Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-07-2015, 15:19   #526
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Lol. Take a chill pill Ken.

As long as what the person is doing is legal, your objections mean Jack. No seriously, I mean it. The government choose this way of dealing with the problem, and how the people choose to live is............ their concern.

Moral indignation is usually based around money, and from people with money.

I have no answers to the situation. If I had less money, I may choose to live on a boat and still be happy.

If I had no money, I may choose to live on a boat and try to survive. I may be ground down by life and by the real thieves of the world who run the money system, and I might lose interest in doing things that people with pride and hope have.

People are people. Some are better than others. Some have no intention of doing anything. A few of my neighbours are like that.

You cannot walk in any town in the UK and fail to miss the volume of 16 year old mothers pushing prams who will never work in their lives and yet have money from the State.

You should be grateful that you have the ability to work mentally and physically and strived to achieve something. But for goodness sake dont lump everyone together and collectively look down on them.

Richard Branson head of Virgin admits he stole money to get started. That makes him no different to anyone else. He is admired as being a great businessman instead of a thief. But without thieving, he would have been nothing.

What a weird world when people are the most expendable commodity and money comes first.
Gary,

Judging by what you've written here, you probably have never been robbed, assaulted or fired upon by any of the problem people in your neighborhood when their welfare money didn't last till the next reload day and they were unable to buy heroin.

We have... It changes a person. 'Nuff said. Time to check out of this topic. Bye bye.

Old 01-07-2015, 15:36   #527

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm smarter than my $20 dollar phone.

I pay $185/year registration (tax) for my boat.

I've lived in the US for my 68 years, but the only crime I've witnessed was a man pullling a wallet from another's back pocket in Barcelona.

The only time I ever had a gun pointed at me was in Franco's Spain.

I'm pleased that people can have little money and live on a boat in the US.

I've enjoyed cruising in Europe, Australia and New Zealand, but I'm most comfortable in my "home" cruising area in the Southeast US.

I understand that people haven't shared my experiences, but I respect their views.

I likely stand to the left of Sailorchic's political position, but I can listen to Tea Party people respectfully.

'sure do like a good sunset on the beach!

Old 01-07-2015, 15:42   #528

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Gary,

Judging by what you've written here, you probably have never been robbed, assaulted or fired upon by any of the problem people in your neighborhood when their welfare money didn't last till the next reload day and they were unable to buy heroin.
Lol.......... you would be.......incorrect.

I walk cautiously but dont judge all people with no money as drug addicts or dangerous. You have to deal accordingly with what individuals dish out. You learn who to watch out for and who is ok. The appropriate retribution from time to time is gifted back to those that are not ok.........

I work in the community and the community helps. Without that, I would not be here for one second. There are a lot of low income people in this community and they are wonderful people.

Why do you stay where you are with the problems? If its property or money keeping you there then I guess the price is putting up with the poor neighbours.

I read this just now and laughed:

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — An Indianapolis group that says the Religious Freedom Restoration Act gives them the legal right to smoke marijuana held its first church service on Wednesday.

Leaders at the newly formed First Church of Cannabis say there would be no smoking at Wednesday’s service, which got underway at 12:01 p.m.

Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said he would take legal action against any church member caught using marijuana.

The world is a crazy place.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2015, 15:45   #529

Liveaboards:

Prepare to be assimilated.
Old 01-07-2015, 15:52   #530

Boat: Various

Quote:
Gary,

We have... It changes a person. 'Nuff said. Time to check out of this topic. Bye bye.
But you're attacking a whole group. I'm just wondering did all those on welfare rob you? Or just one or two? What were all the others doing? Is it possible some were doing nothing wrong, just trying to take care of their kids and survive? That's the problem when one starts labeling and stereotyping.

If one gets robbed by a brunette, then does it make them angry at all brunettes?

Every situation of life I know has many who arrived there by different means. Several here have used dishonest businessmen as an indication all are dishonest. My wife and I both take exception to that. But it's no different than broad statements regarding everyone who receives government assistance. Do you toss in the girl who was raped and kept her baby and has no one to help her and no job skills?

Are all blondes dumb because you met one who was? My wife certainly isn't.

One problem we all have is that we see groups of people in ways based on experiences with an extremely small portion of that group. If you really want to know then perhaps it would help to meet some. Talk to a heroin addict in recovery sometime. Serve lunch at a food shelter where the homeless eat and find out how they ended up there. What about the man whose wife died when his son was young, the man raised his son alone, at the age of 22 the son committed suicide and the father blamed himself, started drinking and lost everything including the will to live?

None of us are groups. We are individuals within many groups. We are all unique. We are all humans.
Old 01-07-2015, 15:56   #531

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

If one gets robbed by a brunette, then does it make them angry at all brunettes?
Ummm...... I was with you all the way until here......... now Im conflicted.. I will work on it........

Old 01-07-2015, 16:09   #532

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The trick I think is to be happy with what you have and to just enjoy all that life brings you.
Message on a church marquee.

"Happiness is an inside job"

Might make that my signature line. Or you can have it. Whatever makes you happy.
Old 01-07-2015, 19:12   #533

Quote:
Correct!. I never pick up a mooring. I've not yet dragged in a storm. Probably more luck and having an oversized anchor and all chain.
So, you see the bloody illegal moorings would be uneccessary if your anchor out friends had, and knew how to use proper ground tackle. But then the diver wouldn't have made any bucks, eh?
Old 01-07-2015, 19:39   #534

It amazes me how liveaboard conversations always devolve into some form of argument about us & them.

In Sausalito the problem is not who's on the boats. It's the boats! The unattended, abandoned, derelict, stored and spec boats obtained solely for resale by folks who won't transfer title to themselves, leaving them unclaimed rather than taking responsibility for them.

RBRA plans will hopefully resolve the boat problem. What folks on the boats choose to do, move onto planned new moorings or anchor is their call. In either case though, they'll have to obtain a permit and pass inspection if staying more than 72 hours. Those who anchor will have to have a minimum of chain to achieve a 5/1 scope, suitably sized primary and secondary anchor. Re-anchoring every 15 days will be required.

Easy for those who cooperate with meeting the requirements. The others? Not so...
Old 01-07-2015, 20:14   #535

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
In either case though, they'll have to obtain a permit and pass inspection if staying more than 72 hours. .
Interesting, the 72 hour thingy is not a new think at all, There has been a 72 hour limit in Richardson bay for 10 years or more. Be interesting to see if it's enforced any better then before. I stayed there several times more then 72 hours, once for 5-6 days and no one came around. I know, there I go disrespecting the laws again. What can I say, I'm just bad.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:54   #536

Quote:
Interesting, the 72 hour thingy is not a new think at all, There has been a 72 hour limit in Richardson bay for 10 years or more. Be interesting to see if it's enforced any better then before. I stayed there several times more then 72 hours, once for 5-6 days and no one came around. I know, there I go disrespecting the laws again. What can I say, I'm just bad.
Yep, one thing we are good at in this country is thinking up and passing new laws, to fix every ill and slight in society. But, adding police, prosecutors and judges to enforce them, never seems to occur to anyone.

It's like deciding you are going to go another 500 miles in your car, but you aren't going to put any more gas in.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:42   #537
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Lol.......... There are a lot of low income people in this community and they are wonderful people.

Why do you stay where you are with the problems? If its property or money keeping you there then I guess the price is putting up with the poor neighbours.

Yep, there are some truly awesome neighbors here in Whoville, they're a real asset to our community. "Wonderful people."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	104531  
Old 02-07-2015, 06:44   #538

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yep, there are some truly awesome neighbors here in Whoville, they're a real asset to our community. "Wonderful people."
Awesome beard!

Old 02-07-2015, 08:59   #539

Quote:
Lack of sufficient funding for enforcement IS the reason local Sausalito ordinances have been so much fluff. Do you even know there is an ordinance prohibiting living aboard in both designated anchorages? Imagine if there was an attempt to determine who was living aboard. Laughable. Such a rule is simply unenforceable outside a marina where people's coming and going can be monitored.

If BCDC can be persuaded to support a liveaboard requirement, the matter of unnatended, stored, derelict and boats acquired for the sole purpose of resale takes care of itself.

Funding in the favoured RBRA plan includes a big increase for enforcement.

Might be cheaper though to just borrow the San Diego boat police for a couple of days...
Old 02-07-2015, 09:07   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

1 Lack of sufficient funding for enforcement IS the reason

2 Might be cheaper though to just borrow the San Diego boat police for a couple of days...
1 Hmm, I wonder where that lack of funding came from. Tax breaks for the 1% and corporations?

2 Good one. (I did "get" the emoticon! ) That'd sure solve the problem quickly, although maybe not so painlessly. Judge jury and executioner all rolled up into one.

For those knocking welfare and why some choose to use it, have you ever considered the same politicians who have given us #1 above haven't raised the minimum wage in like forever? Ya think folks who figure out that working at MacDonalds is worse than getting a welfare check can't do math?

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
liveaboard, wanted

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: