Charcoal 2 9.52%
Gas 9 42.86%
If Gas - should it use a small self contained cylinder 6 28.57%
If Gas - Should it be connected to the main LPG bank 8 38.10%
Round Magma 9 42.86%
Rectangular BBQ 6 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2013, 10:49   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
BBQ Poll and recipes

Trying to decide on what I should have as a BBQ (I already have a Cobb, but want something bigger for use onboard)

Please fill in the poll, and also please add your favourite recipe.
If not a Magma, please post what you recommend and why.
Old 23-01-2013, 12:55   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: BBQ Poll and recipes

I think gas is easiest and the least messy. We always use charcoal on charters and dealing with the ashes is a pain - as is getting it going sometimes. With gas, it's also going to cool down much faster.

Gas might be just as problematic in getting it started though.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 13:01   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Voted gas round Magma. The rounds are made for sailboats. You can tilt it for heel and tilt/rotate the lid to block the wind.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 13:03   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use charcoal--exactly mesquite, not briquets...and i use whatever i can find that is closest to a weber smokey joe...i have 3 or so marine ones but i dont now which to use...they all kinda sukk--wont work in windy weather..hhmmmmmm

had round gas magma. had round charcoal magma. both sizes.
had rectangular....
had force 10
had.......
smokey joe rocks. always works, but dont cook while under way..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 13:34   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I use gas as I just can not see dealing with the coals on a boat.

I got a Magna beause when I went to get 1 WM had a big sale going on. But I wish it got hotter for grilling better and probably will upgrade to an infa red type in time.

The PO set to run off the main bottle but I haven't gotten around to getting the grill control valve so have been using the camp type bottle, they suck!
Old 23-01-2013, 13:41   #6
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Other important decisions: covered versus open, size of cooking surface, ease of cleaning, durability in salt atmosphere, available fave accessories such as water pan for smoking or side burner for sauces, and how well heat can be controlled. Decisions, decisions.
Old 24-01-2013, 14:22   #7

Boat: 17' Newport Sloop, bought around a decade ago and I have never sailid her. She sits on her trailer.

I am a huge fan of BBQ (indirect cooking) and Grilling (direct heat) can be great too. I have been curious if any members are dedicated enough to true BBQ and Smoking to try and do this while cruising. Do you have a smoker that is mounted to your stern or do you have something you can set up ashore if your in an area for awhile? I am still dreaming of a cruising life and have always wanted (at least I think) to be able to BBQ while cruising. I have been thinking that I would have one of the well established BBQ manufactures in most likely texas, make me a stainless steel smaller sized offset smoker that could stern mount on my future vessel. I imagine having latches so it wouldn't open or bang about while under way and just being able to dump out the firebox when finished cooking. Its just wood and ash so I can just dump this without it causing damage or being rude I am guessing? That was a ramble but I have been thinking of how to combine my love of BBQ and Sailing for awhile now.
SkiBum506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 16:09   #8

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle

For grilling we have a rectangular Magma, with a 5lb gas bottle. I am ready to try somehting new, due to wind issues and hard to clean. Weber has a small rectangular unit for about 40 bucks that looks worth the risk.

For smoking, I have a stove top smoker which is really a roasting pan with a double bottom. I have wood chips (very small) in diff varieties, such as alder, hickory, cherry, etc. The pan gives a nice wood smoke flavor, but it cooks at too high a temp to be considered a real smoker. I would love to figure out how to get my Weber bullet on board. But that was one of the many liveaboard tradeoffs we made. I may keep one at the marina and just share it with my boat buddies.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 10:18   #9

Boat: 17' Newport Sloop, bought around a decade ago and I have never sailid her. She sits on her trailer.

I have realized that I will most likely go without a smoker or indirect cooker, at least for awhile. I just wanted to know if anyone was storing a Big Green Egg or Weber smokey mountain and setting up on shore while cruising? Or better yet If anyone has been crazy enough to try and make/have made a smoker that would attach to the stern somehow? I have been thinking a rail mounted gas grill would be the way to start and for day to day use and then maybe add on a below decks or custom stern unit in addition later on. I realize all of this is silly thoughts as I do not currently live on a boat and my boat (not fit for living) is back in Jersey.
SkiBum506 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll, recipes