Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2015, 08:53   #631
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,138
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
It's more about your state of mind than anything else. If you behave like a cruiser, think like a cruiser and when communicating with others identify yourself as a cruiser - you're a cruiser.

You'll see folks wherever you hang on the hook or stay in a marina as hosts and you'll behave like a guest, learning about and respecting local rules and regulations. You're not an "in your face" kind of person always harping about your 'rights'. You don't 'aquire' a prime spot to anchor, deploy a multiple anchor type mooring and take up residency to the exclusion of all other boaters.

And finally, last but not least your experience living aboard and cruising should be credible. There should be evidence to support your claims.
Hmm.

Me thinks you have arrogated a title and description of a cruiser which is an ideal and exclusive to suit a choice made in your life.

Im a pilot. I have a licence. I dont fly commercial aircraft. Last year I completed less than 16 hours in total. I can still call myself a pilot. I dont as it happens, I just state that I have a pilots licence.

I sail and cruise boats. I dont live on one full time, but I cruise. That makes me a cruiser. I can still call myself a cruiser. I dont as it happens, I just state that I go sailing as much as I can.

You can call yourself a cruiser because you have cruised. A lot. However Im sure in the local Marina where you are situated they will refer to you as a liveaboard.

Why do you need to " have experience living aboard and cruising and should be credible. There should be evidence to support your claims."? What do you need to prove to me or others? Are you going to say something like "in my 25 years of cruising experience, this is how it is to be done"?

I work with people who profess a lifetimes experience, and yet all that I see is a lifetime of doing it wrong. Much prefer to converse with experienced persons who dont expect to be listened to because of a title, but because of experienced gleaned over years and it shows in every word and action. Many times I have talked to someone and not known their background but have recognised the wisdom of words and experience.

One time, when I was going through university, I used to play with band to pay my way. The keyboard player an older guy would work with me during rehearsals so we got it tight. A great keyboardist. About a year later, I was working on a song and could not get the chords just right. After an hour, B picked up a guitar and demonstrated to me how it should be and threw in some of the most amazing licks I had ever heard. I did not even know he could play the guitar. He never mentioned it. Later I found his life as a 60s 70s session musician had been as a guitarist and not as a keyboard player, and he actually was pretty famous. All he said was " I used to play guitar a bit."

My job is a medic. One day I will say, "I used to be a medic".

Titles suck.

Just enjoy what you do for as long as you can do it and then enjoy the memories.

I used to be married.
__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 08:55   #632
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Well, yeah. There are lots of 'issues' addressed in this thread, some of which have only a remote relationship with the primary subject matter asking whether or not liveaboards are disliked everywhere.

Some blame rich folks and others like to blame the government for the evolution of controls and restrictions on living aboard and or anchoring. Some say problems related to boats and their owners are exaggerated. Others complain the problems are serious and the government isn't doing enough.

Some justify, indeed advocate for the use of boats as 'low income' and indigent shelter as a response to unemployment and low pay. Others argue most are unemployed and or indigent because they're just not trying hard enough to find a job. Then there are people with criminal records or who have physical or mental disabilities that create an additional bar to getting a job or finding somewhere to live other than on a boat.

The list is endless. The solutions due to social, political, cultural and economic disparaties are not easy to find, let alone implement.

So, what does your comment about minimum wages have to do with the matter of whether or not liveaboards are disliked everywhere?
"Blame rich folks" lots of whom got that way by hard work and dedication..Lets corral all the rich,hard working and dedicated throw them in a camp and let the poor,disabled and uneducated people run things for a while then we will see no livaboards or boats or food production etc..Minimum wage is where one starts from there you build wealth or wallow in misery, just dont wallow in front of my house please if minimum wage is your choice..
__________________

__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 09:05   #633
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,883
pirate Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

SC: Just because I think I'm the queen of England, does not make it so. Though OK, I'm more the crazy cat lady type of cruiser.

Heh heh, SC, you are our Queen of the Delta.
__________________
Blue Crab is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 09:08   #634
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Poor behavior, such as "in your face" or "harping about rights", is not an indication of wether someone is a cruiser or liveaboard, but simply an indication of poor character.

I agree that the designation of cruiser or liveaboard is related to how one uses their boat.

Cruisers move about with their boats and do not return to their same dock or mooring after only daysails.
Liveaboards make use of their vessel as their home without a house or apartment ashore.
Many, like my wife and I, crusie about on our liveaboard vessel.

Sometimes I misbehave, but that doesn't affect my boating status as a liveaboard cruiser. It just makes me a crumugeon/liveaboard/cruiser!

Oh, I forgot income! Wealth or the lack doesn't make one a liveaboard or a cruiser either. We don't have a lot of money, but enough so that we don't need to have jobs.

Therefore, we are leisure class/crumugeon/liveaboard/cruisiers

..... we lean to the left politically, so we are LCLCLs: leisure class/crumugeon/liveaboard/cruiser/liberals

Wait, there's more!
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 09:49   #635
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,138
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Poor behavior, such as "in your face" or "harping about rights", is not an indication of wether someone is a cruiser or liveaboard, but simply an indication of poor character.

I agree that the designation of cruiser or liveaboard is related to how one uses their boat.

Cruisers move about with their boats and do not return to their same dock or mooring after only daysails.
Liveaboards make use of their vessel as their home without a house or apartment ashore.
Many, like my wife and I, crusie about on our liveaboard vessel.

Sometimes I misbehave, but that doesn't affect my boating status as a liveaboard cruiser. It just makes me a crumugeon/liveaboard/cruiser!

Oh, I forgot income! Wealth or the lack doesn't make one a liveaboard or a cruiser either. We don't have a lot of money, but enough so that we don't need to have jobs.

Therefore, we are leisure class/crumugeon/liveaboard/cruisiers

..... we lean to the left politically, so we are LCLCLs: leisure class/crumugeon/liveaboard/cruiser/liberals

Wait, there's more!
I was absolutely fine till the personal information regarding leaning to the left! Both of you!

It always is a difficult when concentrating on the terminology of my day job, which is similar to your expressions, to switch into a different understanding. Yes you wrote politically, but my attention deviated before reading it.

Im so glad I re read your post and cleared it up.......

There was worry for a minute
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 10:08   #636
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,883
pirate Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
...

Sometimes I misbehave, but that doesn't affect my boating status as a liveaboard cruiser. It just makes me a crumugeon/liveaboard/cruiser!

Therefore, we are leisure class/crumugeon/liveaboard/cruisiers

..... we lean to the left politically, so we are LCLCLs: leisure class/crumugeon/liveaboard/cruiser/liberals

...

I'm trying to discern whether you meant Cro Magnon or just don't use spellchecker.


__________________
Blue Crab is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 10:10   #637
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,138
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I'm trying to discern whether you meant Cro Magnon or just don't use spellchecker.


curmudgeon
Bad tempered old fart.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 10:11   #638
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Liveaboards are not unwanted...
Bums and people who don't have manners are unwanted. And if you can't figure out the difference without ranting about it on the internet then you could be part of today's societal problem yourself.
__________________
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 10:12   #639
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,138
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Liveaboards are not unwanted...
Bums and people who don't have manners are unwanted. And if you can't figure out the difference without ranting about it on the internet then you could be part of today's societal problem yourself.
I was going to write: YOU GO RICH!!! Yaaay!!

but I decided not to.

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 10:22   #640
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,883
pirate Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
curmudgeon
Bad tempered old fart.


Ah ...... duh.
__________________
Blue Crab is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 10:27   #641
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,883
pirate Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Liveaboards are not unwanted...
Bums and people who don't have manners are unwanted. And if you can't figure out the difference without ranting about it on the internet then you could be part of today's societal problem yourself.
Yepper. How many thousands of threads/posts does it take to make that simple point? Plus, we are the choir. The bums/derelicts likely don't bother with wifi, and the one or two that might would be on the not nice forum.
__________________
Blue Crab is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 11:53   #642
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

No spelceck? 'guildty as chargged!
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 12:42   #643
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Posts: 1,854
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
...crumugeon...
Is that the "American English" spelling?





S/V B'Shert
__________________
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 12:51   #644
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Hmm.

Me thinks you have arrogated a title and description of a cruiser which is an ideal and exclusive to suit a choice made in your life.
"arrogate"


a :to claim or seize without justification

I can't say whether or not you or anyone else is justified in claiming to be a cruiser, but after completing the better part of two global circumnavigations while living aboard the entire time (25 years) I've owned the boat justifies my claiming the moniker of 'cruiser' and liveaboard. Do you deny this satisfies my comment; "And finally, last but not least your experience living aboard and cruising should be credible. There should be evidence to support your claims."

Quote:
Im a pilot. I have a licence. I dont fly commercial aircraft. Last year I completed less than 16 hours in total. I can still call myself a pilot. I dont as it happens, I just state that I have a pilots licence.
So? In your judgement the level of experience you've attained does not entitle you to claiming you're a pilot. Your call.

Quote:
I sail and cruise boats. I dont live on one full time, but I cruise. That makes me a cruiser. I can still call myself a cruiser. I dont as it happens, I just state that I go sailing as much as I can.
Again, your choice.

Quote:
You can call yourself a cruiser because you have cruised. A lot. However Im sure in the local Marina where you are situated they will refer to you as a liveaboard.
Irrelevant. It makes no difference to me what they call me, and that may very well change if ever I'm asked about my sailing experiences.

Quote:
Why do you need to " have experience living aboard and cruising and should be credible. There should be evidence to support your claims."? What do you need to prove to me or others? Are you going to say something like "in my 25 years of cruising experience, this is how it is to be done"?
You've couched the above comment in such a way as to suggest I am telling someone else what to say. I can only speak for myself.

Quote:
I work with people who profess a lifetimes experience, and yet all that I see is a lifetime of doing it wrong. Much prefer to converse with experienced persons who dont expect to be listened to because of a title, but because of experienced gleaned over years and it shows in every word and action. Many times I have talked to someone and not known their background but have recognised the wisdom of words and experience.
Good for you. But I wonder where you get off deciding whether or not people are doing it right? Doubletalk...

Quote:
One time, when I was going through university, I used to play with band to pay my way. The keyboard player an older guy would work with me during rehearsals so we got it tight. A great keyboardist. About a year later, I was working on a song and could not get the chords just right. After an hour, B picked up a guitar and demonstrated to me how it should be and threw in some of the most amazing licks I had ever heard. I did not even know he could play the guitar. He never mentioned it. Later I found his life as a 60s 70s session musician had been as a guitarist and not as a keyboard player, and he actually was pretty famous. All he said was " I used to play guitar a bit."
Your point as to how this relates to whether or not a person can identify themselves as a cruiser and or liveaboard?

Quote:
My job is a medic. One day I will say, "I used to be a medic".
And I will say although I have not cruised for many years my experience entitles me to still identifying myself as a cruiser. It's a state of mind...

Quote:
Titles suck.

Just enjoy what you do for as long as you can do it and then enjoy the memories.
Quote:
I used to be married.
In a sense I can see why...

[/quote]
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-07-2015, 13:06   #645
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,416
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

This is a fact: I anchor overnight on an average of once a year. Last time (earlier this month) was two nights on a flooded Delta "island."





I'm more of a marina-to-marina, eat-at-a-restaurant kind of guy.
__________________

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

Tags
liveaboard, wanted

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G'Day from the Whitsundays..& everywhere else really Bob Norson Meets & Greets 3 01-09-2016 01:02
Security systems to prevent unwanted boarders. pilotdave Off Topic Forum 39 18-04-2013 17:02
Unwanted Visitor gbendaly Off Topic Forum 33 07-09-2009 16:26
Unwanted Pet. Alan Wheeler Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 22 22-04-2007 05:59



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.