Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-08-2012, 10:00   #46

Boat: 27ft catalina
Re: Best Heater for a 30-Footer ?

The Dickinson propane heaters are vented with a dual chamber chimney fresh air in and exhaust out so none of the dampness that propane creates and less concern for c02

Old 30-08-2012, 07:37   #47

I use a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy, a catalytic propane heater. It keeps my Newport 41S warm (but not hot) when it is freezing outside. It needs to have a hatch cracked to get enough oxygen. It doesn't produce CO. Will run about 5 days at low output on a Lowe's propane tank or several hours on a 1 lb green bottle. To use a big tank get a connector hose and look for a tank level gage at Lowe's/Home Depot or your local hardware store.

Old 30-08-2012, 18:05   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashtego View Post
I use a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy, a catalytic propane heater. It keeps my Newport 41S warm (but not hot) when it is freezing outside. It needs to have a hatch cracked to get enough oxygen. It doesn't produce CO. Will run about 5 days at low output on a Lowe's propane tank or several hours on a 1 lb green bottle. To use a big tank get a connector hose and look for a tank level gage at Lowe's/Home Depot or your local hardware store.
My post #43 in this thread I mention a catalytic wall mount heater. They advertise that it puts out no CO as well. I had one in a motorhome years ago, and it worked great. It was like a mini fireplace when lit.
-Bruce
Old 30-08-2012, 22:06   #49

Boat: Celestial 48

In regards to non-vented combustion heaters:
All combustion heaters in perfect condtions produce "no CO". It only when things are not perfect that CO is produced. These heaters are not perfect.
I would never install or use a non-vented combustion heater in a boat. If the combustion unit malfunctions it can create CO and kill everyone on board.
In any case, the combustion process will be removing Oxygen and replacing with CO2. Need to operate in a ventilated space or suffocate.
Old 30-08-2012, 22:21   #50

Boat: Celestial 48

Also:
Products of combustion (when perfect) are CO2 and H20 (water). Any non-vented combustion heater will be adding water vapor to the inside of your boat. Assuming its cold outside (duh), the cold surfaces of the boat will condense the moisture and you will soon be all wet and moldy.

An electric heat does not generate any moisture and does not need to be vented to the outside. Of course, will likely need to run generator. Good option if plugged in at the dock however.

Good propane and diesel heaters have products of combustion vented to outside to remove moisture, CO2 and any CO (if present). Need to make sure you have sufficent source of makeup air to replace the air vented to the outside by the unit (open dorade vents or a partially open port somewhere). Also need to be careful where opening is: A open port on the lee side of boat in a breeze can cause the boat's interior to go to a negative pressure and back-draft the products of combustion from the flue (air comes in flue stack instead of going out of it). This can be a serious safety problem.
Old 30-08-2012, 23:15   #51

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I am sure you all know propane is heavier than air, and any propane leaks inside a boat, fill the boat from the floor up with the explosive gas.

Be careful with propane.
Old 30-08-2012, 23:30   #52

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I have a charcoal briquette heater. I am told, 4 briquettes will keep my 32 foot Clipper Marine toasty all night long.

After purchasing the sailboat, I removed the heater to make way for a large size dorm fridge and microwave. I have yet to remove the ductwork.

I may rethink the need for a good, clean, cheep source of heat and keep my little heater. I believe it will burn wood as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: