Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2013, 21:24   #1

Boat: Catalina 36
Best bedding for Liveaboards

Hello, I was wondering what the best bedding would be to liveaboard(quilt, bedspread, comforter, duvet, etc...). We have a Catalina 36, and plan on going to different climates, etc. Is there any reason you would advise one particular kind over another or is it just basically personal preference? I'm thinking a goose down comforter, but want to see if there are any reasons against that before I lay money down. Thank you in advance for your insight!
acceber1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 21:31   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Best bedding for liveaboards

Down looses its loft when wet. I think it's a bad idea on a a boat.

A synthetic fill sleeping bag with a zip out fleece liner would be my choice. The liner is easily washable and you can use it by itself in warmer weather.
Old 30-08-2013, 22:16   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceber1978 View Post
Hello, I was wondering what the best bedding would be to liveaboard(quilt, bedspread, comforter, duvet, etc...). We have a Catalina 36, and plan on going to different climates, etc. Is there any reason you would advise one particular kind over another or is it just basically personal preference? I'm thinking a goose down comforter, but want to see if there are any reasons against that before I lay money down. Thank you in advance for your insight!

I found the cushions extremely hard (esp. after leaving the sleep-number bed I had on land!)

I was able to get 3" memory foam as a topper. They now make it in some sort of "cooling" style. Don't know whether that works or not. The foam is most easily cut with an electric carving knife, if you can find one of those somewhere. I put mine in a mattress cover, and basted it on the bottom side so it fit the foam.

I find the foam so comfortable that I can use some in the cockpit and sleep on the cockpit bench comfortably, and I'm a real "princess and the pea" type.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 22:18   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Down looses its loft when wet. I think it's a bad idea on a a boat.

A synthetic fill sleeping bag with a zip out fleece liner would be my choice. The liner is easily washable and you can use it by itself in warmer weather.

Down also gets smelly when wet. I once spilled beer into a down sleeping bag. Not a lot -- but by 3AM the smell had awakened me and I spent the rest of the night in the car!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 00:24   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I admit to likeing my bed to be comfortable!! We have a memory foam queen mattress, we use the same type sheets as we would use at home, we have serveral types of blankets, some for cold and some for warm weather! Feather pillows and covers that the wife picked out that match LOL The mattress has a cooling feature bilt in and seems to work well !! It's new so will be able to tell ya more after this years cruise to Mexico and Belize! As Ive said before, all i need is a good bed and a way to heat water for coffee and tea, and Im a happy sailor !! (and a sandwich sometimes LOL)
Old 31-08-2013, 00:39   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I've have used good quality down comforter for years, but this is Texas, my boats are dry, and I use a comforter cover. I love down, warm but doesn't over heat me. In summer we use light fleece or the comforter cover without the comforter.

We also buy good sheets, cotton, good thread count. Good cotton sheets are comfy in the heat. We also use a mattress cover.

For the mattress, we have 6-7 inches of latex. I need a topper to soften it, my husband likes firm but I need a cushy top so I use a gel infused memory foam 3" ( got a new one coming from amazon right now ).

Hope that helps
Old 31-08-2013, 06:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 40 ft caliber LRC

We use quilts that are made by our quilt shop. The shop specializes in quilts built for durability, comfort and beauty. We have quilts for any climate including our Caribbean blend. We use poly fill low loft so it's just the right degree of warmth for those chili nights. All of the quilts are built in 10 days or less, we do bunk size, half and queen berths. We also do sizes up to queen.
I have two Queen sizes aboard. They wash up great in the washer on gentle and hang to dry on the life lines.. Come see our site. We give discounts to cruisers
And lives boards. If your selling a boat these quilts( with pillow shams to match) can help you sell you boat giving your state rooms a homey feel.
Go see our site... We can make it any color style and we even do boat themes and your boat name on.
Sphquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 07:33   #8

Wool blankets buddy, wool blankets. They dry quick, keep you warm, and the newer models aren't as harsh and itchy as stuff your grandparents use.

These guys make my favorite stuff: Pendleton Woolen Mills: Blankets & Home

I think I picked up my Pendelton wool blanket from REI maybe eight years ago and I've used it every night. Except for summers in Mexico where we just sleep naked with fans blowing on us.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 07:44   #9

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

You mean y'all don't slip yourselves under the sunbrella sheets every night?!
Old 31-08-2013, 07:57   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

A variety of coverings are needed - far more so than at home, as temperatures can vary so much on board with year round cruising.

We have two 100% goosedown duvets (two weights) and continental pillows and they are absolutely brilliant. The duvets are just divine to sleep under and worth every extra penny.

