Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 21:19   #166

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

I BLEW it. Shoulda said: "...liveaboard in the WINTER in Boston...
Understood
Old 04-05-2014, 05:15   #167
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

I just read through this whole thing, or at least the surviving portions after Coop obviously strapped his razor spurs on and hit the arena. I read it because I was interested in how other places view people who live on boats full time. I am interested because we are getting much, much closer to that day ourselves. And then I read this, and see that in 12 pages of responses, almost all of it is about the continental US. California, Boston, Washington, Florida, Georgia...

And a couple mentions of Brunei, Philippines, but not a word about Rio Dulce, Belize, Roatan, Grenada, the Bahamas,
Does anyone know where the cruisers/liveaboards who don't stick to the US coast hang out?

I heard some older chickens giving an egg some advice this morning. They told to be very careful crossing roads, because "if you do, you'll NEVER hear the end of it."
Old 04-05-2014, 08:54   #168

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I just read through this whole thing, or at least the surviving portions after Coop obviously strapped his razor spurs on and hit the arena. I read it because I was interested in how other places view people who live on boats full time. I am interested because we are getting much, much closer to that day ourselves. And then I read this, and see that in 12 pages of responses, almost all of it is about the continental US. California, Boston, Washington, Florida, Georgia...

And a couple mentions of Brunei, Philippines, but not a word about Rio Dulce, Belize, Roatan, Grenada, the Bahamas,
Does anyone know where the cruisers/liveaboards who don't stick to the US coast hang out?

I heard some older chickens giving an egg some advice this morning. They told to be very careful crossing roads, because "if you do, you'll NEVER hear the end of it."

I'm guessing if you're in a great spot, mum's the word. Much easier before the www.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 09:31   #169

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
...Does anyone know where the cruisers/liveaboards who don't stick to the US coast hang out?...
Two different entities. Cruisers are what the name implies, transients. The term "liveaboards" generally refers to non-transients, permanent residents.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 09:58   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert644 View Post
............................... The harbor here tried to make a rule stating that boats could only be in the harbor with 'original power' ....................
This statement causes me to wonder where you might be. I'm in Florida where there has been a huge controversy about some municipalities determining the right to regulate mooring fields and nearby anchoring; and yet, I here it is often casually mentioned that there are restrictions to anchoring in California harbors where people need permits and there are designated areas with restricted lengths of stay. I've also heard of restrictions or rules in the Pacific Nortwest US & Canada regarding anchoring permits. The idea of a "harbor" making a rule is confusing to me. What regulatory entity would the "harbor" be? Here in Florida, we have no shortage of marine enforcement agencies,- Florida Wildlife Comission, Municipal Marine Police, USCG, DNR; however, despite all the volume of activity there continues to be little or no restriction for anchoring out among vessels that are capable of cruising about. There are no Harbor Masters that I am aware of in the Southeast US and no government entities that are designated to govern the movement of boats within specific harbors. I'm just curious about where these places are where harbors make rules.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:40   #171

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Talking Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

There is a reason why politics and rants about politics are prohibited on CF. This is a legitimate thread about issues regarding living aboard your boat. You will get few "dittos" here. In my own experience living aboard was both challenge and pleasure. I personally experienced many of the issues brought up here. I have do and that good behaviour and good boat care limited most problems. There will always be conflict between weekend boaters and liveaboards. In reality both sides have valid concerns. The marina if its well run tries to bridge the gap and create a sense of community. That can be difficult given the disparity of wealth and experience amongst the various boat/yacht owners. In my marina the largest boats rarely move, the smallest also rarely move. The wood boats (including mine) require a great deal more care and are tolerated as long as you obey the rules. Its the mid size frp boats that get the most use. Liveaboards are clean and well maintained. Really, its the climate that presents the greatest challenge, especially if one is no longer young.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 10:44   #172
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I'm just curious about where these places are where harbors make rules.
Well Its probably more a west coast thing. Socal seems to have tons of regulations by the ports and/or harbor police

Washington state seems to be trying to out do California in the we don't want no stinking anchor outs here regulations.

Richardson Bay off Sausalito in the SF bay is in theory regulated by the Bay Conservation and Development Commission, BCDC. Actually the whole central bay is under the BCDC. They have a harbor master and I guess boaters are to take a bus to the BCDC office in San Refael (10 miles away from Sausalito) and fill out a permit for 30 days extendable to 90 max. But I've not know anyone that actually did that. Nearly all the boats there have been there years if not decades.

