Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2009, 12:43   #31

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
The problem with pellets is they must remain very dry. Could be an issue on a boat. Plus the BTU per fuel stored is probably not very good compared to other fuels.
Old 22-08-2009, 18:55   #32

Boat: CSY33
Re: Toyoset NS 2800 Cabin Heater installtion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcdowell View Post
We finally got the kinks worked out in the installation of the Cabin heater and it is working great!
Where did you run the ducting?
How much current is it drawing?
Does the case get very warm to touch?
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 10:30   #33

Boat: C&C 29
after two winters living aboard our 29ft C&C in Newfoundland heating our boat with electric fan heaters using shore power, This winter I shall be making a solid fuel heater for the boat.

This will be made from a propane bottle with a door cut into the side and a chimney up through the roof. I recently met a French guy in St Pierre who had made a heater like this and it worked very efficiently and kept his boat very warm.

There is always free wood around!
snapdragon747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 11:40   #34

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Boat US surveys say these are the number one specific source of boat fires! Most boat fires are electrically ignited (80%). These heaters are maybe the most poorly built products on the market. But they are cheap so get a few! They don't hold up to the duty cycle of heating an exterior environment. Most residential heaters don't hold up on a boat. It's the wiring that causes the fire not the heat from the heater. Save it for that back room in the house that gets a bit chilly. It's what they do best.

If your boat starts on fire there is a very small chance they won't cut the dock lines and shove it loose. It's the first thing any dock master does with a boat fire. Once the fiberglass starts to burn it's all over. The heat and smoke are amazing. It takes a long time to put the fire out at that point. You get to pay to have the hull hauled and disposed of. Boat fires are not trivial.
Pblais: Thanks for the "head up" on the oil-filled electric heaters. I won't leave mine on again while off the boat!
Old 26-08-2009, 16:49   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i used a space heater similar to so pac brand for a bit--until the 3000w genny i used to run it flamed out---kat told me by biting my elbow very very hard that there was a problem but i didnt know kat talk until i got a fone call from a friend that my bbq was flaming nicely--i put out the fire and i will not again use a heater on my boat--i do use my kerosene lamps wisely and they do make a difference...i was very very lucky.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 18:29   #36

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
a kerosene lamp may help take the chill out of the air where you are zeehag but here in BC winters we need a little extra help most of the time my dickenson propane heater works great but when we get those excessive cold snaps i use a caframo cabin heater or an radiated oil heater to keep the boat warm.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 18:34   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
a kerosene lamp may help take the chill out of the air where you are zeehag but here in BC winters we need a little extra help most of the time my dickenson propane heater works great but when we get those excessive cold snaps i use a caframo cabin heater or an radiated oil heater to keep the boat warm.
i have a dickinson diesel heater and i have a force 10 propane cabin heater---neither is installed and they are seeking new homes ....i plan on going to warmer waters....neither is an electric space heater.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 18:12   #38

Re: Best Heater for a 30-Footer?

Anyone have any experience with these type units?

Wall Mounted Panel Heaters | Best Wall Mounted Space Heater | Wall Mount Room Space Heater

Envi High-Efficiency Electric Panel Heater Unplggd Test Lab | Apartment Therapy

Top 10 Reasons to Pick Envi Heater Over Propane Marine Heater | | This Is The Little LifeThis Is The Little Life
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 20:14   #39

Boat: Watkins 29'

This looks interesting... The ceramic heaters work well but are energy pigs, Envi's 450 watt max would be an attractive consideration. Hope these unit's perform well.
Old 20-08-2012, 20:31   #40

Boat: Haida 26

I use a force 10 propane and love it, have to keep it turned down low so I can sleep at night. Great for cold night passages. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 22:06   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The only problem with electric heaters is they aren't vented to the outside. They don't dry out the boat like a vented heater will. Lived a winter in Norfolk with electric heaters and every surface in the boat was coated with condensation once the temps dropped much below 50 degrees. For a quick, unobtrusive way to generate heat, they will probably work fine. Would still go for some kind of vented propane, diesel, or wood burning heater if you are living aboard where it gets cold.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 22:32   #42

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We heated a 42 ft steel boat stem to stern with a dickerson diesel stove with a water heating coil installed by the company. We used a 80 gal insulated hot water tank and a pump system to run the hot water to bus heaters in each compartment, except the salon where the heater was installed. It kept us warm from Alaska, to Peru, and in the cold water aroung japan!! worked for years with only minor upkeep! just sayin if your handie ya can make a system that will keep ya toasty warm !!!
Old 21-08-2012, 06:57   #43

Re: Best Heater for a 30-Footer ?

What about those wall mount Catalytic Heater's? They burn propane, & look like a mini fireplace when lit. Also they say they put out zero emission.
Anyone use those? They seem like a good option.
-Bruce
Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 06:58   #44

80 gallon hot water tank?? Where'd you put it, Bob...on its own set of davits?
Old 21-08-2012, 07:47   #45

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
What about those wall mount Catalytic Heater's? They burn propane, & look like a mini fireplace when lit. Also they say they put out zero emission.
Anyone use those? They seem like a good option.
-Bruce
Without being vented, they will cause condensation. What about carbon monoxide, That would make a little nervous...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote