Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2012, 18:59   #31

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
Re: Are You Ready to Live the Cruising Life ?

I started sailing last summer on Mallet's bay in Vermont. We were on one of the club's sailboat, a Catalina 22. Even if I had to go to the clubhouse to clean up every morning, even if I could not stand up in the boat and even if I had to carry my gear every week, the time I have spent on that wee little boat has been the best I've had in a long time. I was in peace with nature, it was quiet, and my nights were restfull. All that was missing was my husband who had to stay home for work and my cats. I felt at home in that little Catalina. I just can't wait to get myself a 34 or 35 footer and sail off in the sunset. Hopefully next fall.

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 08:37   #32

Talking Re: Are You Ready to Live the Cruising Life ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
As I read through these posts I realize that the longer I'm a liveaboard cruiser, that's forty years this coming June 17th, the less I know about it! Everyone speaks of living aboard and cruising in relation to living in the house and on land. I've never lived in a house as an adult and never lived on land since all I owned would fit in my car........ During some discussion I learned that my typical monthly expenses of diesel fuel, boat maintenance and occasional marinas was equal to what my friends paid in property taxes alone...... We read, watch a little TV, buy groceries, sometimes eat out, do a little adventuring..........what's happening inside those houses?..... I have systems to work on to maintain my home,- cleaning and repairs............what about those houses? Maybe it's not so different? I don't know.
Oh, not much goes on. Just tend to things around the house. Mow grass when it needs to be cut, pick up the trash that might blow in the yard, rake the leaves, clean out the gutters, stain the deck, coat the driveway and fill any cracks, trim the shrubs, scoop up the dog crap, get the occassional tree limb off the roof, replace the fence gate from hanging so low and draging, trim the fence and hosue, fix the mail box post from leaning, change the bulb in the yard light and then go inside, vacume the carpet, mop the floor, clean the toilets, tubs and sinks, do the dishes, replace the filter on the dishwasher, fix the bathroom faucet from leaking, change out the float in the toilet, change the furnace filters, replace the chain on the garage door opener, clean out the glide of the sliding glass doors, repair the chip in the wall from a door knob smacking it, move the fridge out and clean off the back grill and the floor, replace the light swith, paint the bedroom again per the bosses instructions, hang new drapes, clean out the fireplace, balance the ceiling fan again, replace the hot water heating element, fix the door bell, clean out the dryer vent, empty the trash and take the cart to the street, answer the door and tell them you don't want any, call the cable company and complain that the TV is out again, sit down a relax with a cold one and look forward to the weekend when you can paint the trim and wash the windows!

Not much really goes on in or around a house.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 10:13   #33

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Wavewacker, Sheesh ! Now you know why some of us live on board ! Of course there's some maintainence on a boat but nothing like a house, for us it's giving something back to the boat that carries you safely over the sea and a token of love, not a litany.
When the dolphins play in your bow wave and you've seen the flying fish, the beauty of a dawn at sea, you will feel very humble and very grateful for the life you have been given.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 11:41   #34

Oh, that's not half of it, wait for a heavy snow

But I do have over a dozen deer in my yard each morning, they want to be fed (they like crunchy dog food) or watch the wild turkey strut through the yard, both leaving presents for me in the yard, by the way.

I'd have to say that home maintenance is probably not viewed as lovingly as caring for a yacht. I don't call the house a she, just a home or house. It feels more like a survival tactic or a socially inflicted duty fixing a house or doing outside maintenance than a love affair.
Old 26-02-2012, 13:10   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Oh, not much goes on. Just tend to things around the house................
I was just tending to things on the boat today,-.....changed the forward AC filter, unsuccessfully tried to calibrate my forward holding tank monitor, flushed my engine coolant, removed and inspected my impeller, found the blockage in my Kingston valve that was giving me an extra 15 degrees temperature on my Yanmar, tried to keep a bucking gennaker on my foredeck to dry after rinsing the saltwater off of it from yesterday's fiasco of trying to get the monster down in too much wind, Undone on my list are sealing a couple of leaky portlights (this is always on my list, but not the same portlights), grease fittings on my windlass and carrier bearing, change the zinc on my Kubota generator, clean out my engine sump from tody's work, change the fuel filter on my starboard Raycor, check my freezer for air bubbles in the system and maybe add some R134a.....oh, and the big dread,- replace the macerator pump on my aft cabin head to the holding tank...no easy plan for this. I was also off to the grocery store today, but now I'm seated at my laptop with a cold beer! 'just the regulars on the boat today!
Old 26-02-2012, 19:52   #36

I might stay home after all...
Old 26-02-2012, 22:11   #37

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I'm just drifting slowly through the biggest vineyard in the world watching the magic of spring, I must be doing something wrong according to the posts from Wavewacker & CaptForce. Go to it lads....
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 05:03   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
I'm just drifting slowly through the biggest vineyard in the world watching the magic of spring, I must be doing something wrong according to the posts from Wavewacker & CaptForce. Go to it lads....
Yesterday was truly full with difficult tasks for me trying to solve my extra and unexplained 15 degrees (F) temperature increase on my Yanmar and I made an effort to go "toe to toe" with Wavewacker's list of woe's, but I should admit that I have a great number of days like Irish Rambler.
Old 27-02-2012, 13:17   #39

Toe to toe, , I was sand bagging, but what got me was having to pull that cruncher! I just run a snake through the sewer lines and it's done for the house.

Maybe if I just use a bucket.....I'll reconsider....

Tags
cruising