Old 27-07-2013, 19:43   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Bay Area resident looking to move aboard in September

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
100's to choose from.
Well, that's optimistic by several orders of magnitude. Nelson's never had more than two or three dozen boats in the yard on the best day they ever saw.

Old 27-07-2013, 21:09   #17

Still. Sounds worth a look. I'll check it out.

Old 27-07-2013, 21:32   #18

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Boat Owners Caught in Marina's Eviction Wake
Old 27-07-2013, 23:57   #19

Boat: OPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

Well, that's optimistic by several orders of magnitude. Nelson's never had more than two or three dozen boats in the yard on the best day they ever saw.
I heard today that it was around 200. 150 sounds close enough, not orders of magnitude....
Old 28-07-2013, 01:36   #20

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

What bay? I live fairly close to a good bay that has some good liveaboards for sail at a good price.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 02:30   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
I heard today that it was around 200. 150 sounds close enough, not orders of magnitude....
If you have ever been to Nelson's (and clearly you have not), you would know there is simply not enough physical space (on the hard and/or in the water) for that many boats.
Old 28-07-2013, 09:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

If you have ever been to Nelson's (and clearly you have not), you would know there is simply not enough physical space (on the hard and/or in the water) for that many boats.
Crew on a boat that was dry sailed out of Nelson's been there plenty of times. Never did an actual count, looked like a buttload of boats to me, newspaper says 150, someone who knows more about it than I do said "around 200". Trying to be helpful, got better things to do than argue semantics with you.

In the spirit of "being nice" I would like to revise my previous statement from "hundreds to choose from" to "a buttload" to choose from. Whatever the number, it's a lot.

Should have known better that to put an approximate, general number on this forum!
Old 28-07-2013, 10:24   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a Google image of Nelson's Marine taken about a year ago. Honestly, I have never seen this many boats in that place before. I count in the vicinity of 100. But most of these boats will have been moved by now of course. So I'll grant you that there may be more boats available than I would have thought, but it seems unlikely that it is the number quoted in the newspaper.

Old 28-07-2013, 10:36   #24

Boat: Rawson 30'

Be advised "I Grind" that while my post was on subject and wanted discussion about living aboard I was called to revisit this thread because some people are playing "tit for tat." Let it go mate. No one cares one way or the other. It looks like good advice you shared so who cares about details... Sailors are always sticklers for terms and how opinion meets reality. The art of conversation is not served by criticism for it's sake. Let it go...
Old 28-07-2013, 10:49   #25

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I'd be very interested in what you find available to rent for a liveaboard in the sfbay.
I have considered finishing my build and renting it before I go cruising.
So if you could please update the thread, I'd appreciate it. thanks!

Oh btw, buying a $2-3k boat will get you a wreck or something small or both.
I think renting would be a good idea if its possible, unless you want to learn how to fix and repair a tiny space while you live in it.
Old 28-07-2013, 11:28   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Oh btw, buying a $2-3k boat will get you a wreck or something small or both. .......................................
This can be true, but there's been a motivation by many in the current economy for people to ditch a good 25' to 30' boat for such a low price. If the boat's not selling and slip rental is stressing a family budget when there is a risk of losing the house, -choices ar tough. It's a sad case to speak of others in financial crisis, but that's the nature for many today. It was posted above that some people are giving up the house for a less expensive life aboard. I believe it's just as common, if not more frequent, for people to give up the boat in order to keep the house. Of course, in agreement with nimblemotors, 25' to 30' is "something small".
Old 30-07-2013, 09:09   #27

Well...picked up a loan from my credit union yesterday. I now officially have a budget for this. *GULP*

Time to start seeing a lot of boats I guess. My budget is between 5-10k (with a reserve above that for the inspection, unexpected costs, and additional ASA lessons.)

I'm thinking a sailboat 25-30 feet. As much head room inside as possible (I am 6'3".) With ship to shore power.

I doubt I'll leave the bay for a LONG time until I'm really comfortable so lower (but still on the list) interests would be something that could get me from SF to LA in 4 or 5 days safely. By the time I entertain aspirations of crossing oceans (should this adventure ever grown those kinds of wings) I'd expect to be in a better boat several years removed from this start.

I get back to SF tomorrow and am going to reach out to this owner:
25ft O'day sail boat 1976

Read a few reviews of the O'Day and what stood out to me was "The biggest small boat you can buy..."

There are also a few Catalina 27s going around in my area that look quite comfortable inside.

I have close to zero knowledge on the matter right now so every boat I see I'm digging for as many reviews and opinions as I can find. Can anyone recommend a checklist to bring with when going and looking at one? Things to double check? Questions to ask?
Old 30-07-2013, 09:17   #28

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

So no luck renting?

That O'day looks good from the description, I agree better to pay more and get one ready to go, than a big project. Berkeley Marina is not a bad place to stay either.

Oh let me add that take a look at a lot of boats, but once you know what you want, the really good deals will go quickly.
Old 30-07-2013, 09:21   #29

I looked at a few rentals. As I disclosed my level of expertise, most were unwilling to let me sail the boat. Totally fair of course but in addition the leases were all 6 months to a year. At the rental rates they were wanting I could have a paid-for boat in 3-4 months. And it sounds like I may engender less looks of distaste from my fellow Marina dwellers going the buy route? Better to do this the right way I suppose.

Berkeley would be a great place to live I think and I especially like the location on the water. When I get home tomorrow I'm going to start by making a list of Marina's, costs, and liveaboard fees and restrictions.

It's nerve wracking and exciting.

Edit:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/3966974448.html
One of the Catalina's
Old 31-07-2013, 00:13   #30

Recently an o'day 27 in very nice, but probably not as nice as the one you posted, condition, sold for $600 at auction at the 5th Ave Marina in Oakland. The deals are out there. That O'day you posted looks pretty sweet though. Boats choose their owners, when the right one picks you you'll know. Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: