Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 15:42   #346

Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
This is pure BS.
If you think so why not participate in upcoming public discussions to be hosted by Sausalito's RBRA? That's what they're for, so people can speak their mind.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2015, 22:05   #347

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

This;
Lack of accessible public showers in Sausalito is a particularly sore point for anchor-outs like McGovern and Romanowsky, who say they usually go without. Others depend on the kindness of friends or have managed to gain access to private harbor facilities. "I'm stuck out here, and they've closed every shower," McGovern says. "It makes a person like me become real angry."
Romanowsky says he'll easily go a year without a hot shower. "This town is so stingy that they won't provide any public showers," he says. "I have a big long bread knife. I just scrape my skin with a bread knife. I call it a knife bath."

The Anchor-Outs | Features | North Bay Bohemian

I was thinking that maybe we could at least do a fundraising. Buy 100 sun showers and deliver to those in need. Seems it is a small gesture but would make a huge difference to some. I'll buy the first 10. I think they sell for $5-$10 at Walmart? Anybody in?
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2015, 22:16   #348
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I was thinking that maybe we could at least do a fundraising. Buy 100 sun showers and deliver to those in need. Seems it is a small gesture but would make a huge difference to some. I'll buy the first 10. I think they sell for $5-$10 at Walmart? Anybody in?
The thought is nice, but the summer winds cool the solar showers too much when on the bay, to be usable except for September I think. I have several and they never get warm on the central bay. I heat water on the stove then. It's a nice thought though.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-06-2015, 10:43   #349

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
This;
Lack of accessible public showers in Sausalito is a particularly sore point for anchor-outs like McGovern and Romanowsky, who say they usually go without. Others depend on the kindness of friends or have managed to gain access to private harbor facilities. "I'm stuck out here, and they've closed every shower," McGovern says. "It makes a person like me become real angry."
Romanowsky says he'll easily go a year without a hot shower. "This town is so stingy that they won't provide any public showers," he says. "I have a big long bread knife. I just scrape my skin with a bread knife. I call it a knife bath."

The Anchor-Outs | Features | North Bay Bohemian

Has anyone approached the town with the idea if it was at least a no cost issue to the town?

Either self supporting or explore benefactors or charities to offset costs?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-06-2015, 10:50   #350

Quote:
This is pure BS.
Why?...sounds like a lot of other government programs to me.

I agree better handled by charities...but still may need government assistance at both levels.
Old 13-06-2015, 11:38   #351

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Why?...sounds like a lot of other government programs to me...
This.

If you support this, you're part of the problem.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-06-2015, 11:49   #352

Quote:
This.

If you support this, you're part of the problem.
depends on what problem and what the goal is...

You have the answer obviously...what is it?
Old 13-06-2015, 11:56   #353
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
In Sausalito, California funding has been approved for the Richardson Bay Regional Authority to lay the groundwork for installing a mooring field. It isn't going to happen tomorrow because part of the process involves community outreach in order to foster support.

There will of course be requirements anyone wanting to use a mooring has to meet. An inspection of your boat, proof of ownership and current registration will be in the mix. A prominently placed decal will identify boats that have met requirements, making it easier for enforcement authorities to identify and deal with interlopers. These same standards will apply to a newly designated transient anchorage. Less certain, will be the requirement anchored boats must re-anchor every 15 days. This to preclude boaters from 'taking ownership' of a spot and possibly installing an illegal mooring under cover of darkness. Finally, it has been suggested conventional wisdom that liveboards should only be allowed in marinas be turned on it's ear. It may be an uphill battle convincing the BCDC why this should occur. But, if implemented there will be a requirement only boats occupied by the owner full time, one per household, will be permitted in Richardson Bay. The advantageous of this are not insignificant. It will mean anyone presently using the Bay as a sales lot with the objective of selling dollar boats at profits of over $1,000 per sale will be evicted. Abandoned boats will be dealt with appropriately. Side tied boats will no longer be tolerated, which is a popular way for some to store the dollar boats for sale; and others who are more garage mechanic than sailor to manage overflow and project materials that are sometimes hazardous if not downright unsightly.

Anyone wanting to see Richardson Bay finally cleaned up while preserving liveaboard rights should contact the Sausalito City Council, BCDC and RBRA in writing, encouraging the liveaboard requirement in particular. Of the approximately 200 boats presently in the Bay, a reliable source tells me roughly 150 of them are unnoccupied.
Thanks for posting this, and with good detailed info. The details clarified some things I had wondered about related to Richardson Bay. I am surprised that such a high percentage of the boats are unoccupied, as I had thought most of them were occupied, even the ones that are old, unkempt, and look like storage hulks (I had seen some people on some that looked like hulks).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-06-2015, 12:20   #354

The answer is to mind our own business. And not burden others with paying for solutions to problems that do not exist.
Old 13-06-2015, 14:17   #355

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
The answer is to mind our own business. And not burden others with paying for solutions to problems that do not exist.

Sometimes (actually usually) these good intentioned programs just end up creating a situation that is so favorable for flopping and becoming a boat bum (or any other kind of bum) that it that it attracts people that had other alternatives but this option just became so much easier and more liveable.
Old 13-06-2015, 15:55   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post

Sometimes (actually usually) these good intentioned programs just end up creating a situation that is so favorable for flopping and becoming a boat bum (or any other kind of bum) that it that it attracts people that had other alternatives but this option just became so much easier and more liveable.
If you were at all familiar with the situation in Sausalito you'd know there are already people who have little incentive to work because local churches keep them fed and clothed.

How many are on boats I do not personally know. But, I know at least some anchor outs are among the their number.

There are those who have jobs just scraping by. Do you tell these people who are trying to just take a hike? I'm surprised. No, really I'm not at all surprised that resistance to giving a break on the cost of staying on a port mooring to people who take the initiative to support themselves exists. People who are in school trying to improve their odds for finding a job. People engaged in a drug rehabilitation program. Even when the percentage of subsidy remains unknown? You should at least wait until you know what's proposed before throwing vulnerable people under the bus.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-06-2015, 17:09   #357

What BS! You're breaking my heart.
Old 13-06-2015, 18:07   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The thought is nice, but the summer winds cool the solar showers too much when on the bay, to be usable except for September I think. I have several and they never get warm on the central bay. I heat water on the stove then. It's a nice thought though.
Sorry to hear that my idea isn't practical given the climate in that area. I wish I could help.
Old 13-06-2015, 18:16   #359

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post

I was just trying to think of a low cost solution to a problem of cleanliness and basic hygiene. I wasn't really trying to tackle the bigger picture of this threads' subject. My bad, thread drift.

I only meant to make a person less fortunate a little more comfortable. In my mind donating something worth less than $10 would be similar to me donating shampoo, toothpaste, soap etc. to the local shelter or food bank. I didn't look at it as an enticement though. Do people really give up jobs because someone offered them a derelict boat and a shower? Wow, I'm way out of touch with society! I always thought that people in dire straits got there due to illness or tragedy or sometimes just life circumstances. Consider me enlightened!
Old 13-06-2015, 18:27   #360

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Are liveaboards unwanted? disliked? all over everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Still floating on The Bay.

At Pier 39, where the sea lions hang out, west side.
Don't try that in Oregon where they want to kill the Sea lions for eating our Salmon... you might get caught in the crossfire.

Tags
liveaboard, wanted