I've yet to see anyone from the BCDC. Though they did kick the Google barge out of the bay. Google was constructing a building on a barge at a commercial dock at treasure island. They oddly forgot to get a permit from the BCDC and were chased out of the bay. Google moved it up to Stockton, 80 miles away in the delta, who were happy to see them.

Might be why Toyota is moving their US headquarters from California to Texas. Way too much red tape here.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 10:55   #173

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
This statement causes me to wonder where you might be. I'm in Florida where there has been a huge controversy about some municipalities determining the right to regulate mooring fields and nearby anchoring; and yet, I here it is often casually mentioned that there are restrictions to anchoring in California harbors where people need permits and there are designated areas with restricted lengths of stay. I've also heard of restrictions or rules in the Pacific Nortwest US & Canada regarding anchoring permits. The idea of a "harbor" making a rule is confusing to me. What regulatory entity would the "harbor" be? Here in Florida, we have no shortage of marine enforcement agencies,- Florida Wildlife Comission, Municipal Marine Police, USCG, DNR; however, despite all the volume of activity there continues to be little or no restriction for anchoring out among vessels that are capable of cruising about. There are no Harbor Masters that I am aware of in the Southeast US and no government entities that are designated to govern the movement of boats within specific harbors. I'm just curious about where these places are where harbors make rules.
No long-term anchoring in WA state. Thirty days in a row in one harbor, or 90 days max during a year. As far as I know, the only legal place to anchor and live full time is in Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge Island. Liveaboards have to pay a small, yearly fee but this gets them the code to the showers and there is a dumpster off the city dock. The marinas allow liveaboards (presumably there's a quota, but I don't think it's an issue) for an additional fee above the slip fee. The marinas are private and prices vary greatly. You can even rent a slip from the slip owner rather than the marina and negotiate your own price. Liveaboard fees range from $35 to $100 (last time we checked) with various things like electricity and rec room maybe included.

My main man pays less than $450 a month for his slip that includes (pay) showers, potties, (pay) laundry, portable pumpout dealie, water and metered electricity. He had a deal with an owner for a while for about half that amount.

That being said, a lot of boats are anchored in less desirable harbors and never move (or maybe have to leave in the summer if the anchorage gets crowded). If you are happy next to a small town where the grocery store is a mile uphill, you can probably camp out for quite a while as long as you're polite and don't try to take advantage. If you want a convenient spot near the city dock, grocery store, theater, ferry terminal, etc, then you have to follow the rules.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:55   #174

CaptForce,

You asked where I was ? I am on the west coast, north of the Columbia river. Private harbors make their own rules, city owned harbors have some kind of managing agency.

We have no boats anchored offshore here. I don't think it's even possible. But we do have at least 4 boats in the harbor here with chicken coops on them. I spoke with harbor authorities about it and they mention something about 'livestock in the harbor', so I'll see.

We also have one guy with 2 30'+ sailboats. One is his home. The other is home to his 5 dogs.

Did I mention the goat ?
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 12:02   #175

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Goat? Is DOJ lurking in WA? Is it a ferro cat?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 13:16   #176

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert644 View Post
CaptForce,

You asked where I was ? I am on the west coast, north of the Columbia river. Private harbors make their own rules, city owned harbors have some kind of managing agency.

We have no boats anchored offshore here. I don't think it's even possible. But we do have at least 4 boats in the harbor here with chicken coops on them. I spoke with harbor authorities about it and they mention something about 'livestock in the harbor', so I'll see.

We also have one guy with 2 30'+ sailboats. One is his home. The other is home to his 5 dogs.

Did I mention the goat ?
Wifey B: I'm breaking up just trying to picture that. Everyone just asked why I was giggling. I've not yet seen a boat with chicken coops on it, other than on tv and then that was in Alaska. This must be a PNW thing. I assume it's for the eggs? Are there roosters crowing in the mornings? It's one of those things I don't even know how I feel about. I think one boat with chickens I'd be ok as just our eccentric neighbor. But four. And I have to guess that five dogs left on a boat do some barking when they feel appropriate. Being waked at 4 AM by roosters crowing on four boats and five dogs barking, doesn't sound like it would be pleasant.