Our boat is dry though. I would think synthetics like polarfleece would serve best if bedding was often drenched in seawater.

Mid season a hand appliquéd patchwork quilt with super fine wool batting is used.

In summer just a fan and top sheet are all that are needed. Temperatures have not dropped below 27 C (81 F) for a couple of months now here in the Med.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 12:23   #11

Sheex makes fitted sheets for a V-Berth. They are available through West Marine but are very pricey... $259.00. You can also order online from other outlets. I have never used them but just know they exist. It might be what you are looking for.
Panama Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 12:48   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Rob View Post
Sheex makes fitted sheets for a V-Berth. They are available through West Marine but are very pricey... $259.00. You can also order online from other outlets. I have never used them but just know they exist. It might be what you are looking for.
$259!!!!!!

Just buy a flat or fitted sheet (double bed size should do) and make your own.
Amazon US have sets of 2 sheets and two pillow cases in Egyptian cotton for as little as $10.

- Place the mattress upside down on the sheet
- Pin the edges to box it in
- Trim the sheet 10 cm (4 inches) longer than the sides
- Sew the pinned edges, trim excess and overlock or zigzag to prevent fraying
- Hem the inner edge all the way around and sew on elastic (approx 6 mm wide), pulling it while sewing to create some tension.

And that's it.
A very simple project.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 12:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

$259!!!!!!

Just buy a flat or fitted sheet (double bed size should do) and make your own.
Amazon US have sets of 2 sheets and two pillow cases in Egyptian cotton for as little as $10.

- Place the mattress upside down on the sheet
- Pin the edges to box it in
- Trim the sheet 10 cm (4 inches) longer than the sides
- Sew the pinned edges, trim excess and overlock or zigzag to prevent fraying
- Hem the inner edge all the way around and sew on elastic (approx 6 mm wide), pulling it while sewing to create some tension.

And that's it.
A very simple project.
Even better
Panama Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 13:19   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceber1978 View Post
Hi, there, Rebecca,

1) Foam
A. 4" firm polyfoam (the yellow firmness); 1-1/2 inch egg crate topper; under,
1/4" closed cell foam. All lightly glued with contact cement. Cover with
fabric of your choice.
2) Linens:
A. 2 sets regular sheets, fitted by self, in the past, now bunks take standard size; most recent are high quality percale, and I find them way preferable to cheaper sheets.
B. one each sleeping bags--these are polyester fiberfill, and US winter weight, washable only in extra-large machines
C. one lightweight polyester fiberfill comforter
D. One 3/4 size polyester fleece blanket for use in sea berths on passages,
E. One thermal blanket, lightweight
It is really a nuisance to have to store all that bedding, but it has done us for 25 yrs. of cruising from 6 deg. south to 43 deg. south, and from San Francisco through Tasmania. We've not yet had to put the comforter over the sleeping bags.

I do have a goose down pillow, and I love it, but down can be a hassle on a boat, because you'll have to wash it if it gets salty. This can, of course, be done, but eventually, even very gentle soap (do not use detergent) will remove the oil from the feathers, and then it won't ever have the proper loft again, or so I've been told. Plus, down wears out, the feathers eventually break down. Too bad, 'cause it's lovely.

To answer your specific questions: yes, it is a matter of personal preference, and you'll experiment to find out what combinations work for you. Just start out with stuff you already have and like, and replace it to suit. If you're wanting something new for the boat, perhaps getting a new comforter cover for whatever comforter you already have might work for you? I'm a great fan of comforters, because I'm the primary bed-maker, and comforters make that easy and lend a "finished" appearance that requires great attention to tucking details to make sheets and blankets have.

Incidentally, darker colors line dry faster than lighter ones, but if you're going to be living in a marina, you'll be using a dryer, most places.

Enjoy.

Ann
Old 31-08-2013, 15:53   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

moved on board first boat in 1990. i have used down in each and every boat i have ever owned. it is comfortable, except in tropics, where it gets too hot. i still have 2 comfy down throws i use as blankets in cold weather, and i used to use feather beds on my memory foam over my boats cushions that came with boat.
i no longer use the feather beds as i am in tropical areas and it is a little warm.
i also have and use feather pillows.
i also have 2 fiberfill pillows that are horrible, but make good back rest for reading or pillows for crew. i also have many of those soft blankets made of recycled coca cola bottles..lol....and regular sheets and pillow cases--fitted as well as flat sheets. using that with which you are comfortable will improve your enjoyment of your time on board. will also help keep you rested as you wont have to retrain yourself to sleep on something you are not used to using.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, liveaboard, paracelle