Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2013, 03:38   #76
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,828
Images: 4
Nibbler has his own berth though he prefers sleeping on the wifes throat. He was born for sailing. He acts like a dog and loves people and even big groups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130417_053607.png
Views:	85
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	59332  
__________________

__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:34   #77
Registered User
 
Visarend's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mediterranean
Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)
Posts: 25
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

Our couple of Belgian Malinois are the ultimate weapon against boredom.
On the plus side:
- they have no problem in jumping on and off the tender (1 m freeboard);
- they deposit their product on the bow, far from the cockpit;
- rugged and marinised, can stay on board for days on;
- they swim very well;
- no mice and rats;
- no thieves admitted.
On the minus:
- need a lot of exercise (swimming, runnin, jumping);
- must keep alcohol stored away (love drinking);
- need proper training (dog and owner, I mean) to keep under control;
- new friends must be cautiously introduced.
Dartagnan and Cristal:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1948.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	59342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6486.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	59343  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7617.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	59344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7794 1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	59345  

__________________

__________________
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:04   #78
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,201
Images: 52
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visarend View Post
Our couple of Belgian Malinois are the ultimate weapon against boredom.
On the plus side:
- they have no problem in jumping on and off the tender (1 m freeboard);
- they deposit their product on the bow, far from the cockpit;
- rugged and marinised, can stay on board for days on;
- they swim very well;
- no mice and rats;
- no thieves admitted.
On the minus:
- need a lot of exercise (swimming, runnin, jumping);
- must keep alcohol stored away (love drinking);
- need proper training (dog and owner, I mean) to keep under control;
- new friends must be cautiously introduced.
Dartagnan and Cristal:



Lol, Malinois that love to drink! Do you do Schutzhund?
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:07   #79
Registered User
 
Visarend's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mediterranean
Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)
Posts: 25
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

@Minaret: they are trained for Mondioring. (An international mix of Belgian Ring/French Ring rules)
__________________
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:27   #80
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,201
Images: 52
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visarend View Post
@Minaret: they are trained for Mondioring. (An international mix of Belgian Ring/French Ring rules)



Very nice. Beautiful dogs. I did Scutzhund with my Cane Corso, previously pictured on this thread.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 11:43   #81
Registered User
 
Octopussy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cruising in Florida right now...
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37
Posts: 77
Images: 1
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

I'm with Minaret...

We have two Chesapeake Bay Retrievers.

They were bred to be in boats, are awesome swimmers (webbed feet), ours actually prefer swimming to running, and they are great guard dogs.

They are not "Yappie" but will bark if someone tries to enter their territory: i.e. the boat. Bonus!

Bigger bonus is that they'll do more than just bark if someone actually does get aboard. [the oldest has been professionally trained by a K-9 trainer-- we're still working with the puppy]

They are smart, and fiercely loyal.

All-around, we thought they were the best breed for us. Word of warning though... they're not for everyone. They are so damn smart, that they will take advantage of a "weak" human. You need to be the Alpha with this breed, or they will walk all over you!

Cheers,
S/V Octopussy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Chessies 2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	59414  
__________________
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 13:52   #82
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,201
Images: 52
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
I'm with Minaret...

We have two Chesapeake Bay Retrievers.

They were bred to be in boats, are awesome swimmers (webbed feet), ours actually prefer swimming to running, and they are great guard dogs.

They are not "Yappie" but will bark if someone tries to enter their territory: i.e. the boat. Bonus!

Bigger bonus is that they'll do more than just bark if someone actually does get aboard. [the oldest has been professionally trained by a K-9 trainer-- we're still working with the puppy]

They are smart, and fiercely loyal.

All-around, we thought they were the best breed for us. Word of warning though... they're not for everyone. They are so damn smart, that they will take advantage of a "weak" human. You need to be the Alpha with this breed, or they will walk all over you!

Cheers,
S/V Octopussy

Been waiting for you to show up on this thread! Having one Chessie, I don't know how you handle two! They're a handful!
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 13:55   #83
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Hi. I'm back!

I have a cat. She enjoys the boat greatly. When I'm moving -- sailing or motor -- I have her in the cockpit in a carrier, and she loves it. Interestingly, it turns out to be much safer. There's one very big power boater around here who likes to throw a heavy wake and "roll" sailboats. He got me good the first day I had her in the cockpit, doing a close U around my bow. The boat was thrown around violently, and I think she might have been badly hurt or killed if she had been below. But her carrier was right next to me, and I was able to hold her safe.

Don't know what gets into some people, but I'm not going to take someone like that on.
Glad your back and have a new boat friend to boot ..
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 13:57   #84
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
And when aboard your boat, do you call him Sushi?
Only with rice ,otherwise its Shashimi..lol
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 21:40   #85
Registered User
 
westsail374's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Boat: Looking...
Posts: 318
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

Any problems with authorities getting your companions ashore?

How do you pro-actively deal with pet immigration?

Are the rules different in different countries in the Caribbean vs., say, unified in the EU?

__________________
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 18:35   #86
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
And when aboard your boat, do you call him Sushi?

currrently we are flooded in Grand Rapids Mich. Grand is at 22 feet. Let me intorduce you to Sushi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GR BASS.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	59713  
__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 18:56   #87
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post

currrently we are flooded in Grand Rapids Mich. Grand is at 22 feet. Let me intorduce you to Sushi.
Wow, it looks like you have trained Sushi really well -- he isn't even trying to swim away from home!
__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 20:07   #88
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 4
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

I have an English Mastiff he is 180 lbs and I could not imagine living aboard with him. They are awesome dogs listen well bark very little extremely loyal. They are big and somewhat clumsyto have on a boat.Tonka loves the water but swims like a rock so he has a doggie life jacket when we are at the water, The dummy gets water in his ears and shakes his head, but when he does this he forgets to swim so he starts to sink but first. Make sure the furniture stays covered also because they drool allot, When they do their thing it leaves a pile like a cow does and when they have gass you don't want to be in a confined space, even though they have short hair there is a lot of it and they shed. Even with the negatives he is the best dog I have ever had.
__________________
clmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 15:50   #89
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: Best boat pet/mascot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
Wow, it looks like you have trained Sushi really well -- he isn't even trying to swim away from home!
FISHING IS GETTING BETTER TODAY.

__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 16:06   #90
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
Who can argue with a dog named "Beef"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2817765729.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	59759  
__________________

__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pets

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.