Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2015, 13:22   #646
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
This is a fact: I anchor overnight on an average of once a year. Last time (earlier this month) was two nights on a flooded Delta "island."




Quote:
I'm more of a marina-to-marina, eat-at-a-restaurant kind of guy.
Me thinks the gauntlet has been thrown down...
__________________

__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 15:02   #647
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

wrong:


************************************************** *********

And therin lies the reason for the antipathy created in your conversations with others. You have created in your mind an image of being a professional cruiser and one in which you can solve the worlds problems by your 25 years as a cruiser and are not afraid to inform everyone of your status.

Nobody can take away the years you spent at a tiller. It is what you chose to do, and I for one applaud it.

However.

You present yourself in argumentation with a false humility. Even your name of Wrong, and then you proceed to right the whole boating world with your experience in a dogmatic way, non remitting and with continued prejudice against posters who disagree with you.

Im a doctor. It scares me sometimes the responsibilty of it. So much so that I and colleagues in our own time spend hours looking into new treatments and studying drugs and discard combinations of drugs based on the manufacturers own warnings. We look at certain illnesses and compare what used to be the treatment with the results with what is done today. When I see that old treatments yielded a 36% success rate, and new treatments yield an 85% success rate, I get the privilege of making the observed decision that the 25 year 'experienced' man could have changed his methodology 10 years ago but chose not to keep up with the times.

Secondly, I dont expect strangers to take my medical advice without a second or third opinion. Sometimes I push patients to talk with other consultants or I will, with their permission arrange a telephone or video call, in their presence to a specialist, and see what they have to offer. Just because I have a certain experience, it is not all encompassing or the total knowledge, it is just MY experience and one way of doing things.

There is a huge difference in presenting "facts" and presenting opinion. Even 'facts' if not researched are worse than an opinion because you are staking your actions and reputation on someone elses mal observation.

The final thing on the doctor theme. If I am sure of something, with facts and test results and disease knowledge and prognosis, I will present it to you as I have it. The choice of what to do is NOT MY DECISION. I have not given you an opinion, just the facts. If you choose to ignore the FACTS and my considered choice of treatment, I am not offended. I am not resentful. Time will bear out the reality of the diagnosis, and you can bet that I will also recommend to the patient other avenues to explore. I dont sit back and say, I have 30 years of experience, do what I say.

You consider yourself a cruiser. You consider yourself a man of the world. You offer opinions like we all do. Your not a politician or a government official and yet you have the answer to the Californian issue in the bay.

So much so that you doggedly hung in there raising the matter time and time again and in the process fell out with someone who is also a current cruiser who offers in the main sound researched advice on mechanical matters, because she is a qualified engineer.

Its an opinion you offer, not a fact.

To round off the whole matter, I have had a pilots licence for 42 years. I have a total of 3732 hours flying time. I dont consider it makes me a "Pilot" because it is not my vocation or employment. Its what I do for fun. My 16 hours of flight for last year were mainly catching up on safety practices and a recertification for an aircraft.

If I offer an opinion that is not researched or based on factual reality or even if it makes not a scrap of difference to the situation because Im not able to change it...... I will in due course have to hold my hand up and shout "Im an ARSE!!"

So I tend to make huge allowances for others because the reality is we are all ARSES, and sadly some other ARSE will be correct at some point and I will be wrong, and I have to swallow the reality that I was the bigger arse.

Other people will make the judgement as to whether Im a doctor of worth, My claiming to be a 30 year veteran means squat. It just means I did it.

Other people will make the judgement whether or not Im a good pilot or not, not that I have had a licence for 42 years from being a kid.

Other people will judge whether I am a good cruiser or not, actually the other day I got pulled up for a bad habit I have and got roundly ridiculed when it backfired on me........I had to put my hand up and say Im an ARSE! because my years of sailing counted for squat.

You dont get a get out of jail card here on CF for a claim you make. You get it for approval from your peers, and I dont include myself in that crowd because your 25 years of living and sailing and 2 circs, as you constantly tell us, are more than I can even dream of. But it counts for nothing if you dont have respect and need to demand it or point it out constantly.

I would much rather 'learn' from your experience. Just state it as it happened and stop beating up on us lesser mortals, some of whom are not as less as you think. (Except for me because I do lack experience)

On another note, I truly am sorry that your health is not as good as it could be. I mean that sincerely and with empathy. It will not stop me being an ARSE over your ARSENESS at times, but it will allow me to offer a genuine human offer of whatever help you need in terms of information or if I can suggest something for your consideration, please just PM me in confidence. Disagreements mean nothing where health is a concern. Id like to see you better so we can disagree some more without me feeling guilty over it.

And I feel an ARSE for writing this but hey.. I hold my hand up and admit it.
__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 15:43   #648
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
.................

Cruisers move about with their boats and do not return to their same dock or mooring after only daysails.
Liveaboards make use of their vessel as their home without a house or apartment ashore.
.........................
There are no credentials, certifications, or documents to identify anyone as a liveaboard or a cruiser. It makes no difference if you've completed 2 or 27 half circumnavigations; lived on the boat for 3 days or 25 years. Actually, few people have any reason to be impressed or care. I've lived aboard a very long time. It's not an achievement, honor, challenge or credit. It's just the way that my wife and I have chosen to spend our lives.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 16:18   #649
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
wrong:


************************************************** *********

And therin lies the reason for the antipathy created in your conversations with others. You have created in your mind an image of being a professional cruiser and one in which you can solve the worlds problems by your 25 years as a cruiser and are not afraid to inform everyone of your status.

Nobody can take away the years you spent at a tiller. It is what you chose to do, and I for one applaud it.

However.

You present yourself in argumentation with a false humility. Even your name of Wrong, and then you proceed to right the whole boating world with your experience in a dogmatic way, non remitting and with continued prejudice against posters who disagree with you.

Im a doctor. It scares me sometimes the responsibilty of it. So much so that I and colleagues in our own time spend hours looking into new treatments and studying drugs and discard combinations of drugs based on the manufacturers own warnings. We look at certain illnesses and compare what used to be the treatment with the results with what is done today. When I see that old treatments yielded a 36% success rate, and new treatments yield an 85% success rate, I get the privilege of making the observed decision that the 25 year 'experienced' man could have changed his methodology 10 years ago but chose not to keep up with the times.

Secondly, I dont expect strangers to take my medical advice without a second or third opinion. Sometimes I push patients to talk with other consultants or I will, with their permission arrange a telephone or video call, in their presence to a specialist, and see what they have to offer. Just because I have a certain experience, it is not all encompassing or the total knowledge, it is just MY experience and one way of doing things.

There is a huge difference in presenting "facts" and presenting opinion. Even 'facts' if not researched are worse than an opinion because you are staking your actions and reputation on someone elses mal observation.

The final thing on the doctor theme. If I am sure of something, with facts and test results and disease knowledge and prognosis, I will present it to you as I have it. The choice of what to do is NOT MY DECISION. I have not given you an opinion, just the facts. If you choose to ignore the FACTS and my considered choice of treatment, I am not offended. I am not resentful. Time will bear out the reality of the diagnosis, and you can bet that I will also recommend to the patient other avenues to explore. I dont sit back and say, I have 30 years of experience, do what I say.

You consider yourself a cruiser. You consider yourself a man of the world. You offer opinions like we all do. Your not a politician or a government official and yet you have the answer to the Californian issue in the bay.

So much so that you doggedly hung in there raising the matter time and time again and in the process fell out with someone who is also a current cruiser who offers in the main sound researched advice on mechanical matters, because she is a qualified engineer.

Its an opinion you offer, not a fact.

To round off the whole matter, I have had a pilots licence for 42 years. I have a total of 3732 hours flying time. I dont consider it makes me a "Pilot" because it is not my vocation or employment. Its what I do for fun. My 16 hours of flight for last year were mainly catching up on safety practices and a recertification for an aircraft.

If I offer an opinion that is not researched or based on factual reality or even if it makes not a scrap of difference to the situation because Im not able to change it...... I will in due course have to hold my hand up and shout "Im an ARSE!!"

So I tend to make huge allowances for others because the reality is we are all ARSES, and sadly some other ARSE will be correct at some point and I will be wrong, and I have to swallow the reality that I was the bigger arse.

Other people will make the judgement as to whether Im a doctor of worth, My claiming to be a 30 year veteran means squat. It just means I did it.

Other people will make the judgement whether or not Im a good pilot or not, not that I have had a licence for 42 years from being a kid.

Other people will judge whether I am a good cruiser or not, actually the other day I got pulled up for a bad habit I have and got roundly ridiculed when it backfired on me........I had to put my hand up and say Im an ARSE! because my years of sailing counted for squat.

You dont get a get out of jail card here on CF for a claim you make. You get it for approval from your peers, and I dont include myself in that crowd because your 25 years of living and sailing and 2 circs, as you constantly tell us, are more than I can even dream of. But it counts for nothing if you dont have respect and need to demand it or point it out constantly.

