Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 10:30   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Be Happy to Learn about Liveaboard on the Hook in African Waters

I have started to wonder if I am alone liveaboarding on the hook in African waters.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:22   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: be happy to learn about liveaboard on the hook in African waters

So why don't you post about it as it seems we never hear much about Africa?
Old 07-09-2014, 11:32   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

I think there are communities in Senegal, RSA, etc.

Our friends spent some time in Bichagos, but they were forced to escape when the monsoon came.

Where are you anyways? What is it like?

barnakiel
canary islands
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

you are right i should, just start by imagining liveaboard, maintaining yacht with nearest chandler 500 nm away. No other liveaboards, so no yachtie support either, but benefit bays, islands, crystal clear water at uncrowded anchorages

Old 07-09-2014, 11:36   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think there are communities in Senegal, RSA, etc.

Our friends spent some time in Bichagos, but they were forced to escape when the monsoon came.

Where are you anyways? What is it like?

barnakiel
canary islands

true there are those yacht communities, i was member at Richards Bay, Rsa, and Clube Naval, Maputo, Mozambique, nearest now Dar Tanzania club. Monsoon you get to know, respect, understand and use like arab dhow sailors had to when coming down the Coast of East Africa

Old 07-09-2014, 11:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Re: Be Happy to Learn about Liveaboard on the Hook in African Waters

in Mozambique for the moment, Maputo in South has marina, dont imagine too much what its standards are, is circa 1400nm South from North Mozambique where I am on hook at the moment. Next club is in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, circa 500 nm North. I chose this cruising area, sailed here from Cape Town RSA, enjoy it here so much that I stayed longer than planned, on way to Comores, Mayotte, Madagascar, then on too Seychelles where I cruised in eighties

Old 07-09-2014, 12:04   #7

I know Richards Bay!

We landed there when coming from the mascarenas back in 2006. We used the boat basin next to the new compound and we walked to the yachtclub and had a look at their facilities. Our friends stopped there as they lost their mast and the yachtclub was the better spot to effect any repairs. Very nice memories ... RSA, very troubled, very beautiful country.

I know that sometimes tropical weather systems go for the Mozambique Chanel now and then. What is the cruising safe season there?

What are Mozambique people like? Much formalities, etc? What is the food there? Is it all about the pig or can you get fruits and vegs easily? And how do you get drinking water?

We met Mozambique people in RSA who came for work and trade. Fantastic people - friendly and open minded. Very charming and a huge contrast to far more reserved black South Africans.

b.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:50   #8
Marine Service Provider

liveaboard life style on the hook differs very much from marina life, but living lengths of time in local coastal communities is very rewarding. It helped me that I worked as teacher, consultant in rural African communities for close to 20 years. Living depending on the tides, local currents that flow around the tropical islands...

Old 07-09-2014, 12:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I know Richards Bay!

We landed there when coming from the mascarenas back in 2006. We used the boat basin next to the new compound and we walked to the yachtclub and had a look at their facilities. Our friends stopped there as they lost their mast and the yachtclub was the better spot to effect any repairs. Very nice memories ... RSA, very troubled, very beautiful country.

I know that sometimes tropical weather systems go for the Mozambique Chanel now and then. What is the cruising safe season there?

What are Mozambique people like? Much formalities, etc? What is the food there? Is it all about the pig or can you get fruits and vegs easily? And how do you get drinking water?

We met Mozambique people in RSA who came for work and trade. Fantastic people - friendly and open minded. Very charming and a huge contrast to far more reserved black South Africans.

b.

actually even in RSA many really great people, I can still ask people in Richards Bay to send me yacht item, ie recently rocna anchor, they paid for it, organized it getting to me.... yes Mozambique lots of great people, i tend to avoid cities though, the northern Mozamvican fishing communities are amongst most carefree people i have encountered.

Old 07-09-2014, 13:02   #10
Marine Service Provider

note in the weather, well it can really blow here, and to do long passages, multi overnites needs experienced skipper, but very good protected anchorages, from Inhambane, Bazaruto, Beiea to ilhas dos primos, to Ilha de Mozambique, to Pemba.... tricky part is the strong currents, there are counter currents, pilot of Delphin good to assist with info on this. The NE monsoon 6 months November to May, South Monsoon rest of the year help to sail in the direction they blow. The dangerous time to sail is cyclone season Nov to April, but can occur all year. Good to know is that South of Maputo and North of Ilha de Mozambique no cyclones occur, or extremely rare, last cyclone of great strength Nirth of Ilha was in 1957 just North of Pemba!

Old 07-09-2014, 13:08   #11
Marine Service Provider

on food and water, lots of great water on coast, islands here, i use ceramic filter with ceramic colector cools water too. Seafood is fantastic here, crabs, prawns, fish, calamari, shell fish.... vegetables are not priority and although there are lots of gardens too many grow staple like mais. There is an orange and tomato season. Beans very common. Concerning which yacht, which equipment, i can detail what i find usefull, hiwevere is very personal what different yachties needs are in that regard, ie some swear by A/C but dont realize that the greatest cost of liveaboarding is generating electricity, well on the hook that is....

Old 08-09-2014, 08:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy,

I would like to learn more about your experiences cruising the African coast. So if you have a blog, please post a link here.

If you don't have a blog, I think adding some "blog type" content under the topic of "East Africa Cruising" would be good for future people who search for info on this forum.

Photos appreciated too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:05   #13
Marine Service Provider

did you check site of hacking family on ocelot, i honestly dont have their writing cap, they have east africa info cant beat, only nirth mozambique they skipper to do with current, and they probably, like most cruisers, dont realize that the north of mozambique is well kept paradisial cruiser secret

Old 08-09-2014, 14:22   #14

Many, many thanks for all the info. The wind blows and the sailor goes. We hope to be sailing another rtw one day soon and then visit all the places we missed out during our first stunt. Mozambique very high on the list!

Thanks!

b.

Tags
Africa, liveaboard, water