Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2016, 13:26   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 19
Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

I'm new in Alaska, and it looks like I'll be working in Anchorage. I don't have a boat yet, but when I get one I want to live aboard. From what I've read so far, it sounds like everyone keeps their boats in Whittier or Seward: too far for a daily commute to work. Are there marinas in Anchorage where people live aboard?
__________________

__________________
Water Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 18:44   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alaska now, San Carlos Mexico in the near future
Boat: Looking for a catamaran
Posts: 134
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

Nope. The Port of Anchorage doesn't have a small boat harbor. Whittier is going to be your closest place and slips are very hard to get in Whittier. The wait list in the old harbor is 5-7 years. The new boat harbor is a condo situation, you might be able to rent one if the owner's boat is not there right now, that's going to be about $500/mo. and then you have to get through the tunnel and to work in Anchorage every day. That road can get bad in the winter. People do commute in from Girdwood, so it's doable but not easy.

Whittier is a wonderful place to have a boat, though, Prince William Sound is amazing. If you want to keep a boat there, get one with a good heater. It rains like a SOB there so you have to have something to ward off the chill.

Good luck, it's an amazing place to have a boat, there are lots of adventures to be had!
__________________

__________________
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 20:08   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: Between boats, taking a break.
Posts: 3,380
Images: 114
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminAK View Post
Nope. The Port of Anchorage doesn't have a small boat harbor. Whittier is going to be your closest place and slips are very hard to get in Whittier. The wait list in the old harbor is 5-7 years. The new boat harbor is a condo situation, you might be able to rent one if the owner's boat is not there right now, that's going to be about $500/mo. and then you have to get through the tunnel and to work in Anchorage every day. That road can get bad in the winter. People do commute in from Girdwood, so it's doable but not easy.

Whittier is a wonderful place to have a boat, though, Prince William Sound is amazing. If you want to keep a boat there, get one with a good heater. It rains like a SOB there so you have to have something to ward off the chill.

Good luck, it's an amazing place to have a boat, there are lots of adventures to be had!
Have you ever heard of the Bahamas?
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
www.odincharters.com
www.susanhanssen.com
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 11:56   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 19
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminAK View Post
Nope. The Port of Anchorage doesn't have a small boat harbor.
So Anchorage doesn't have, hmmm, an anchorage except for big ships?

Is it easier to get a slip in Seward, or even Homer?
__________________
Water Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 19:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oregon to Alaska
Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Posts: 1,644
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

If you're not use to driving on ice and snow, you might live in Anchorage for a year.
Many Alaskans commute, and many professional drivers are on the roads every day, but travel between two cities isn't a guarantee every day. I'm long retired, and I never missed a day because of ice or snow. But you need to be prepared, have the right vehicle, and be able to drive on slick or snow covered roads. Sometimes I wisely stayed in town.
__________________
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 20:20   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alaska now, San Carlos Mexico in the near future
Boat: Looking for a catamaran
Posts: 134
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

It is easier to get a slip in Seward or Homer, I don't know what the wait times are. At one time I was on the list for a slip in Seward for five years before I got one, but it's not that way now. You might wait a year or at least that's what I've heard. I don't know anything about Homer.
__________________
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 20:22   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alaska now, San Carlos Mexico in the near future
Boat: Looking for a catamaran
Posts: 134
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

"So Anchorage doesn't have, hmmm, an anchorage except for big ships? "

Yeah, seems a little strange doesn't it? But Anchorage isn't an ice free port, so maybe that 's the reason?? I don't know.
__________________
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 15:39   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 19
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If you're not use to driving on ice and snow, you might live in Anchorage for a year.
Many Alaskans commute, and many professional drivers are on the roads every day, but travel between two cities isn't a guarantee every day. I'm long retired, and I never missed a day because of ice or snow. But you need to be prepared, have the right vehicle, and be able to drive on slick or snow covered roads. Sometimes I wisely stayed in town.
Out of curiosity, how far did you commute? I've done snow and ice driving before, but I know from experience that a 50-mile each way commute is SUCH a drag, even in good weather in southern states. I guess I'm stuck with Anchorage for now, but maybe later I'll have better luck finding work in a small town (I work on airplanes). After all, I didn't come all the way to Alaska just to live in the big city.
__________________
Water Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 15:43   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 19
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminAK View Post
At one time I was on the list for a slip in Seward for five years before I got one, but it's not that way now.
Did you already have a boat while you were on the waiting list? If so, where did you put it? Can you just anchor for as long as you want?
__________________
Water Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 15:59   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Nanaimo BC
Boat: modified Spray 56' oa
Posts: 349
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

Spent a winter on the hook at the end of the Kenai Pen .Windy Bay to be exact. It was an interesting experience. I wouldn't live in a big motor home in Anchorage but it's a nice place to visit.
__________________
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 19:00   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alaska now, San Carlos Mexico in the near future
Boat: Looking for a catamaran
Posts: 134
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
Did you already have a boat while you were on the waiting list? If so, where did you put it? Can you just anchor for as long as you want?
Yep, already had a boat. It was in "transient mooring" for 5 years, usually rafting up on the end dock with 4 or 5 other boats. Not the ideal situation.
__________________
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 23:09   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alaska
Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter
Posts: 338
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

I live in anchorage and have a boat in Seward. The comments about Whittier are spot on, but Seward has a long wait list too. It depends on slip size. If you have a boat 36' or less the wait is shorter. Anchorage is unsuitable for boats,period. Huge area of water and never any boats using it. The tides are the second biggest in the world along with extreme shallows and shifting mud all the time. Only big ships at high tide can manage.

Good advice also about commuting. It would be ok to do in spring fall and summer but winter, no. E funny thing is living aboard in Seward is really easy even in winter. Whittier not so much, as it is pretty harsh. We get winds over 100 mph several times a year and 50 is very common, but not too big a deal really. We don't even worry or do anything unusual with those winds and the worst thing that has happened is we got black marks from the docks and fenders rubbing which is nothing.

You can live in an rv in anchorage if that would suit your fancy, it's really easy living here most of the time. Any more info pm me if you like.

Scott


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alaska, anchor, liveaboard

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any young sailors out there, and who owns a pilot cutter? MayaB Meets & Greets 7 31-03-2015 14:46
One of those hey there, hi there, ho there posts Noreasta Meets & Greets 13 25-09-2013 11:44
Are There any Truly "Bad" Models of Multihulls Out There? Rohan Multihull Sailboats 11 18-06-2013 12:49
Are There Any Dean Aeros Out There ? niel12 Multihull Sailboats 10 18-08-2012 18:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.