Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 08:59   #61

Re: At My Wits End

Another thing to check, especially if the boat sat in Florida for some time! Check that the fuel tank vent tubes are not clogged by little bees building mud nests in the vent. I doubt this is your problem.... with fuel return I wouldnt think it would cause a vacuum very fast... but you never know...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 09:18   #62

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: at my wits end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper1973 View Post
The sails that came with the boat seem to be the original sails and appeared to be in fair condition. The jib still looks ok but the entire foot of the mainsail in ripped.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not but all you have to do is put a reef in the main and you can keep sailing!
When you get to where you're going, you can sew it up. By the time you get it sewed up, you'll be an expert!
Been there, done that!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 09:24   #63

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The above advice is true to a point. However, if the rip is in the cloth as opposed to stitching it may be a sign that the cloth has degraded to the point where sewing is hardly worth your time. A sail with severe UV damage can look perfectly fine but be so weak as to be useless. I believe that the OP said that the sails were original (ie quite old), and I would suggest having them evaluated by a sailmaker or other knowledgeable person before wasting time sewing up a major repair.

Used sails are pretty cheap and are entirely appropriate for this situation.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-05-2013, 09:31   #64

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Check with Minnie's in Newport Beach
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 17:54   #65

Boat: 1976 Morgan Out Island 37
I just read the posts of today. Since I have posted last I have taken my starter battery, which was supposed to have been bought last year but was accually bought Sept 2002, was shot. House battery is 1 year newer and shot as well. Since I have no way of charging my phone on the boat I charge at a laundrymat every couple of days and only turn it on to check posts or look up info. I am currently looking around and inquiring the locals where I can find either a free fuel cell of some kind of a job to be able to get one. Also on the look out for batteries. Things will come together. They usually do. Unfortunately some things take longer than others. Reefing has been the general consensus for a temporary fix and is probably be what we do. I appreciate all the advice. I'm learning new things every day and am looking forward to learning more. I really look forward to the day I get the sails up and head out. You are all great.
Chopper1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 17:59   #66

Yeah.... sellers seem to take a lot of editorial license with the words "recent" or "new" for sure. I dont know how many boat ads I've seen advertising recent engine rebuild, only to find out the real story is: "i've had the boat 2 years and the previous owner said he had it rebuilt..." .........haha

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:19   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
.................. House battery is 1 year newer and shot as well. ........................ I really look forward to the day I get the sails up and head out. You are all great.
This is great, but be careful. The engine problems you describe are not battery related. Your running diesel engine will not fail due to poor battery condition. Sails alone will not be a safe method to break an inlet during your return to inshore waters. Don't risk your investment in your boat without the option to use reliable engine power at an inlet.
Old 23-05-2013, 18:25   #68

Let me be more clear. I believe there is probably debri in the tank. Therefore I am looking into getting an alternative method of holding fuel....ie... Fuel cell. Battery is a separate issue that still needs addressing. And reefing just as a temporary fix to reach Key West.
Old 23-05-2013, 18:26   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: At My Wits End

Does your engine have a hand crank... if so all you need is any small 12v battery to run the electrics for the run to your base..
But as said before... pretty sure you've got fuel starvation and need a clean fuel container...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:27   #70
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Let me be more clear. I believe there is probably debri in the tank. Therefore I am looking into getting an alternative method of holding fuel....ie... Fuel cell. Battery is a separate issue that still needs addressing. And reefing just as a temporary fix to reach Key West.
Fuel cell?! ... man you got a way to go...

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:28   #71

No hand crank.
Old 23-05-2013, 18:33   #72

Boat: Hunter 31
There definitely is debris in your tank. My solution was to use a 10 gallon dinghy fuel tank to hold clean diesel. A fuel hose is running straight from that into the yanmar's fuel filter. I've gone about 500 miles with this arrangement till my tank is fixed.

Works OK, just don't heel the boat over while running the engine on half a tank.
Sierahotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:47   #73

I am agreeing that there is probably debri in my fuel take and am going to get a small fuel tank to use for now. However, money is necessary to purchase one. I am looking for a short term job in this area to be able to purchase the items I need to proceed. The plan was to take our time, 2 maybe 3 weeks, to get from Pompano beach to Key West. That was 2 1/2 months ago.
Old 23-05-2013, 18:54   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

If there's is debris in your tank, aren't you fining it in the top of your racor? Do you have evidence of a collection of this debris at some filter or water separator unit? This should be objective evidence.
Old 23-05-2013, 19:05   #75
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah.... sellers seem to take a lot of editorial license with the words "recent" or "new" for sure. I dont know how many boat ads I've seen advertising recent engine rebuild, only to find out the real story is: "i've had the boat 2 years and the previous owner said he had it rebuilt..." .........haha

Something that I think future boat owners need to know is that often people don't mean to let things deteriorate so badly. Boats are so emotional, and it's hard to let go. I think people let them go little by little and don't realize, for instance, that the batteries are trashed, the hoses are rotten, etc. They didn't mean to abuse the boat, but if you don't sail it, you don't keep it up, it ends up with a lot of problems.

Reefing might be the answer for the sail, but potential owners need to know that the whole sail may be ready to go.

Even if you don't get a boat survey, get an engine survey (more than just an oil analysis) and a rigging survey.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote