Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2010, 17:02   #16

Boat: Pan Oceanic 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windgeist View Post
"not much support" ?
Windgeist,
It might be that I'm too used to Annapolis, but its a relative term. Oak Harbor was very nice marina in itself, but the local area seemed a fairly rual/residential and I didn't see too much in the area as far as resources for daily living or marine supplies. There was a nice marine hardware store up the road (Cobe Marine) , but it seemed a bit limited outside of that, and about 30 minutes to other nearby stores.

I'm targeting a job N. of Baltimore so the 45+ minutes it might take me from Pasadena, wouldn't be a significant improvement from the 1 hour from Annapolis. Not enough trade off for the drive time.
Old 26-01-2010, 17:11   #17

Chief,
That sounds like what I am hearing. Nothing like progress on the cheap to make a place inhospitable.

- $24 per day to park a car sounds like they want to be exclusive or they are maximizing fees to chase the bottom line.
- A small staff sounds like they don't want to service their clients or they are limiting costs to chase the bottom line.

Thanks
Old 27-01-2010, 14:16   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
If you would consider going a bit south (about 20 minute commute to BWI), I would suggest Magothy Marina in Severna Park, MD. Responsive management, well maintained marina and liveaboard friendly.
Old 27-01-2010, 15:59   #19

Saverna

Sneuman,
I'm in Annapolis now, so changing to Saverna wouldn't be a significant change in drive time... but thanks! I should go check it out anyway since I'm so close.
Old 01-02-2010, 21:59   #20

Boat: 23' Sea Ray
I keep my boat at Galloway Marina in Middle River. If you dont care about amenities and dont mind watching your step going down the pier then this place is for you. Very cheap and everyone is friendly, this isnt a "yacht club" crowd. Expect to see people working on there boats drinking beer with no shirts.lol Great access to the bay, during weekends you have less then 5minute run in the 6knot zone.
NEEDaSE-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:52   #21

Any livaboard spots in the Solomons?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 08:32   #22

Boat: Hatteras, MY, 54 - Saraswati
But keep in mind that the same company owns several marinas in Baltimore. They own Baltimore Marine Center, Baltimore Inner Harbor Marine Center, Baltimore Inner Harbor Marine Center - WEST, and Harbor View Marine Center. Do some research on the owner of that conglomeration, Dr Selvin Passen and his involvement with some very shady dealings and shell corporations overseas...you will be shocked and I'd bet you will never consider one of is marinas again.
StormChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 08:36   #23

Boat: Hatteras, MY, 54 - Saraswati
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysailc View Post
I heard there was a tax on vessels staying over 90 days in Baltimore...is that true??
Nope, its a whole state thing. if you bring in a baot from out of state or puchase one in statee and keep in in MD waters over 90 days per year, you have to pay the one time tax. I belive its somewhere around 7% of value. But if you've had the boat a long time and hav had it in MD...you've likely already paid it. And dont try to hide...they WILL eventually find you...they check the marinas...
StormChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 09:25   #24

Boat: Tartan 40
I used to keep my boat at Harborview, although not as a liveaboard. Nice location in town, and only 3-4 monutes to Route 95 just south of tunnel.
Back then health club membership (excluding pool) was included. Lots of liveaboards there so a neat community. However, I did hear that management changed.
I would recommend contacting Don (will withhold his last name) if he still is the marina manager as he is a top rate person and sailor, and always has boater's interests in mind- he can probably advise you.
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 19:12   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Don is no longer there....
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 18:55   #26

As an ex-resident I say

WORD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
But keep in mind that the same company owns several marinas in Baltimore. They own Baltimore Marine Center, Baltimore Inner Harbor Marine Center, Baltimore Inner Harbor Marine Center - WEST, and Harbor View Marine Center. Do some research on the owner of that conglomeration, Dr Selvin Passen and his involvement with some very shady dealings and shell corporations overseas...you will be shocked and I'd bet you will never consider one of is marinas again.
Craig Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 04:30   #27

Location: Along the Manatee River in Southwest Florida. Little town called Ellenton.
Boat: 32 Hatteras and 26 foot former Navy Lifeboat
My Mother & an Aunt still live in Fells Point. Many other inlaws and outlaws live in and around town. I expect to spend from around April to sometime in October in Maryland and Virginia waters. I own property in two other states and my boat is documented and carries another state sticker. Cruising is what we do and traveling through a state does not require paying taxes on something you own and paid for in another state. I traveled for three years with another boat including visits to every state on the east coast and the Gulf of Mexico, Mexico and Belize and never had to pay taxes on it. I have been a live aboard since the early 80's and travel a lot. I don't work I am retired so I am not there as a worker. I am a guest who spends money and leaves when I get the notion to go. Trying to tax visitors is a good way to lose many tourist dollars. You advertise for tourists all over the state and when they come your laws say you can tax them?
White Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 07:08   #28

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Shack,
My wife and I lived on our boat at Anchorage Marina in Baltimore for four months while our townhouse was being built in the inner harbor. Twas not expensive and parking was included. Staff was friendly and shopping and restaurants were very convenient. There was a charge for using their internet provider. Plus you cantake the water taxi to Fells Point, the Inner Harbor and Ft McHenry (very near where we now live).
However, there's a lot to be said for Magothy Magothy Marina. Never lived there, but have put in there overnight. The Magothy is a much nicer place to keep your boat than the Patapsco and the commute to Annapolis is very easy. (Used to work in West Annapolis when we lived in Severna Park.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 15:26   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If you don't want to be caught up by the state of Maryland Tax Enforcement. Make sure you aren't in Maryland Waters over 90 days per calendar year.....Most people just take the chance they won't get caught.....but when they are it can be 'spensive
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 06:09   #30

Location: Along the Manatee River in Southwest Florida. Little town called Ellenton.
Boat: 32 Hatteras and 26 foot former Navy Lifeboat
Fine, I'll run up and visit without spending any money in MD. I'm a tourist. Snowbirds spend every winter down here with cars, campers, boats, airplanes and some even own homes. They stay MORE than 90 days over the winter. State requirements can not make you pay taxes if you are not living and working in the state. I will pay NO Maryland taxes on my boat, truck, car or RV. I pay taxes where I live. I will not register my truck or car there even if I am visiting for 4 or 5 months. I am a visitor. I traveled for 9 years and spend whatever time I want wherever I want. Reguardless what you think about taxes, you can not tax someone from another state for visiting. I paid taxes when I lived there and stopped when I left. Same for here. When I go back to Delaware I will register my boat there. Maybe even sooner if I so choose. I own property there and boats have a serious tax break in Delaware. I'll run over there to spend my many tourist dollars and Maryland can whistle Dixie. If y'all remember how.
White Feather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore