Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 16:03   #76

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor
Re: Before you set sail, how did you eliminate all your STUFF?

Divorce !
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 07:11   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailalibi View Post
Divorce !
Yes! That great eliminator of stuff!
Old 24-02-2019, 07:43   #78

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleWinds View Post
We will not maintain a permanent address anywhere.
If you are a United States citizen, this is impossible.

You will need to maintain a permanent address to:

1. Update your documentation or boat registration so you can continue to clear into foreign countries or rent a slip at a marina. You may also need to purchase required liability insurance, which needs your permanent address.

2. Update your driver's license, so you have a valid ID in case you need medical treatment or need to rent a car.

3. Keep a bank account so you can withdraw funds from international ATM or use your credit card.

4. Access funds from a retirement account, if applicable.

5. File your tax returns, if you have any income.

Simply "sailing off grid" isn't an option for most people with any sort of means.

Our permanent address is our daughter's house. It's also where we store our small water-tight cargo trailer with the few things we didn't want to part with (tools, photographs, memorabilia, financial records, and cold-weather clothes for when we visit) after we literally sold the farm.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 07:57   #79

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

I started by not accumulating stuff which was easy as I grew up with a hoarder (my mother)
Accumulating stuff is very natural trait for females, it’s “gathering” skill set of hard wiring female instinct much like men and provide and protect is atypical male instinct.

I had a sister who had natural female traits, lived in a conventional home making a home as a trophy housewife so I had my half a 40x48 standard pallet of sentimental stuff in her basement while I was away serving during my military career till she got divorced and moved in with me, later when she bought a condo and I gave up my residence to shack up with a woman at her estate the stuff went into her garage and when I made the switch to living on boats and not in the GFs estate...

When my sister died I bought a 5x8 enclosed trailer for the stuff, parked it at close friends who had rural hobby ranch in a ski town compensating them for storage...gave me a reason to keep better communication and visits frequent often Christmas for skiing or labor days for helping them harvest.

As a practice I just don’t hoard so I don’t have things I don’t use yes it’s easier as I’m a man and don’t have gathering natural instincts.

I often give items away when not needed anymore to Church thrift shops (clothes don’t fit-items I don’t use) but more often barter/flip/trade the items before giving them away as I’m pretty vigilant about my personal affects and their relevance or need to keep in my possession (trait of yachtie and inventory aboard the vessel)

My boats along the way, never paid to store/upkeep a boat I wasn’t living on/using weekly...only my corvette (had carhauler 24x8.5 for it used as storage locker as well as personal effects) and Harley have been the exception which I’m back to 6x8 enclosed trailer for the Harley/tools/Harley stuff as doubles as cycle garage & my sentimental stuff fits inside too and it’s parked at close friends which I keep visitations frequent and compensate with steaks/scotch during visits, labor at their residence even gave them a 1911 colt sidearm I was wanting to get rid of which they expressed a desire for as barter/trade for my trailers securement/security.

Guns are my worst flipping thing lately and I use online seller buyer marketplace for this, I have a truck I bought for friends kid whom I’ve disowned so now I have to get rid of it but using it till I get done refit on my boat, splash to go cruise again and plate of it will go/fit in my trailer ready for next vehicle if and when I acquire another someday,

Really nice thing about trailer w/my Harley/stuff is it can be contract hauled by most anyone so when I voyage make passage around Florida or lower 48 I can have it at the other end without my needing to personally go get it/relocate it to have it where I’m at.

Big items I’d say sell Craigslist, have a yard sale or put up table at bigger swap meet pays better but commissioning an end dump and writing off the loss is easiest on nerves in short tim, did that with my mother a few times trying to get a grip on her hoarding before...
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 08:12   #80

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

She’s confusing “Physical Adress” for perminant adress IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
If you are a United States citizen, this is impossible.

You will need to maintain a permanent address to:

1. Update your documentation or boat registration so you can continue to clear into foreign countries or rent a slip at a marina. You may also need to purchase required liability insurance, which needs your permanent address.

2. Update your driver's license, so you have a valid ID in case you need medical treatment or need to rent a car.

3. Keep a bank account so you can withdraw funds from international ATM or use your credit card.

4. Access funds from a retirement account, if applicable.

5. File your tax returns, if you have any income.

Simply "sailing off grid" isn't an option for most people with any sort of means.

Our permanent address is our daughter's house. It's also where we store our small water-tight cargo trailer with the few things we didn't want to part with (tools, photographs, memorabilia, financial records, and cold-weather clothes for when we visit) after we literally sold the farm.
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 08:22   #81

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt JJ View Post
She’s confusing “Physical Adress” for perminant adress IMO
Nope. Permanent address is where your mail is sent. Physical address is where you actually live.

You will also need a permanent address to renew your passport. So you can clear into other countries or get back into your own.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 09:01   #82
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The DOMICILE address is your legal residence.

A mail forwarding address can be that of a commercial mail service.

It is not "fraud" to work around an organization's refusal to accommodate nomads with no land based home,

as long as you do not use it for fraudulent puroses.

And yes it is impossible to avoid having a legal domicile, if the authorities need you to have one. Worst case a court will decide yours for you.

Not hard to proactively establish both, much more convenient than just letting it slide.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-212146.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 13:31   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post

I think this is a more accurate description of what we mean by "no permanent residence." Just that we won't have our "own" home to come home to while we're out. My ILs lived overseas for decades and still had a permadress here in the States. And we were their mailing address for their annual supplies hauls for years, so every spring we'd get an ungodly amount of amazon deliveries!
GaleWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:57   #84

Boat: Catalina 380

Donated most of it to Good Will.
Catalina 380 #67
TxCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:37   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Consignment auction

Tags
sail