Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-10-2012, 13:58   #31
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Are you happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You keep asking about boredom -- I don't think that's ever a problem when cruising.
Maybe the boredom concern is wishful thinking?

We've known two couples who gave up cruising after a very short time--just a year or two--because of how much work it involved. Not only did they find boat maintenance to be overly demanding, but also that it took so long to deal with groceries, or get a haircut, fill the water tanks, et cetera.

Old 18-10-2012, 14:36   #32

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I would like to point out that living aboard is nothing like camping out. I loath camping - an attitude shaped by Boy Scout campouts in the cornfields that inevitably ended in a sea of mud. (So much so that when friends asked me to drive them to a campout in New York with lots of great music I refused to consider it - thereby missing the iconic event of my generation. I still would have hated the mud!)

Sleeping bags are banned on Carina: I sleep on thick, comfortable (dry) cushions with sheets and duvet or blankets and provide same for my crew. I have fans and a heater. There is a nice porcelain throne for thinking or whatever. I have a hard dodger and lots of canvas to keep the watch dry, and either warm or out of the sun as the case may be. There is no reason not to be comfortable in other than the occasional foul weather, and even then not very uncomfortable.

I always overbought canned goods for the long passages, and often took a long time to get rid of them. Most of the time cruising I ate far better than I do back home. Once out of the "developed" world people eat fresh local food; it just requires cooking. I could wax poetic about the fresh food in Turkey, but most places in the world have good local food.

My point is that cruising should be comfortable, or really pleasurable, and is for most folks. It is a great life, if usually done at a slower pace. It is probably not for adrenaline junkies. Boredom? Sometimes on long passages I would have to fight it off on long watches - that is what books are for. Otherwise, as others have said, there is always something that needs doing, or someone new to meet, or someplace new to visit. Go for it.

Greg

Old 18-10-2012, 15:06   #33

People that work a lot of hours at a job and somehow also get everything done at home that is needed, read about people being frustrated about how long it takes to get groceries, fill a tank, etc. on a boat and just can't believe anyone would complain about such a thing.

If you are retired and not working anymore, why would you care about how long anything takes. It beats being at work in an office without even a window all day.
What's the rush.
Old 18-10-2012, 15:35   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Smile Re: Are you happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
People that work a lot of hours at a job and somehow also get everything done at home that is needed, read about people being frustrated about how long it takes to get groceries, fill a tank, etc. on a boat and just can't believe anyone would complain about such a thing.

If you are retired and not working anymore, why would you care about how long anything takes. It beats being at work in an office without even a window all day.
What's the rush.
So are you guy that I always seem to be behind when I am driving, or going to the grocery store? Just kidding
Old 18-10-2012, 15:44   #35

Yeah, I'm the gal that is driving slow that you can't get around on the weekend. I have to go 100 miles an hour all week long and I'll be damned if I'm going to move faster than I want to on my time.
Can't wait till I retire - I can be a road hazard and aisle hog all week long.
Old 18-10-2012, 16:06   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
So are you guy that I always seem to be behind when I am driving, or going to the grocery store? Just kidding
Nope. It's me.
(check out my signature ... I really do live by it).
Old 18-10-2012, 20:31   #37

Boat: csy 37

we have a townhouse in florida but cruise our 37' csy to the bahamas for a few months at a time. its interesting how our lives change.

at home we do our own thing. we're together in the evenings but it's mostly watching tv or some other useless pursuit.

out cruising, we're together 24/7. and we actually enjoy it. she depends on me and i depend on her, more so than when back home. our days are fully occupied with something; can't tell you what, but as most cruisers say, 'i had nothing to do and it took me all day to do it'.

it's not too late to live happily ever after.
Old 18-10-2012, 20:33   #38
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
Planning to buy a Lagoon 42 and cruise the Caribbean. My wife is not totally on board and thinks we will get tired of it. I have been to the area around 10 times an love it.....But not on a boat. Any good-bad input would be appreciated.

If you get tired of it, sell the boat and go home and always remember it as a grand adventure.
Old 18-10-2012, 21:02   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

To the OP
Are there other reasons you wife is not totally on board?
Is it a feeling or something else that has her questioning this bold move?
How old are you guy's?
How can you realy think that she would be on board with the plan if she hasn't experinced the Caribbean 10 times like you have?
How much boat time do you and your wife have?
This is a big bold move, if you haven't spent some time on a boat before, captaining and crewing, I would start slow and work toward the ultimate goal.
Old 18-10-2012, 21:29   #40

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Nope. It's me.
(check out my signature ... I really do live by it).
I'm the same way. Driving down the road, speed limit says 45, I go 45. I've gone fast plenty of times and now just think, "what's the point". I still get to where I'm going. At this point, I don't care if others don't like it.

