Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2012, 16:27   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Nostradamus - nice post. Glad you are out there doing it.

Wavewacker - to be a bit harsh I have no intest in talking you into the cruising life. You prefer a motorcycle to hike "uphill" to the marina. You prefer central heating to a comforter. You prefer cable tv over recorded entertainment. Moving the boat around is "too much" like work. You would consider cruising if you could get your Harley on-board.

Seriously dude, this is not for you.

If water has any alure at all you could consider a 32-36 trawler. Nothing wrong with being a stink boater and it's much easier to have all the comforts of home with unlimited electric power.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 02:41   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Are you ready to live the cruising life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
And I can't see how some folks stay aboard for 20 years as I have read about. Wow!
My reaction is not so much Wow!, it's more Yikes! .

Apart from the age, probably not so far apart on attitude to the cruising thing. I have never really "got" the dream about living on a boat 24/7 forever - indeed, the whole idea of doing any single thing forever fills me with absolute horror!

Having grown up around boats, I see them simply as an (enjoyable) means to an end - not really a lifestyle thing let alone simply being on one is livin' da dream, no matter where the boat is.

Of course the plan is still to move aboard (end of March / April?) for at least the summer, and then see how that goes (note to self, to acheive that - post less on CF!). But I will still have a homebase (Storage, Workspace, Hot Showers and a large Freezer ) and also be near my means of earning money. I could end up sailing RTW or going transat (next year) - but that just for the craic, but more likely will end up pottering around Northern Europe for half a year, mixed up with some working - and ideally winters somewhere warm (and cheap!) elsewhere (back to SE Asia?), with or without (another) boat.

I have probably been a bit spoilt over the years in my worldwide wanderings, so for me the boat is not a neccessary tool to sit under palm trees drinking cool beer (and lots of etc ) - have pretty much got that out of my system. pretty much . and I do live in a nice place already - but I do also like the rest of the world .

Anyway, just thought I would say (in my usual longwinded style!) that: You are not alone!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 13:06   #18

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes
Re: Are you ready to live the cruising life ?

It's not for everyone, but there are a few perks to living aboard.

For one, it's your home, so when you travel you bring all the comforts from home with you. This has really spoiled me as far as vacation traveling goes. I don't have to decide what to bring or leave at home. I don't have to eat different foods from what I normally make at home. I don't ever have to "go" home, I'm already always home. When I cook I'm cooking on my home stove and making my home food. I'm using the pantry I'm always used to getting food from. I'm kayaking in my own personal kayak I'm used to.

Actually more than spoiling me it's almost ruined me. I have a hard time thinking about "vacationing" anywhere that I can't get to by sailing there in my home. It's not easy to describe this, but I'm very comfortable in my home(my boat). I have all my "stuff" there, I have a routine that involves being at home, it's my stress free zone. In some ways I really don't like being away from my boat. It's the stable center of my life. Maybe I need to see a shrink about that.

Economically it also makes a certain sense. A house + boat = less money in the cruising kitty.

Job-wise it can also work out. I can work anywhere. I'm in east Florida right now and I can work in Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, the space coast, etc. All those areas have good IT jobs and I've visited and scouted out live aboard friendly marinas in all of them(well, except Jacksonville but I know the city has nice ones). And that's just Florida, I can go to the gulf coast, the south eastern coast, or run up north and try to pick up summer contract jobs there. Maybe my life in 2 years will be working summers in Maine and winters in Florida.

But I also don't look on this as a "forever" thing. It's a "seems good right now" thing with no real plans to do anything else in the short term.

There are downsides, mostly the lack of space, but you get used to the small lifestyle tweaks you have to make and it just becomes normal life to you.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 15:15   #19

LOL, you guys really make it rough on a fella'.....being called a "pup"

Always at home? I don't think so, I'd still have to wonder back to a boat after those bars in the Keys closed, I've heard about them and all that goes on down there....many you guys make it hard on me!

I have a 1600 Vulcan (not a Harley...anymore, got tired of pulling a trailer...LOL) but that's not what I meant to bring, man if I could I would! It's a dual sport 650cc, weighs 325 pounds, that should be doable.

After getting ragged on here and having reverse psychology used on me by Nostrodamus and Ex-Calif, I looked again for an old tub and may have found one. It's a '85 Luger Voyager 30' that needs some work inside, but the rest seems pretty good. I'd rather have a larger berth, galley and shower, but guess I could do that in a redo. It has a butt stern and might be able to hang that small bike off the back end....don't know.

As I mentioned, the other option for me is to build on, a scow, pretty simple I would think. Just so long as you guys don't laugh me out of the marina bar!

Yes, I need to do this, at least for awhile.....

I don't mind prerecorded shows and movies, I'm not that big on TV except for NCIS and 60 Minutes and I could probably go watch it at some box store...

I just had the sewer go through and the city gave me a pass on the bill being retired with stated income, not based on assets, but the sticker is that I have to live here (owner occupied) or they bill me. So I can't rent the place really, but I can go on vacation. I'd hate to sell it now. o looks like I'm stuck with it! I have a cabin at the lake I was living in until I met a GF, that's another story....anyway, it doesn't eat much hay and I'm keeping it since it's paid for. If I had the equity in this house I could buy a decent boat!

And what they heck am I going to do with my two dogs? The german shepard craps like a horse and the hardlucksmutt really doesn't like the water, (that's pronounced- hard-lucks-mutt, part pitt and sharpie). Had them for 10 years! My son could watch them, but can't take them. And my dad who is 84 (not a pup) said NO!

I have seen the sunset and sunrise over the big pond, it is nice and better than sitting at home, it's just not that easy....the lake cabin is on the water too and it ain't that bad.

The Loop is on my bucket list, I guess I'll add hoop'n it up in the keys with the spit and widdle club too....
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 15:49   #20

Boat: Pearson 303
Re: Are you ready to live the cruising life?

Im look for the life of lauderboy. Im so close to full time cruising I cannot sleep. Im 48 and have a modest but stable monthly stay at home (boat) income. Just need a phone and internet and I can eat. My challenge is renting out my house, getting rid of 25 years worth of stuff and convincing the wife lets go. O yea I forgot. tell my 20 somethings they cant keep coming home because its rented.

25 years ago I was able to live the dream for 6 months and you guessed it ! Along came the 20 somethings.

I have to say if you r thinking of doing it "Just Do It" Youll be dead before you know it.
2ndwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 15:55   #21

You mean I'm closer to death with every passing minute? Bummer!
Old 23-02-2012, 15:59   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker
LOL, you guys really make it rough on a fella'.....being called a "pup" .

As I mentioned, the other option for me is to build on, a scow, pretty simple I would think. Just so long as you guys don't laugh me out of the marina bar!

Yes, I need to do this, at least for awhile.....

I :
Well it seems we got you from one side of the fence to back on the fence!

Good on you!

If it floats and your living on it the laughter wont mean nuthin'
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 19:03   #23

Naw, being on one side or the other always feels better than sitting on the fence. I'm back over, just takes time to work all this out.....wisely

Probably the best way for anyone to start is by saying they will try it and not go into it with the thought that it is the necessary alternative, then if it works and they stay longer, it would feel more like a selected opportunity rather than a requirement.
Old 23-02-2012, 21:34   #24

Boat: Oyster 45

With us we could have named 1001 reasons not to go and just one to go. We really wanted to.
We sold the house, all our possessions and our souls. We even took our two boys out of school to go with us.
We have no time scale, no ultimate destination, just detrmination to see as much of the world as possible before the egg timer sands of life catch us out.
We have been cruising now for a year.
So how to we feel. I wish we could have done it sooner ..what a wonderful way of life and we have met such good friends along the way.
Initially it was difficult to give up everything but looking back what have we given up.. nothing really but we have found a utopian existence that gets us up each morning relishing the new day.
There are no fences in the sea so you don't have to sit on them.You have just got the biggest swimming pool, back garden and playground in the world.
Just do it. You can thank me later with a cool beer.
Old 23-02-2012, 22:17   #25

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Wavewacker, Think 'out of the box', rent the house on the sly, give the dogs away to good homes out in the countryside, stop being a recycled teenager and sell the motorbikes, get a pedal bike and get some excercise instead, don't worry about any 'kids', you got them this far and what did they ever give you ? besides money keeps them in touch. Read what Lauderboy posted. What the hell do you need constant drip feed of crap TV for ?
Sorry to be so blunt but if you haven't gt the courage of your convictions, then you haven't got the courage.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 03:17   #26

Nostro, the evening of ale will be on me!

Irish, oh, I agree, I said I don't watch the bube tube that much, NCIS is a navy criminal investigation show, fictional,,,not bad but I probably have not missed 10 shows of 60 minutes in 10 years and I admit, the real reason I watch it is to get ticked off about some exposed politician or other issue. TV does not keep me from anything really....Had a good friend from Cork and they did not have a TV and they were better informed than most.

Now, this voyage of mine really is something I want to do, and will. Asking an American biker to give up his motorcycle would be like telling a sailor to give up his boat, it too is in the blood so to speak. Won't happen until I'm too old to hold it up.... And riding a motorcycle is not like driving a car, it can be a workout too for legs and upper body, but granted, not so much for the heart as a bicycle can be.

I only mentioned my house and personal issues as they are things to be addressed in a responsible way, not that I can't address them. My real issue is a boat!

