Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-07-2014, 18:38   #1

Best City-Facility for Winter: Brunswick/Beaufort/Charleston

Just bought a HR39 in Md and need to bring it south for Winter. Insurance company says cost is 50% more in FL. Any thoughts on the which city North of Jacksonville is best to winter at? I will be flying in from Texas occasionally to perfect my skills on the boat and learn its systems till departing for the Carib in January. I want to get some bluewater time for week at a time and enjoy the city too. Don't need much yard-work done on the boat. I like warmer better than colder! Facilities-Location-Access-Expense are my factors to consider. Any ideas? Thanks for your input.

Old 02-07-2014, 20:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Best City-Facility for Winter: Brunswick/Beaufort/Charleston

Brunswick will be the warmest but not night and day different from Charleston. But two downsides. Brunswick is a pretty small town and not a whole lot going on there although there is a West Marine. Also fewer options for flying in. But it is a cheap, safe place to keep a boat.

For more local options for restaurants and such I would pick Charleston.

Beaufort also a smaller town with less to do, further north and a bit colder in winter.

Old 02-07-2014, 21:21   #3

Thanks Skipmac--any suggestions on good marinas in Charleston??
Old 02-07-2014, 21:49   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The only time I stayed in Charleston on my boat I was at the City Marina. I was very satisfied with the stay. Price wasn't outrageous, location good, clean, nice, quiet, etc.

The main downside, the current rips through there when the tide changes. When I first arrived I got caught in a dead end fairway by the gas dock and was barely able to get turned around and exit before I was swept down against a beautiful 80' sloop with a $100,000 paint job.

Almost daily shows of bumper boats when people try to maneuver around the docks when the current is running. Looking at the charts I think this will be a problem and any of the marinas on the rivers around the downtown area. We made sure we got a slip on the down current side when we docked and waited for slack to leave.
Old 02-07-2014, 21:55   #5

SkipMac-- I will be solo most of time; Charleston sounds like trouble lurking several times a day as I make my trips to and fro.....
Old 02-07-2014, 22:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It would indeed be demanding to dock there single handed when the current is running. I figured it was at least 2 kts or better. I saw two marine version fender-benders the first weekend.

There is a good period of slack tide but you would have to wait for it. Would depend on your sailing plans. If you fly in, leave for a few days to cruise, come back when your done then that's only one in, one out to time for slack. If you plan to day sail and will be in and out a lot and solo then it will be really good practice for boat handling but I would pay for a lower deductible on my insurance.
Old 03-07-2014, 15:40   #7

Pretty good marina out on Folly Beach and another out on the isle of palms. All right outside Charleston proper. Also good place over in mt pleasant side next to the patriots point maritime museum. Another option might be up in Oriental NC. Same temps for the most part.

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-07-2014, 16:49   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Maybe want to check out New Bern as well.
Old 03-07-2014, 17:03   #9

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

Have you ruled out Jacksonville? Boat US covers me to Jax. It's a fair distance to get to the Ocean, but there's decent day sailing on the Rivers.
Old 05-07-2014, 15:47   #10

Boat: Island Packet 380

We're in St. Simons Island until hurricane season is over

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-07-2014, 16:22   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhildy View Post
Just bought a HR39 in Md and need to bring it south for Winter. Insurance company says cost is 50% more in FL. Any thoughts on the which city North of Jacksonville is best to winter at? I will be flying in from Texas occasionally to perfect my skills on the boat and learn its systems till departing for the Carib in January. I want to get some bluewater time for week at a time and enjoy the city too. Don't need much yard-work done on the boat. I like warmer better than colder! Facilities-Location-Access-Expense are my factors to consider. Any ideas? Thanks for your input.
We live (ashore now) and keep our 36ft Beneteau Oceanis 36 in Daytona Beach Fl, prior to that we lived on a 47ft Marine Trader Trawler in the same marina, Halifax Harbor in Daytona Beach. Our insurance with SEAWORTHY, through Novamar as brokers, allows us all 12 months in commission and the only thing that costs more for the hurricane season is that the deductible rises for anyclaims/damage in a 'named' storm. Halifax Harbor is very a sheltered marina, has all floating docks in the main( southernmost of 2) basin, is liked by insurers and is the haven of choice for those that have to vacate moorings in the area or their slips in other less protected marinas. The nearest ocean inlet, at Ponce Inlet, is 8 miles away. we pay $10/ft /month on a12 month contract and $40/month for a 30A power cord, not metered, cable TV is extra and weekly holding tank pumpouts in the slip are free. Daytona Beach International Airport is A 10 minute taxi ride away marina has Wifi, excellent bathouse, good (gated) security and superb helpful staff. IT is not a full service marina but all trades are available locally pretty much and you can lift out next door at Aquamarina for work ashore if needed There are vacant slips currently available for most sizes and liveaboards are allowed, even full time. Call them and tell them the Limey from 'E ' dock recommended you.

Halifax Harbor Marina | Daytona Beach, Florida THE OFFICIAL SITE
Old 05-07-2014, 19:23   #12

All of the Charleston marinas have tough current - hard for single handing.

Consider Isle of Hope Marina near Savannah. Very little current and docks aligned with it. Great staff ready to help you. 10 minutes by car into the city (free loaner car). Not far to the ocean.
Old 05-07-2014, 19:41   #13

Boat: Albin 27 FC

When I was living on our 42' sailboat near Savannah, we stayed at a small marina on Wilmington Island. There were lots of private docks available also and at very reasonable cost. Savannah is a great place to kill time and if you are inland a mile or so, the weather is much less of a concern. The current is slight and never had a problem docking. Highly recommend the area! Ben
Old 06-07-2014, 08:59   #14

We had our boat at Cooper River marina for 4-5 years. There is current everywhere in Charleston. Dock hands check every boat's dock lines every day, not a fancy marina. It is in a bad part of the area, not walkable to anything. Charleston Harbor is at a big hotel, Hilton I think so there is a pool. It is across the bay from Charleston. A little out of the way. Charleston City marine has current and bus route to downtown. Downtown Charleston is great with a large number of restaurants and shops. Food is simply great. Charleston also has a grown up airport for travel.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin

Tags
beaufort

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: