Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2006, 02:46   #1

Location: I live & sail alone full-time, on the East coast of Australia, on my Cat `Tsunami' and after 2 years still feel happy to be on the water.
Boat: Seawind 1000 Catamaran-`Tsunami'
AT SEA COMMUNICATION?

This is my first Posting ... so please bear with me.

I have been retired 2 years and feel I have served my apprenticeship at sea on the east coast of Australia, with 8000 nmiles behind me. I have sailed alone from Sydney - Lizard Island, Queensland - Tasmania - Lord Howe Island and now on my way back to Lizard. It is too late in the year for me to venture further east and north (cyclone season just over the horizon) so I am preparing for an offshore adventure as early as possible next year.

I sail a 10 metre Seawind Catamaran, `Tsunami' and seek advice on three matters:

(1) Do members feel I should take on a crew?

(2) The name of my craft, `TSUNAMI', worries me if I am to sail into the islands east/north of Australia (Papua New Quinea - Solomans - Vanavatu and north from Darwin to Indonesia - Thailand-please excuse spelling) due to the carnage inflicted by a real Tsunami recently. I feel local people would feel I was `insentative' by parading a craft with such a name. Therefore, I am considering changing it? Comments would be appreciated.

(3) And most imprortantly, what is the `minimum' communication system should I have onboard - bearing in mind my shortage of bundles of cash?

Regards

Lloyd of `Tsunami'
Old 21-10-2006, 02:55   #2

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
1 - Crew?? are you planning more than 2 days in open water? Then yes. 2. Change the name? I would, but then I would have not name her that. 3. SSB - Find used. The cost of SSB's are in the add on's. A unit more than 5 years old and checked out will do you fine because you will not be transmitting that much.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 03:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Lloyd: Are you related to the noted R&B singer, from the early sixties ("Stagger Lee", “Personality”, & "Lawdy Miss Clawdy”, et al)?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 03:35   #4

Location: I live & sail alone full-time, on the East coast of Australia, on my Cat `Tsunami' and after 2 years still feel happy to be on the water.
G'day GordMay

Thanks for such a rapid reply. No not related ... but I always assume he has made more money through his career than me!

Regards

Lloyd of Tsunami
Old 21-10-2006, 03:45   #5

G'day Lynx

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes ... I have gathered a crew is necessary.

All assume I named my yacht ... but I bought it second-hand and inherited the name.

I will followup on your advice re secondhand HF radio.

Lloyd of Tsunami
Old 21-10-2006, 06:22   #6

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Lloyd,

Just personal opinion, but I don't think it's prudent to sail offshore single-handed, notwithstanding the great number of sailors who do so. As for naming, I think a boat's name should be relective of her owner - if you inherited the name, I think you should consider renaming her. If you're worried about the superstition of renaming a boat, google "rechristening ceremony" and you should find a suitable method to appease the fates. As for comms, I'm sure there are many more-knowledgeable members who can advise, but I would suggest it's very dependent upon your intended uses and where you are going. If you just want an emergency back-up a satellite phone should do the trick, but if you want to use sail-mail or join the various cruising nets, then SSB is a must.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 02:40   #7

COMMS AND OTHER

MANY THANKS KEVIN

Yes I did inherit the name `Tsunami' and I will be changing it and your suggestion through Google is a good one (I have explored and although not superstitious, one of the procedures sounds like a lot of fun.

Will keep you informed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman
Lloyd,

Just personal opinion, but I don't think it's prudent to sail offshore single-handed, notwithstanding the great number of sailors who do so. As for naming, I think a boat's name should be relective of her owner - if you inherited the name, I think you should consider renaming her. If you're worried about the superstition of renaming a boat, google "rechristening ceremony" and you should find a suitable method to appease the fates. As for comms, I'm sure there are many more-knowledgeable members who can advise, but I would suggest it's very dependent upon your intended uses and where you are going. If you just want an emergency back-up a satellite phone should do the trick, but if you want to use sail-mail or join the various cruising nets, then SSB is a must.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

MANY THANKS KEVIN

Yes I did inherit the name `Tsunami' and I will be changing it and your suggestion through Google is a good one (I have explored and although not superstitious, one of the procedures sounds like a lot of fun.

Will keep you informed

Kevin
Old 22-10-2006, 03:52   #8

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
We did it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Price
MANY THANKS KEVIN

We did the renaming ceremony. When we first got our boat, things kept going wrong an we spent most of the 1st and 2nd seasons with her at the dock, since every time we took her out something else failed. From the start we had been calling our boat something other than the name she wore...so we did the renaming ceremony. All of our family and a few friend, not to mention half our marina all joined in....it was great fun and seems seemed to stop going wrong with our boat. Timing maybe? I don't know, but if we ever aquire another used boat we will do the ceremony sooner rather than later.

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 07:40   #9

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE

G'day Lori

Many thanks for taking the time to advise me of your experience. I am convinced it will be fun to do the renaming ceremony and will undertake it as soon as I can dream up a name that I like. Do you have any ideas?

Regards
Old 22-10-2006, 09:31   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am convinced it will be fun to do the renaming ceremony and will undertake it as soon as I can dream up a name that I like.
Of course it should be fun. If it isn't fun enough that might be the worst. Spilling liquor is a good idea though pouring over the boat is a true waste. You might drink it first however.

For names I think it is something you need to search for yourself. It should mean something to you even if it means nothing at all to anyone else.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 10:56   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Lloyd,

1) Of course I don't know you, but I think based on your post that you would be more comfortable having someone to share watches and, even if inexperienced, someone to wake you when there is reason. You have decent experience, so I figure if you're asking the question you probably know the answer.

2) I think the name would be inappropriate, a little too "in your face" for many people here in Thailand, even for farang (folks of the European race). If I had named the boat, I would change it. It would draw unneeded attention and comment -- if you didn't change it, I don't think it would be long before you wished you had.

3) My opinion: minimum is VHF and all-band radio receiver to get weather and listen to the various HF nets. That's all many cruisers have. If you want to talk to people, then the sky is the limit. An Iridium satphone looks nice -- simple installation, not much of a learning curve and quick, reliable email. If Santa asks, it will be on my xmas wishlist. But I don't expect him to.

cheers
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 11:35   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Whether you go solo and/or with a crew depends on availability of crew and your personality. Some people thrive in the company of others and get along with everybody. Others do just fine as a solo and/or have problems living in a shower with other people for many days on end. It's really how you'll do.

Getting along with a crew is no small thing. When we were out, musical chairs with crew was a constant reality. Seemed that crew/owner couldn't wait for the hook to drop before they jumped/were thrown off the ship. We saw more miserable people and cruises end prematurely because of crew problems. Personally, I'd rather sail solo than put up with a crew. Had a friend stay with us for a month in FP and despite the fact he was about the most innocuous, easy to get along with person you could ask for, we were counting the days till he left. Still it's nice to have that extra hand, even if inexperienced, when things don't go perfectly and the weather gets snotty. If it was me I'd sail solo unless I was married to the crew, not always a guarantee of compatibility on a small boat, or had long term experience sailing/living with the crew.

As far as the name, it's your choice. Don't think slavish adherence to PC is good for countries, people or boats. If you like the name keep it, if you have another name that fits you and the boat better, change it.

Ham Radio is a great communications tool. Ham gives you access to a number of maritime nets, direct communications with fellow yachties and the ability to talk/pass along info. to people back home. Gear is readily available used at really low prices and new is cheaper than marine SSB and more versatile. It does require the hassle of getting a license but you apparently have the time to get it. The license is no longer a big deal in the US with the relaxation of the code requirement. Don't know if that is the case in Oz.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 16:49   #13

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Price
G'day Lori

Many thanks for taking the time to advise me of your experience. I am convinced it will be fun to do the renaming ceremony and will undertake it as soon as I can dream up a name that I like. Do you have any ideas?

Regards
Finding a name is a personal choice and people make that decision based on many things - where you live/criuise, type of boat, your personality, even your (former or current) occupation. Be creative!

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 16:58   #14
Kai Nui

FWIW, I like the name Tsunami. But, if I had a boat who's name I didn't like, or trust, changing it would be my first order of business. My trimaran has never been named as far as I know. The first thing I did was to name her. It has personalized the project. I think of her as a freind and it makes all the effort much more enjoyable. But, that is just my opinion.