In our area someone would be more inclined to have reptiles of some sort.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 13:50   #177

I don't live in that harbor so I don't know about barking or crowing in the morning. Yeah, I'm sure it is for the eggs. Flower planters on the dock, children's toys and bicycles left in the middle of the walk, 'liveaboard modifications' being worked on the main dock, it just goes on.

I'm not saying this is bad inherently. There isn't always children's bicycles on the walk and I've only see a couple of dog packs roaming the docks in the 5 years I have been here.

It makes things interesting. And I always like to walk the docks to see the new liveaboats being designed. I'm watching one now. It's a 28' powerboat with at least a 10 foot extension placed on the stern. It sits with it's sides and roof completed but no back wall.

The worst liveaboards are easy to spot. They usually get ahold of a powerboat of some kind. Then you see the boat under the hoist, engine coming out. Or on the tidal grid, outdrive being removed. 'For repair' but that part will never go back in the boat. All the fuel is siphoned off and the stern of the boat sticks way up in the air. One boat, a 36' cruiser, they couldn't get the garden house they used for siphoning out of the fuel fill. So a green piece of hose sticking out the fuel fill became a permanent addition to the boat. Of course anything of value goes. Oil stove, electronics, etc.

A sailboat is a little different. They will just sit. Outboard motor becomes covered in growth, moss grows on the boat. They seem to be a much quieter group than those who live on powerboats. Sailboat people seem to last much longer, whereas those who buy powerboats quickly accumulate deck junk and vanish. I guess sailboat buyers have some kind of dream about sailing around the world or something, whereas those buying powerboats know they are just going for cheap living.

Of course there are nice boats, but I am just primarily focused on one certain segment.
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 13:53   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I'm breaking up just trying to picture that. Everyone just asked why I was giggling. I've not yet seen a boat with chicken coops on it, other than on tv and then that was in Alaska. This must be a PNW thing. I assume it's for the eggs? Are there roosters crowing in the mornings? It's one of those things I don't even know how I feel about. I think one boat with chickens I'd be ok as just our eccentric neighbor. But four. And I have to guess that five dogs left on a boat do some barking when they feel appropriate. Being waked at 4 AM by roosters crowing on four boats and five dogs barking, doesn't sound like it would be pleasant....
A pack of dogs on a boat does not sound pleasant from a noise and smell viewpoint...

You don't need a rooster to make eggs, you just need a rooster to fertilize eggs to make more chickens. We have some hens and they are mostly quiet and produce eggs, though I think we could buy the eggs cheaper then the cost of the feed. The hens are USUALLY quiet but they can cluck up a storm if they are upset. I can never figure out WHY they get upset and start their cackling but they seem to do it on the weekend, at dawn of course, when I am trying to sleep in.

Chickens do make quite a bit of chicken poo that can stink. If the chicken cages was hovering over water I supposed that solves that problem but hopefully the water in the area had some flow to move the stuff away...

It is funny that English has so many phrases from chickens, being hen pecked, cackling like a bunch of hens, being cooped up, etc. They really do have these behaviors.

We had a fox yelping around the chicken run/garden Friday night. The nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away and I could hear dogs all around us barking at the noise that fox was making. So as long as another boat in the marina does not have a fox, everything should be ok.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 14:16   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I'm breaking up just trying to picture that. Everyone just asked why I was giggling. I've not yet seen a boat with chicken coops on it, other than on tv and then that was in Alaska. This must be a PNW thing. I assume it's for the eggs? Are there roosters crowing in the mornings? It's one of those things I don't even know how I feel about. I think one boat with chickens I'd be ok as just our eccentric neighbor. But four. And I have to guess that five dogs left on a boat do some barking when they feel appropriate. Being waked at 4 AM by roosters crowing on four boats and five dogs barking, doesn't sound like it would be pleasant.

In our area someone would be more inclined to have reptiles of some sort.
I do wish that you guys would stop calling me chicken.

Coops.
Old 04-05-2014, 14:24   #180
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Although I'm staying in Florida and often at a marina this summer instead of my usual migration north, I am very pleased that restrictions on anchoring are not plagued with permits and difficult regulations on the US East Coast. We have been concerned with the new mooring fields in Florida, but they are far less frequent and far less expensive than the New England mooring fields.

I've seen plenty of dog and cats on board and an ocassional parrot, but chickens and goats are new to me. I can't imagine why someone would take on those animals aboard! Oh, back in 1972 we had a capuchin monkey aboard, but I'd not do that again!

Tags
liveaboard, wanted