Enjoy life, enjoy all the little things and don't take things for granted.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 21:45   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamarich View Post
My wife and I took a year off in 1997 to travel from the great lakes to the Bahamas; we had the most wonderful time. We returned north to jobs waiting and our home on five acres and life there had lost all it's luster with no new adventure around every turn and just folks around us living the most boring lives. We left a year later and cruised the next five years from the Great Lakes as far south as Trinidad. It was the best time of our lives.

After five years we built a log cabin on a lake in the north woods on the southern boundary of the Canoe Area Wilderness and for a few years it was great with canoe trips into the wildernesses and our own lake and a grand dock; we had nine boats, sailboat, fishing boat, Boston Whaler, white water canoes, cruising canoe, pontoon boat and spares. Our families visited us often they all said it was the most perfect spot.

Maybe so but it was not cruising. We put our cabin up for sale. Sold all our boats but one canoe and were ready to head off. Times were hard to sell in 2007 and it took 4 1/2 years to sell, it was so hard to wait and plenty to time to think. At last it sold. We bought a Manta 42 catamaran and after the first year it is as wonderful as ever. We are never bored and mostly always happy; we are pretty happy folks anyway.

We lived on the hard in the most wonder spot in North America, in the most beautiful setting, no traffic or crime and it did not come close to life on a cruising boat. Once you let the canary out of their cage the little swing perch is no longer the same. We are all different some birds fly back into the cage on their own. Rich
Very nice post, Rich. I especially like your closing thoughts. Well done, mate!

For the op, Ann and I sailed out of SF in 1986 with the deal that as long as it was fun we'd keep going. Well, we're still out here... We've slowed down a bit, and some chronic medical issues have interfered with our plans, but really, being on the boat isn't the issue at all. We still love the life, the adventure (even if toned down a bit) the ever widening circle of yottie and landlubber friends we've made. The thought of living ashore is not a happy one, no matter how idyllic the location. A fixed location does not appeal to either of us, and the "grey nomad" RV existence just doesn't compare for us.

Happy?? Hell yes!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-10-2012, 03:42   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
it's not too late to live happily ever after.
I shall steal that line .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 04:07   #43

Boat: Lagoon 420

Wow! I never expected this many responses. I have the green light to get the boat, but have to keep a house somewhere too. Looked at houses and boats in Florida and decided, I don't want to live there. After that, we spent a few weeks in Grenada, looking at boats and houses. I made an offer on a 44' Lagoon, but the seller was looking for more then the boat was worth. I didn't buy a house there either, but we both loved the island and the people. The friendliest we have met in the Caribbean. Hope to find a small cottage near St. Georges, and will keep looking for a Lagoon.
Looking forward to the day, where I step on the boat, knowing there will be nothing on the schedule but fun and exploration.
Old 19-10-2012, 04:19   #44

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch

Ha ha, just me and the dog. No one to argue with other than the ocean. Oh yeah, lots of the sea gets into the cockpit, but she's still drier than surfing!
Old 19-10-2012, 04:19   #45

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
To the OP
Are there other reasons you wife is not totally on board?
Is it a feeling or something else that has her questioning this bold move?
How old are you guy's?
How can you realy think that she would be on board with the plan if she hasn't experinced the Caribbean 10 times like you have?
How much boat time do you and your wife have?
This is a big bold move, if you haven't spent some time on a boat before, captaining and crewing, I would start slow and work toward the ultimate goal.
We have been married 25 years and I'm 56. She went with me on all the trips in the Caribbean, and loved it. She didn't like sleeping on a 28' Formula while exploring the Chesapeake Bay. We lived on the water for 20 years and always had some kind of boat. Sail and power. A 42' Lagoon is a lot different, and she realizes that now.

Both our boys are still in school.(Law and Dental) She fears that she will miss out on their lives, as they get married and have children.
The compromise? Get a house and have the flexibility to fly back, for as long as she wants, to see the kids. For me, as long as the house is out of the hurricane belt, I'm in. It's a plan that's starting to take shape.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: