Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2018, 18:40   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 42 OV
Re: Before you set sail, how did you eliminate all your STUFF?

What was really interesting to us was the final few bits of 'really important stuff' that we just had to keep fit nicely into about 12 bins and was stored in my father's garage. Six months later, on a visit back to see family, we looked in some of the bins and asked each other "Why the heck did we keep that?" A little more down-sizing took place right then and there.

I fully imagine that in another six months we will again assess what is left and find more 'stuff' we can now live without. It seems being away from 'stuff' makes it less meaningful and more disposable than it was when you looked at it every day.

When it is all said and done I believe we may have one bin left and maybe that won't even be full.

Old 27-06-2018, 14:12   #62

Boat: Catalina, 1998 Mark II , 36

We had 1 garage sale, got rid of lots of small stuff but really not worth the hassel. Then we called the Salvation Army, and told them to bring their biggest truck. Two guys came and hauled it all away. Then we moved into a rental condo for two months to finish up preparation to move aboard. We did rent a small storage unit near the boat but a year later we took all that stuff to Salvation Army and sailed away.

ssteakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 21:20   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1970 Irwin 32'

My favorite story is my client who put a plywood sign on the highway “my ex left me, whole house sale, everything goes”

There was a 2 mike backup on his road and he sold it all in one day. Someone literally bought the coffee cup out of his hand. He didn’t make much, but it was efficient!

Happy to help other boaters, knowledge is power, don't overpay for your boat.
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 18:32   #64

Boat: 1988 Bayfield 36 (41 LOA)

I love this idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
We're in the same boat, no pun intended. We have the boat (a Morgan 462), and are doing some important (to us) upgrades, with a solid plan to move aboard next summer - already found the dock that will take the boat, us, and our two big dogs ;-). Starting to downsize, but it's a challenge. Trying to avoid the storage unit thing too.

One thing I've been considering is buy a good sized cargo trailer, and section off the front end for storage, and make a small workshop in the back end. We can then keep it onsite at the marina while we finish the refit (while living aboard), then put everything we want to keep into the trailer and stash that somewhere safe while we're off sailing. Anyone done something like this? Obviously we need a good water and bug-proof trailer, with some ventilation to prevent mold, etc.

Regards,
David
ProteusRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 09:56   #65

It’s all just STUFF. We gave a lot to Goodwill or similar. Sold a lot threw ALOT away. Kept a couple of really meaningful things. Which was split between 2 boats and a camper. Kept a little to much clothing. A couple boxes in daughters storage for when we get our camper to go between boat up north and one down south.
moonglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 09:27   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
But what about your books? No one seems to want them, maybe my kids but they live on the other coast. Donated some to Senior Center and a bunch to the local Penitentiary but still have boxes and boxes.

we have thousands. not joking. not exaggerating. and you are right--they don't sell for much used (we got some at used sales for pennies).

plus we are 13 year homeschooling veterans already, so we own an obscene number of perfectly good books, texts, science supplies, and more that we do not want to have to replace, that we do want to re-use with our youngest who's only 3, and do not want to pay to store. i think these will be the hardest of all to decide what to do with them.

sorry my shift key is stuck ;-)
GaleWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 09:57   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
Think THRICE about what you buy from now on. For a long time now I have not bought anything I wanted, only what I desperately needed.

yep, we are years out still, and already we have an agreement: no buying ANYTHING that we can't take on the boat with us, unless it is consumable or age-dependent (kid items).
Old 13-09-2018, 10:08   #68

Yes, books are the most difficult. We made a few hundred dollars by placing them in bins by category and taking them to a used book store who picked threough and offered us a price for a portion of them.

Another source of donations is the local library, many will take books in advance if their sidewalk book sales.

How about reaching out to the home school community in your area? Perhaps some of the supplies could find a good home there. Likewise, local school teachers frequently will take supplies
SailSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 10:12   #69

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

RE: What about the books?

I had a modest library, maybe 300 books. Nearly everything sold on eBay. I didn't get much, but nothing was thrown out when I moved aboard. The books I brought on board were mostly for reference (boat maintenance, navigation, computer programming, etc.). I did have a number of paperbacks for entertainment, and they were replaced every time I was near a book exchange. Eventually I went to a Kindle and my book library is mostly just reference.

John
jstevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 10:24   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSonoma View Post
How about reaching out to the home school community in your area? Perhaps some of the supplies could find a good home there. Likewise, local school teachers frequently will take supplies

for some books, yes, we'll donate/give/sell to other homeschoolers. i know which items they'll likely want since we were IN the community for so many years. but most of the curriculum we'd like to keep as we've used it for 2 go-rounds but still have one more to go. but most of our books we'll have to donate or toss i know. i think it will hit hubs more than me because he has more hoarding tendencies than i do.
Old 13-09-2018, 10:42   #71
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gale-
For those books that you can't keep but must keep or else replace?
Do what I did. I took a milk crate of "I have no room but I want to keep these" books into a local commercial printing shop. The kind of place that does wedding invitations, advertising flyers, etc. And for $25 the guy took all the books, put them one at a time into a guillotine cutter, and cut the bindings off.
Yes, that's bibliocide.
But that also meant I could now take the books, put the hardcovers aside, and shoot them through a Fujitsu ScanSnap. That's a moderately priced, fairly small and very reliable two-sided scanner. Stack the pages in, shoot 'em through, now I have PDF copies of the books. In my case I already had the scanner but I think they can be found for $300-400 new.
That also gives you a longer term solution to "going paperless" with whatever other paper wants to clutter your shelves. When your next one is old enough to need to use those books, you can read them all on any Kindle or tablet or smartphone, and you don't have to worry about musty old books getting damp on the boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 07:09   #72

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

We started with the most expensive items and went from there. First was Susan Ann 1 (our motor boat), then Hayley's Audi, then my Jeep. Once all the big stuff was sold we started doing weekly markets which was hilarious, people were going crazy for our 2nd hand stuff. We buy nice things and sold them cheap so we were the most popular stall for weeks. Hayley sold Louboutin high heels for £10! People were even buying her lingerie, I kid you not! We even had friends help us on the stall who ended up taking lots of stuff home but the way I see it, we didn't need any of that stuff and to be honest neither did the people giving us money for it. People just like to buy.

It's very liberating but to be honest we still have so much we don't need. We have been sailing around the world with a wake board in the bow locker just in case.

Tags
sail