I would much rather 'learn' from your experience. Just state it as it happened and stop beating up on us lesser mortals, some of whom are not as less as you think. (Except for me because I do lack experience)

On another note, I truly am sorry that your health is not as good as it could be. I mean that sincerely and with empathy. It will not stop me being an ARSE over your ARSENESS at times, but it will allow me to offer a genuine human offer of whatever help you need in terms of information or if I can suggest something for your consideration, please just PM me in confidence. Disagreements mean nothing where health is a concern. Id like to see you better so we can disagree some more without me feeling guilty over it.

And I feel an ARSE for writing this but hey.. I hold my hand up and admit it.
One you forgot. You're a long winded arse who has the propensity to take a general discussion and devolve it to the level of a personal affront.

'Less I forget you're a braggart too.

When it's appropriate, I like anyone else on this forum can reveal their experience, whether a doctor, pilot, engineer, cruiser or dog catcher.

And you are not the final sayer of what is or is not appropriate, repeated too often or in you're judgement condescending of others. By the way, if you want to see something condescending, read your last diatribe .
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 16:21   #650
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
There are no credentials, certifications, or documents to identify anyone as a liveaboard or a cruiser. It makes no difference if you've completed 2 or 27 half circumnavigations; lived on the boat for 3 days or 25 years. Actually, few people have any reason to be impressed or care. I've lived aboard a very long time. It's not an achievement, honor, challenge or credit. It's just the way that my wife and I have chosen to spend our lives.
You are of course only speaking for yourself, right?
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 16:25   #651
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,815
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
This is a fact: I anchor overnight on an average of once a year. Last time (earlier this month) was two nights on a flooded Delta "island."





I'm more of a marina-to-marina, eat-at-a-restaurant kind of guy.
Mark, I am impressed that you have the anchor dayshape on the bow. Nice!. Only the second one I've seen on the bay and delta. I really need to get some cardboard and black paint and make one.
__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 16:25   #652
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
One you forgot. You're a long winded arse who has the propensity to take a general discussion and devolve it to the level of a personal affront.

'Less I forget you're a braggart too.

When it's appropriate, I like anyone else on this forum can reveal their experience, whether a doctor, pilot, engineer, cruiser or dog catcher.

And you are not the final sayer of what is or is not appropriate, repeated too often or in you're judgement condescending of others. By the way, if you want to see something condescending, read your last diatribe .
Kewl. Im an Arse.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 16:30   #653
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,815
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Kewl. Im an Arse.
Don't forget "and a braggart", which is almost a privateer. Least in my book.

Well done sir!
__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 16:37   #654
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Don't forget "and a braggart", which is almost a privateer. Least in my book.

Well done sir!
Im sure it was long winded, I nodded off myself a couple of times writing it.

You know, the thing about being dead, is that you dont know you are dead. Its not a problem for you, only for others.

Its the same with stupid.

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 16:46   #655
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,416
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Mark, I am impressed that you have the anchor dayshape on the bow. Nice!. Only the second one I've seen on the bay and delta. I really need to get some cardboard and black paint and make one.



West Marine offers the dayshape for under 20 dollars.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 16:52   #656
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
You are of course only speaking for yourself, right?
Absolutely not! No one has any special credentials for their time living aboard or cruising. Those that expound more about their achievements seem to have less.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 17:00   #657
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Absolutely not! No one has any special credentials for their time living aboard or cruising. Those that expound more about their achievements seem to have less.
I have a certificate in dinghy sailing. Im proud of that. Got it when I was 12.
Same year Mary Towns dumped me for Alan Jenkins. B@%tard!
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 17:03   #658
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,416
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

Me thinks the gauntlet has been thrown down...
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 17:25   #659
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Im sure it was long winded, I nodded off myself a couple of times writing it.

You know, the thing about being dead, is that you dont know you are dead. Its not a problem for you, only for others.

Its the same with stupid.

No one would know better than you.
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 17:30   #660
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

So S.C.
Any plans to move on in the near future? Or are you hanging around for a while?
__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

Tags
liveaboard, wanted

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G'Day from the Whitsundays..& everywhere else really Bob Norson Meets & Greets 3 01-09-2016 01:02
Security systems to prevent unwanted boarders. pilotdave Off Topic Forum 39 18-04-2013 17:02
Unwanted Visitor gbendaly Off Topic Forum 33 07-09-2009 16:26
Unwanted Pet. Alan Wheeler Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 22 22-04-2007 05:59



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.