I will looking at a 30' Luger Voyager soon, an older 85 vintage that needs some TLC (actully a project inside that was abandoned by the owner). I have asked about this boat and haven't gotten much info yet. I don't think it is that no one knows anything about them as much as they are probably tired of answer my questions......same with building that scow. That is the hump I need to get over, after a boat is sitting in my yard I'm sure the motivational factor will increase dramatically.
Old 24-02-2012, 04:32   #27

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
...after a boat is sitting in my yard I'm sure the motivational factor will increase dramatically.
Yeah, it will right off the bat but then the amount of work it needs may overwhelm you. Lots of would-be "cruisers" with projects in the yard. However, that may be close enough to cruising for you. No harm in that.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 04:44   #28

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
With us we could have named 1001 reasons not to go and just one to go. We really wanted to.
We sold the house, all our possessions and our souls. We even took our two boys out of school to go with us.
We have no time scale, no ultimate destination, just detrmination to see as much of the world as possible before the egg timer sands of life catch us out.
We have been cruising now for a year.
So how to we feel. I wish we could have done it sooner ..what a wonderful way of life and we have met such good friends along the way.
Initially it was difficult to give up everything but looking back what have we given up.. nothing really but we have found a utopian existence that gets us up each morning relishing the new day.
There are no fences in the sea so you don't have to sit on them.You have just got the biggest swimming pool, back garden and playground in the world.
Just do it. You can thank me later with a cool beer.
Nostro....nicely said! Though I am American, I have lived all over the world and I can say that for some reason it is definately harder for an American to 'give it all up' and it appears that because we are a country of 'quantity' that the 1001 reasons will always be greater than the 1 reason....no matter the 'quality' of that one reason.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 04:24   #29

Actually, I was a liveaboard for awhile. When I got out of the Army I took a job in Homa, La. and lived on a barge houseboat. My family didn't come with me as I tested the waters and we owned a home in DeRidder, so they stayed. I remember my neighbors, mostly retirees and a few working types. Nice folks, but most were poor as the church mouse and living there for economic reasons, just as I was. They too talked about what a great life it was and a chosen lifestyle, not that we really had a choice but human nature kicks in and some pride had to show through.

This is certainly not the case with all liveaboards I know, I have seen the pictures of boats that if I liquidated, my assets wouldn't make a down payment on some of them! There are all types of folks out there with a perception of success in life besides as we Americans measure success. I do lean that way, that money is not the true measure of success or happiness. And I do applaud those who can make the most of any situation, regardless of what that might be.

Guess what I'm saying is that I know some people will be happy regardless of where they are or what they do, and such may not really translate in the same way for others. It is the unknown, it is an adventure of sorts (even if you sit at the peer). I know it can be lonely and it can be a great social interaction. You can have a lavish lifestyle or a very humble one.

For me I think it would be a way to get away from people who I'm forced to be around in a "house" setting. My neighbors are fine, it's most of the population of my community that I'm beginning to despise. I'm thinking that if someone on the hook near me upsets me, I just move.....pretty simple. If I feel like going up some channel in a remote area and not putting up with civilization as we know it, I can. No man is an island, so I can always come back.

I'm not one who thinks the end is near, that wouldn't really matter, but I am getting pretty fed up (and that's not a Tea Party comment) with about everything, from politics, government, corporate and personal attitudes to just widely rude and insensitive people (especially in my area). They say if you can't lick'em, join 'em, well, you can also leave 'em!

I'm wondering about just checking out and living on my own terms, as close as I can get to my own terms on the face of the earth.....and that seems to be as a liveaboard!

That's my greatest motivation and I know it's more work than sitting at home. I know it's a pain to wake up a 2 am and find that you have to reset an anchor. It's not an easy life unless you have a hired crew. Everything is a trade off, and as things are, the trade off to me seems to be well worth it.

As soon as it gets warm, I'm calling the family and telling them to come get what they want. Now, if I can get the GF to clean out the house

I'm losing interest in "stuff", I mean why did I get 4 vehicles as a single driver? Nuts! Like the song goes.....We gotta get outta of this place, if it's the last thing we ever do....
Old 25-02-2012, 17:21   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Are You Ready to Live the Cruising Life ?

As I read through these posts I realize that the longer I'm a liveaboard cruiser, that's forty years this coming June 17th, the less I know about it! Everyone speaks of living aboard and cruising in relation to living in the house and on land. I've never lived in a house as an adult and never lived on land since all I owned would fit in my car. We were sailing in the Florida Keys these recent weeks and had some friends aboard who live on several acres with horses in North Florida. During some discussion I learned that my typical monthly expenses of diesel fuel, boat maintenance and occasional marinas was equal to what my friends paid in property taxes alone. We're cruising up to Maine for the summer,- it will take us three months to get there as we will be enjoying all our communities on the way. We don't have a car or a house or any possession that's not on our boat, but I think we must be doing what most people in houses do. We read, watch a little TV, buy groceries, sometimes eat out, do a little adventuring..........what's happening inside those houses? We raised our children aboard. They went to school. We cruised the Bahamas in the summers. We used to have cars and go to work from the boat in the morning........what's happening in those houses? We have a lot more space since our children left home. I have systems to work on to maintain my home,- cleaning and repairs............what about those houses? Maybe it's not so different? I don't know.

Tags
cruising