Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-07-2015, 09:48   #616

Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Good morning or afternoon to you too weavis.

Besides as Wrong said, we're cruisers not liveaboards.....

Yeppers that would be Anal......
There ya go again. When did I ever say I'm a cruiser who doesn't liveaboard?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:54   #617

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Gee was I even talking to or about you. I don't think so.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:08   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Gee was I even talking to or about you. I don't think so.
When you attribute something I allegedly said to me, Wrong, you're talking about me.

Sheesh!
Old 06-07-2015, 10:14   #619

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
When you attribute something I allegedly said to me, Wrong, you're talking about me.
I guess Weavis was right.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:15   #620

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

In Newport Beach CA, the county manages the moorings and agreements for live aboard. Inspection for holding tanks and dye pills inserted to spot offenders and annual inspections of the approved moorings. The charges are about $1,000 a year for the mooring inspection and another $1,000 for rent per year plus an additional live aboard fee. $250 a month for a 40' boat here is a bargain. There are maintained dinghy docks. The sheriffs department, however , will remind you in a moments notice that you are being watched and any funny business is handled immediately and forcibly.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:20   #621

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
In Newport Beach CA, the county manages the moorings and agreements for live aboard. Inspection for holding tanks and dye pills inserted to spot offenders and annual inspections of the approved moorings. The charges are about $1,000 a year for the mooring inspection and another $1,000 for rent per year plus an additional live aboard fee. $250 a month for a 40' boat here is a bargain. There are maintained dinghy docks. The sheriffs department, however , will remind you in a moments notice that you are being watched and any funny business is handled immediately and forcibly.
Is anchoring permitted? If so, are there controls there? Fees?
Old 06-07-2015, 10:29   #622

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Although I agree that most boats in the marina seldom move, those boats pay rent. It may be a waste of money, but that's the owners problem. As a marina live-aboard, I pay for a slip, water, showers, laundry facilities, and clean toilets.

My state registration fee pays for pump-out stations, ramps, and public docks. But these facilities are intended for all of the people. The Forest Service requires campers to move after 14 days. I think it is perfectly legit to require moored or anchored boats to move every 14 days. If people abandon their boat without paying for a slip or moorage, it should be impounded and sold or recycled. If the migrant live-aboards, pay their state registration fees, move their boat occasionally, and don't violate state, Coast Guard, or environmental protection laws... they have the right to cruise and be left alone.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:30   #623

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

While anchoring is permitted it is regulated to three days maximum and then you have to leave for 30 days before returning. There is a breed of hearty anchorers here known as "Harbor Hoppers". They start up the coast and end up in San Diego bay stopping for 3 days at a time in 10 harbors. Having been out of the first harbor for 30 days they can return and repeat the cycle. Arduous but they pay zero and are totally legal. BTW:The three day maximum is extended anytime there are small craft warnings or impending storms.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:48   #624

Quote:
Whoa! Please. Now you're getting into an argument over the difference in definition between a cruiser and a liveaboard. Sheez.

Not only have we had THAT one out many times, but it seems you both do the same things: live on your boats and cruise around. You may have a slip, she's at anchor. Big deal.

C'mon. What's so hard?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 11:25   #625

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Although I agree that most boats in the marina seldom move, those boats pay rent. It may be a waste of money, but that's the owners problem. As a marina live-aboard, I pay for a slip, water, showers, laundry facilities, and clean toilets.

My state registration fee pays for pump-out stations, ramps, and public docks. But these facilities are intended for all of the people. The Forest Service requires campers to move after 14 days. I think it is perfectly legit to require moored or anchored boats to move every 14 days. If people abandon their boat without paying for a slip or moorage, it should be impounded and sold or recycled. If the migrant live-aboards, pay their state registration fees, move their boat occasionally, and don't violate state, Coast Guard, or environmental protection laws... they have the right to cruise and be left alone.
Myself, I would be totallly fine with a 14 day rule to up anchor and move about. Thogh some folks that work on land but live at anchor would have issues with that. Still it seems fair enough.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:33   #626

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
BTW:The three day maximum is extended anytime there are small craft warnings or impending storms.
Ah there's a difference between northern California and southern California. Here in the north, most days have small craft warnings. Well just in the winter, spring and summer. Fall is not so bad for September and October.

Generally there might a day or two a week that are not small craft advisorys. In the last week there was one day that was not blowing like snot, that I recall anyway.

Makes for good sailing though.
Old 06-07-2015, 14:25   #627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Whoa! Please. Now you're getting into an argument over the difference in definition between a cruiser and a liveaboard. Sheez.

Not only have we had THAT one out many times, but it seems you both do the same things: live on your boats and cruise around. You may have a slip, she's at anchor. Big deal.

C'mon. What's so hard?
No slip. Haven't used marinas except for when there was no attractive, safe alternative. Out of the 25 years I've lived aboard, 23 have been on the hook. I choose to rent a port mooring because of the congested, unsafe situation that prevails here in Sausalito. I've addressed this in detail elsewhere, so won't repeat here. Besides it would attract the usual claims it just ain't so from the usual suspect...

A double whammy recent medical diagnosis most likely means I'll never sail again, but that won't change the fact I'm a cruiser for as long as I have left to live... And I'll continue living aboard for as long as I'm physically able.
Old 12-07-2015, 17:44   #628

Boat: Cal Mark lll 34

If you cruise and live aboard your boat 6---9 months whats the diff
Old 13-07-2015, 08:00   #629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Rouse View Post
If you cruise and live aboard your boat 6---9 months whats the diff
It's more about your state of mind than anything else. If you behave like a cruiser, think like a cruiser and when communicating with others identify yourself as a cruiser - you're a cruiser.

You'll see folks wherever you hang on the hook or stay in a marina as hosts and you'll behave like a guest, learning about and respecting local rules and regulations. You're not an "in your face" kind of person always harping about your 'rights'. You don't 'aquire' a prime spot to anchor, deploy a multiple anchor type mooring and take up residency to the exclusion of all other boaters.

And finally, last but not least your experience living aboard and cruising should be credible. There should be evidence to support your claims.
Old 13-07-2015, 08:47   #630

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's more about your state of mind than anything else. If you behave like a cruiser, think like a cruiser and when communicating with others identify yourself as a cruiser - you're a cruiser.
I'm not so sure its just a state of mind. It would seem that it would help though, if you have a boat and take it cruising every now and then. Rather then say, live on a mooring ball close to stores and coffee houses.

Myself, I look at it a bit different, If you don't have a landside dwelling and live on a boat, then you liveaboard . You can have a landside dwelling and still liveaboard a boat too. If you take the boat out going from point a to point b, then your a cruiser. If you do both then your a liveaboard cruiser. Our actions define who we are. Just because I think I'm the queen of England, does not make it so. Though OK, I'm more the crazy cat lady type of cruiser.

Tags
liveaboard, wanted

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: