during winter season from October to or through May.

mwmsea
mwmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 09:07   #7

Boat: Antares 44i

We keep our Antares 44i in Porto Turistico Marina di Ragusa, on the south coast of Sicily. I don't remember what we are paying (we paid 2 years in advance), but it is rumored to be among the cheapest in the Med. Marina di Ragusa is a sleepy town of 3,000 in the winter, but the sailing community at the marina staying the winter numbers around 300, and a number of the locals love to socialize with them too. Warmish winters and great jumping off point to explore a fascinating island.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 09:07   #8

I just checked on the marina Boatman61 mentioned and he is correct. Hard to find anything cheaper in the med with as good a services and weather unless you want to go to North Africa .

Mike
Old 13-05-2018, 09:10   #9

Boat: Antares 44i

Hi Dave and Hayley and greetings from Fiji,

Porto Cervo...Ibiza...no wonder your prices were steep. We are circumnavigating, spent two wonderful seasons in the Med, and those were among the most expensive places we experienced.

You need to think of winter weather which will limit your options because the northern med will be freezing.

Also, you didn’t say what your nationality is, but if you’re American, you can’t be in a Schengen country for longer than 90 days out of six months. I suggest you consider Turkey. We spent a winter there - in Kas at the Setur Marina. It was LOVELY! And they gave us a great monthly rate. Talk to Umit and tell him Golden Glow sent you. The Turkish way is to Negotiate! The marina was new and clean and modern. Great facilities including restaurants, spa, chandlery, grocery store, swimming pool and tennis court. The town of Kas is five minutes away by car, 20 walking, and has everything you’ll need. It is a few hours to the two closest major airports.

After 40,000+ miles and more countries than I can count, Turkey is still up there as among our top favorites. The people are so kind and friendly. We never felt anything but welcomed as we sailed in 2015-2016.

Marmaris is another town a bit west that has a huge expat community (many Brits, some Germans, a good number of Americans, and others) and has a lovely harbor. There are marinas there too, and another excellent option.

Good luck with your baby - happy early Mother’s Day! Ellen
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 10:50   #10

Boat: Gauntlet 12 ton

We are currently in Fethiye, Turkey and will be applying for temporary residency to allow us to overwinter. The Ece Marina here has great long term rates - the charges are based in square meterage of your vessel.
As regards Europe, we are NZ citizens which allows us to spend 90 days in each Schengen country but we can than then move on to another Schengen country for another 90 days and so on. After 180 days we could return to the original country if we wished. Our immediate goal is southern Sicily where there are also some great marinas by all accounts at very good rates. Then there is always Tunisia - not far away for when you need to re-set the clock for the EU. Albania is also another up and coming alternative to the EU.
jasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 11:11   #11

Cheers for all the replies so far... please keep them coming.

I'm compiling a list and emailing all the marinas... noonsite is great eh! I'm really fancying mainland southern Spain as our first stop back in the Med so I expect Almerimar and / or Cartegena will get a visit. These also look good to get some boat jobs I want doing, I'm ripping out the saloon sofas and putting something comfy in but keep an eye on our 450 thread for details on that. Plus we can take the little one skiing (is 4 months too young to ski?)(i'm clueless) in Sierra Nevada which would be awesome.

Then I think Palma and from there head east to southern Sardinia (last time we only made it to the north and I was gutted I didn't make it to Sicily last time so defo heading there before Greece.

I absolutely love this stage of planning a trip and can spend hours looking at Navionics! Why did I not buy a sail boat years ago?! They're awesome!

Nice to meet you Elles Belles and thanks. We're Brits so for now at least we are still welcome in Europe. It might be lucky timing for us that we're heading back while it's still easy. Oh, we also did Positano, Portifino, Capri, Monaco... if I did I miss any of Europe's most expensive destinations then I'm sure Hayley will get us to them this time around.
Old 13-05-2018, 12:25   #12

can someone help me understand the time one can stay say in Italy or a Schengen country with a yacht.

When I was in Italy in 2002-2006 I know one could keep their vessel for 180 days in EU waters without paying VAT.

I am hearing from the thread that it is 90 days for every 180 day period. Is this because of VAT or the max for a tourist visa to stay in the EU?

What happens if you move around every 90 days to a different Schengen Country. Does this elimintae having to get a longer term VISA?

Thanks for the help.

MWMSEA
Old 13-05-2018, 12:44   #13

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmsea View Post
can someone help me understand the time one can stay say in Italy or a Schengen country with a yacht.

When I was in Italy in 2002-2006 I know one could keep their vessel for 180 days in EU waters without paying VAT.

I am hearing from the thread that it is 90 days for every 180 day period. Is this because of VAT or the max for a tourist visa to stay in the EU?

What happens if you move around every 90 days to a different Schengen Country. Does this elimintae having to get a longer term VISA?

Thanks for the help.

MWMSEA
Not to hijack the OP's post, but to answer your question...

A search on this forum will give you multiple hits on this topic that you can read to you heart's content. In general, as US citizens, you can stay in the Schengen zone for 90 days out of any 180 day period. The VAT is a totally separate issue that concerns the boat, not people. Again, as a US documented vessel, you can have your boat in the Eurozone for 18 months before you must pay VAT. You can restart the 18 months by leaving the eurozone for a period of time which is unspecified. In practice, a couple of weeks in Montenegro, Albania, Tunisia, Morocco, or Turkey will suffice. Some have made it by taking a very short stop in Gibraltar, but this is more of a gray area subject to interpretation by officials.

The 18 months winds up being much less of a constraint that the Schengen restrictions of 90 days out of any 180 day period. Changing countries will not help you with Schengen. It's 90 days anywhere in the Schengen zone, then leave for 90 days.

Spend some time with the search function and you will get all you can handle. Cheers!

Steve
A Fort Worth Texan cruising the Med
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 12:57   #14

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post

So I'm looking for affordable, friendly, good community, walking distance to town (nice bakery, coffee shop etc), safe, clean, not too far from a major airport and offers good shelter from any nasty weather. Plus no nasty weather please.

I'm open to any and all suggestions and then I'll get researching.

Thanks in advance,

Dave and Hayley
We have also stayed at Marina di Ragusa the past two winters and can highly recommend it. Two things that you may find attractive - there is a large English-speaking contingent of boats there, and there has been a recent push by some of the cruising boats with children to stay there. This past winter there were (I think) 18 children on the boats. As your child grows, say two or three years from now, it is nice to have a marina with other families with children around.

I believe it meets the rest of your criteria, also.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 13:13   #15

Nice one, added to the list.

Any VAT advice is also very welcome. Do I apply for the TA (temporary admission) upon clearing customs when we arrive in Portugal or do I need to have pre arranged this?