Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 18:15   #286

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

My take on the subject. We need a national law. Live aboards welcome provided they document and log at least a 20 mile open water trip every four weeks. That way the flotsam will go into open water and disappear. Those boats that are functional and well maintained would be legal.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2015, 18:54   #287

Did not read all 29 pages, so apologize is I am repeating, but in Marathon Florida at the city mooring field you are required to be a live aboard. Thought that was an interesting twist.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 04:34   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I suppose that makes all of our founding fathers criminals.
They would definitely all be on the terrorists watch list!

But, the idea that an entire group is punished for the misdeeds of a few is insane. Think what that thought process could lead to.

Working in the less desirable parts of town, I have found people living in their cars that were parked in driveways. The only rational solution, based on some people's ideas, would seem to be to ban the parking of cars in driveways.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:48   #289
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Only in America and sadly over the last 25 years the UK.
the rest of the world is live and let live..
Our money makes marinas viable..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 05:17   #290
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'll take a moment to repeat my own observations.

My wife and I have been living aboard and cruising in the US for 44 years mostly in Florida. We have stayed at about a hundred marinas for as long as a day or for years. We have remained at about a hundred anchorages for as long a a day or for months.

During this time we have never experienced any behavior by authorities, marina staff or property owners indicating that we were unwelcomed or undesirable and we have never been approached by any authority questioning our intentions regarding our anchoring or dockage.

I do realize that my experiences would likely be different if my vessel were in disrepair and poor condition; if we were to trespass on private property ashore; or maybe even if we were to decide to anchor in more residential canals.

I'm not doubting the incidents where liveaboards have had difficulty, but I do deny that it is a pervasive problem.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:28   #291
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Sort of ➥ The Founding Fathers: Smugglers, Tax Evaders AndÂ*Traitors - Home - The Daily Bail

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 06:03   #292

An easy solution would be to not allow boats with a value of less then $2000 to anchor, anywhere. Sorry day sailors, get a trailer
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 06:43   #293

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
They would definitely all be on the terrorists watch list!
Well, the Founding Fathers were not terrorists but they were traitors to the king. When they signed the Declaration of Independence they signed their own Death Warrant if they had been caught.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 07:44   #294
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
My take on the subject. We need a national law. Live aboards welcome provided they document and log at least a 20 mile open water trip every four weeks. That way the flotsam will go into open water and disappear. Those boats that are functional and well maintained would be legal.
LOL, 90% of the non-liveaboard boats in marinas around here never move in years. The liveaboard boats generally are for the most part as clean or cleaner then the non-liveaboard boats, that never see it's owner. So if there is a national law, lets make it apply to everyone. Liveaboard and non-liveaboard alike. Sound fair.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 08:03   #295

Boat: Skookum 53'

How about let's not add another blanket law to the books, we have enough already.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:45   #296

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
An easy solution would be to not allow boats with a value of less then $2000 to anchor, anywhere...
You must work for the government?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 09:36   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Did not read all 29 pages, so apologize is I am repeating, but in Marathon Florida at the city mooring field you are required to be a live aboard. Thought that was an interesting twist.
In Sausalito, California funding has been approved for the Richardson Bay Regional Authority to lay the groundwork for installing a mooring field. It isn't going to happen tomorrow because part of the process involves community outreach in order to foster support.

There will of course be requirements anyone wanting to use a mooring has to meet. An inspection of your boat, proof of ownership and current registration will be in the mix. A prominently placed decal will identify boats that have met requirements, making it easier for enforcement authorities to identify and deal with interlopers. These same standards will apply to a newly designated transient anchorage. Less certain, will be the requirement anchored boats must re-anchor every 15 days. This to preclude boaters from 'taking ownership' of a spot and possibly installing an illegal mooring under cover of darkness. Finally, it has been suggested conventional wisdom that liveboards should only be allowed in marinas be turned on it's ear. It may be an uphill battle convincing the BCDC why this should occur. But, if implemented there will be a requirement only boats occupied by the owner full time, one per household, will be permitted in Richardson Bay. The advantageous of this are not insignificant. It will mean anyone presently using the Bay as a sales lot with the objective of selling dollar boats at profits of over $1,000 per sale will be evicted. Abandoned boats will be dealt with appropriately. Side tied boats will no longer be tolerated, which is a popular way for some to store the dollar boats for sale; and others who are more garage mechanic than sailor to manage overflow and project materials that are sometimes hazardous if not downright unsightly.

Anyone wanting to see Richardson Bay finally cleaned up while preserving liveaboard rights should contact the Sausalito City Council, BCDC and RBRA in writing, encouraging the liveaboard requirement in particular. Of the approximately 200 boats presently in the Bay, a reliable source tells me roughly 150 of them are unnoccupied.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 09:49   #298
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
How about let's not add another blanket law to the books, we have enough already.
Oh I agree, we have too many laws. Live and let live works for me.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 11:05   #299

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

San Diego and so cal have a lot of live-aboard options. Yes, permanently anchoring inside the bay is no longer legal, but you can permanently anchor outside the bay and anchor temporarily for storms inside the bay. Marinas allow 10% live-a boards and most have room. They're very accommodating, and I've done it for a few months at a time. We have multiple large mooring fields, and my brother lives aboard moored downtown.

The port authority is strict about pump-out--they are about to require dye tablets in black water tanks and will kick out bad actors who leak into the bay. The harbor police will come around randomly and require you to flush one of there have been reports about your boat. If it leaks dye, you're out. If your boat cannot move to a pump-out and back to anchor/mooring under its own steam, it is derelict and must go or be seized. This is all quite reasonable IMHO.

Elsewhere, there are numerous coves in Catalina and the Channel Islands where you can anchor for as long as you want. No services, but if you are truly as independent as you say you are, that's not a problem. I know a few folks who live on the hook out there on well maintained boats, no problem for anyone. They don't attract derelicts because there are no services to leech off of.

Derelicts are not welcome anywhere, nor should they be. A few reasonable laws to expel the bad actors keeps living aboard in option for the responsible people.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 11:14   #300

Boat: O'Day 28

We don't need no more stinkin laws. Enforcement of existing regs for specific cases would do the job.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
liveaboard, wanted