Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 09:42   #1

Best destinations for Spring through Fall

I'm planning ahead for near full time liveaboard status in about 2 years. I'm looking at destinations well ahead of time as it might impact where we choose to buy the boat (e.g., Asia or Australia vs Europe).

For background, we plan to keep a more permanent home in Phoenix, AZ to be near aging parents, our three kids (all to soon be in college), and other family and friends. Our intent is to liveaboard for anywhere from 8-18 months at a time, and given the weather in Phoenix, always be on the boat from at least May through October, and often longer as the mood strikes. My guess is we most often would come back to Phoenix in late November through early January to spend the holidays catching up with family. My wife does not want to cross major oceans herself, so any major crossings (beyond maybe a week) would at a minimum require I get extra crew to assist me or in some cases maybe we pay for a delivery crew. We don't want to lock ourselves down to a limited number of locations and cultures as the big reason for this is to see much of the world outside of the major tourist destinations and experience remote cultures.

So... given weather patterns, where are your recommendations? My gut tells me the South Pacific gives us the most options to continually move to new countries and areas over a 4-6 year period without month long passages. Europe and the Med seem like options as well, but would be chilly in the shoulder months, plus are a smaller area than the Pacific.

Interested in your thoughts and experiences.
Kgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:36   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Best destinations for Spring through Fall

Remember once latitude changes, words like "spring" and "fall" become increasingly imprecise, and actually flip in the south.

Best to just deal in month-ranges, and a location for your default / home / base / starting point.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:52   #3

Re: Best destinations for Spring through Fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Remember once latitude changes, words like "spring" and "fall" become increasingly imprecise, and actually flip in the south.

Best to just deal in month-ranges, and a location for your default / home / base / starting point.
Yes... I thought about that but assumed being a .com site that the majority of posters here were US based or at least Northern hemisphere and would have a shared perception of seasons. In an attempt to leave it more open ended versus specific starting and ending dates, I opted to use seasonal references (i.e., I don't have a reason to care whether it starts in February vs April where the term spring seems to have a more open ended starting point). It's still an oversight on my part since even those from the northern half of earth will flip their use of "summer" once they take their boat over the equator.

So to be clear... I'm looking for ideas for the best broad geographies to safely spend roughly February through early November +/- a couple months and sometimes extending for the full calendar year until the following end of season.

Thanks for helping me clarify that.
Kgrove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
destination