Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 19:41   #1

Boat: Catalina 38
Best Liveaboard Places in USVI/VI Area

Hi, all! I'm new to the forum but I read it all the time.
I've been sailing my whole life and when I graduated college a few years back I bought myself a Catalina 38 which I spend most of my time on.

I plan to move to the VI's in the fall but I would much prefer to live on my boat instead of a house. What are some "liveaboard-friendly" marinas? Has anyone ever stayed in Turtle Cove, TCI?

Thanks in advance!

Madde
madde889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 19:58   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 351
Re: Best Liveaboard Places in USVI/VI Area

Compass Point and Independent Boat Yard both allow liveaboards.

On the hook, Jessup Bay, Benner Bay, and Elephant Bay are the most common liveaboards areas on STT.

On STJ Great Cruz Bay, Cruz Bay, and Coral Bay are the most common anchorages for liveaboards.

Best to know what your plans are...work, school, hang, sail, etc

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVArgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 20:17   #3

Looking to find a job somewhere!
Old 01-05-2015, 20:46   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by madde889 View Post
Hi, all! I'm new to the forum but I read it all the time.
I've been sailing my whole life and when I graduated college a few years back I bought myself a Catalina 38 which I spend most of my time on.I plan to move to the VI's in the fall but I would much prefer to live on my boat instead of a house. What are some "liveaboard-friendly" marinas? Has anyone ever stayed in Turtle Cove, TCI?
Thanks in advance! Madde
Turtle Cove is in the Turks and Caicos Islands - not the Virgin Islands. T&C is a foreign country so working there would require a work permit. And the rates at Turtle Cove are extremely high when you look up their website.

Others have listed the places in the US Virgins that are popular with Live-aboards. And the US Virgins are part of the USA so working is not a problem for a US citizen. You just have to find a job.

Also living "on the hook" for an extended period of time in the US Virgins usually requires a permit from the government which is both time consuming and expensive but can be done as there are lots of people who have done it.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:45   #5

Boat: Hunter 36 - Simple Pleasures
Send a message via AIM to Subrock Send a message via Yahoo to Subrock
Wink Re: Best Liveaboard Places in USVI/VI Area

Check out Green Key Marina in St. Croix. Lots of facilities and reasonable rates, in fact they just lowered their rates for monohulls. And, it is a good hurricane harbor. Or, you can anchor in Christiansted Harbor. In any case, good luck, I'm a liveaboard too and love it.
Rock
Old 02-05-2015, 07:45   #6

Boat: Shannon 38

St Croix has a significant boating community as well. There are several marinas but if you are intending to live on the hook, your choices are:
A large community in Christiansted harbor;
A small community off of Fredricksted on the west end;
The St Croix Yacht Club at Teague Bay; and,
Salt River on the north coast. (Caveat: if you draw much over 5'6" entry and exit must be timed to the tides and can be tricky)
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:48   #7

I should have made those two completely separate thoughts in the original post! Looking for VI spot or somewhere in the carib area.

Good information about extended anchoring. Thank you!

I'd prefer to stay at a dock, mostly for convenience.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:53   #8

Boat: 1967 Chris Craft Cavalier 33'

On STX it's actually called Green Cay Marina. We have been there during a trip when I became ill. It's adjacent the TRR resort. It's nice and it is expensive ... 22.50 per foot monohull plus electric which is really high with WAPA. It is a hurricane hole. It has all the facilities. There is a great restaurant there called the Deep End. I wouldn't recommend using Salt River to anchor ... lots of derelict boats plus all the locals head there during a storm and it gets congested fast. Christiansted Harbor is all moorings ... with lots of commercial activities ... people do anchor but they are much further out where there is a strong westerly current. Don't expect to find suitable work on St Croix. Hovensa closed a few years back ... they lost 3000 jobs. Times are tough.
Bikini Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:55   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

But if you are intending to work on an Island in the Caribbean then to avoid the hassles of trying to get a work permit you are pretty much limited to Puerto Rico and the US Virgins.

Job opportunities are more abundant in St Thomas where they have 20-30 million cruise ship tourist visiting every year. St. Croix is more residential so if you have building or home improvement skills that would be a possible choice. The main problem with working in Puerto Rico is you need to be completely fluent in P.R. Spanish.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Someone may be better at recommending a marine with employment potential close, if they knew your field?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:16   #11

That is a bit pricey. Thank you for all that information, it's very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-05-2015, 09:19   #12

Best Liveaboard Places in USVI/VI Area

I'm a music teacher and sailing director but I dabble in yacht sales and minor repair work. Looking to find work teaching sailing or perhaps at a chartering business. My 5 year plan is to get my license and do charters.
I do speak Spanish but I'd prefer not to live in PR. Beautiful island but, after visiting, it's not quite for me.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:56   #13

Boat: 1967 Chris Craft Cavalier 33'

As long as your still in the early planning stages ... here is some more info. We're about to depart for our 6th trip to St Croix. Every time I'm on island someone asks me to work for them ... there is work ... you will not get rich ... you will survive. A lot of expats that still need to work have two part time jobs. But you have to be on island to get the offers. As a music instructor you have a big plus ... Crucians educate their children and they are into music. Charter services out of C'Std to Buck Island consistently does well. Strong open water swimmers can always find work doing the charters. Are you going to sail your Catalina down there?
Bikini Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikini Blues View Post
As long as your still in the early planning stages ... here is some more info. We're about to depart for our 6th trip to St Croix. Every time I'm on island someone asks me to work for them ... there is work ... you will not get rich ... you will survive. A lot of expats that still need to work have two part time jobs. But you have to be on island to get the offers. As a music instructor you have a big plus ... Crucians educate their children and they are into music. Charter services out of C'Std to Buck Island consistently does well. Strong open water swimmers can always find work doing the charters. Are you going to sail your Catalina down there?
Yes, I'm in the early stages. I plan to go down in late August, early September. Insurance company won't let me go below Savannah before a certain date so I may either take the trip on the boat or have it shipped down. It all depends on if I get one of the jobs I've applied for or not. I do know a few people in St. John and St. Thomas who I could stay with until the boat arrives.
If I don't get my applied job, I won't be heartbroken. I'm not looking to get rich but I am looking to sustain myself. I do not want to shovel 120" of snow ever again in my lifetime!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:15   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madde889 View Post
I'm a music teacher and sailing director but I dabble in yacht sales and minor repair work. Looking to find work teaching sailing or perhaps at a chartering business. My 5 year plan is to get my license and do charters.
I do speak Spanish but I'd prefer not to live in PR. Beautiful island but, after visiting, it's not quite for me.

A music teacher, find a job in a high class tourist piano bar, for tips.
Not trying to be a wise ass.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard