Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 10:06   #256

Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The closest I've had to a problem with "law enforcement" in the past 7 years is while at anchor the harbormaster swinging by and asking if I needed anything.

I think the law enforcement"problem" is very greatly overblown.
Think so? You may need to leave your harbour some time. Move around the country, explore her bays and bayous, and of course anchor often. I expect given enough time your view will change.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2015, 10:37   #257

#1 Liveaboard, #2 Yachtsman. Any questions?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2015, 10:45   #258
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
not by me
Old 04-01-2015, 10:58   #259
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Looks like I've got to get me some underwater LED lights.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2015, 11:04   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
In order to better align myself with you and garrobito, I should state that I understand the complaint with a subset of liveaboards that use boats as a means of low income housing.

My experiences are not in California, but in Florida where there has been an attempt to distinguish the rights of "liveaboards" and "cruisers" with legislation. Although I lament the negative connotation assigned to the term liveaboard, as the State of Florida defines them, as boats that are not underway occasionally and capable of navigation. Making this distinction will cause some that are marginally falling into the definition of one group to be subject to the restrictions and rights set upon the other group.

In earlier posts I have expressed a strong opinion that those living on boats should not be discriminated against because of the value of their boats, their ownership of real estate ashore or their wealth. On the other hand, I agree that those living on boats should be charged with obeying laws regulating overboard discharge, trespassing, mooring regulations and boating safety.
I agree. The only problem is when people try and change the law, with the sole, if not admitted, goal of moving lower income people to an area where those of higher income, don't have to look at them and be offended by their sight.

There are always going to be people of lesser means among us, and there are always going to be those who try and shoo them away, out of sight.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:11   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I agree. The only problem is when people try and change the law, with the sole, if not admitted, goal of moving lower income people to an area where those of higher income, don't have to look at them and be offended by their sight.

There are always going to be people of lesser means among us, and there are always going to be those who try and shoo them away, out of sight.
Somehow we've got to get away from the 'them' & 'us' argument and focus on equal access and use issues. Whether your iconic boater is low income or rich, neither has the right to exclusive use of public waterways and anchorages.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:14   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Think so? You may need to leave your harbour some time. Move around the country, explore her bays and bayous, and of course anchor often. I expect given enough time your view will change.

Didn't think about it at the time. Did you ever suspect the harbour master was actually performing the preliminary stage in an investigation? Getting a closer look at you and your boat?

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:16   #263

Quote:
Question:

How about the liveaboard-cruiser-yachtsman?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:17   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Looks like I've got to get me some underwater LED lights.
Yep. Pink.
Old 04-01-2015, 13:11   #265
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The closest I've had to a problem with "law enforcement" in the past 7 years is while at anchor the harbormaster swinging by and asking if I needed anything.

I think the law enforcement"problem" is very greatly overblown.
I tend to agree, but then maybe it's a greater problem in California. Florida has received a lot of discussion about law enforcement officers harassing anchored boats, but I've never been questioned or approched with any comment. I've anchored as long as three months at a time in one place, but more often just for a day or two and this has been in hundreds of locations from Maine to South Florida over 43 years.

Why have I never had an encounter with any official regarding my anchoring? .... Chance, appearance, compliance, location? I don't know, but I've never had a problem and I've never witnessed a problem with harassment of anchored boats by authorities.
Old 04-01-2015, 14:12   #266
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

While not having to do with boating directly, look up the number of inprisioned people in the US compared with the rest of the world.
Something is going on, I do believe our society is over policed to include our boating activities, there are many many more water police now and many different agencies. I haven't had a problem as I've always been within the law, but I've met more water cops this year than in years past

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2015, 14:18   #267
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Hudson,
I believe we just don't fit the profile is why we haven't been bothered.
Try driving around any upscale neighborhood in an old not well kept car and see if you get any attention from the law, Now same guy driving around the same neighborhood in a new BMW, just the way it is.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2015, 15:23   #268

Quote:

As a young man fifty years ago, I would head out into the Everglades, camping on bits of dry land hammocks, without a concern for not seeing other people for days. Now, young people are appalled that I dare to drive away from my home without a cell phone.

It's true, cruisers used to sail about for long periods of time anchoring in wilderness areas with a sense of freedom and entitlement. Many still do and many still expect this entitlement to anchor in public waterways in developed areas. Presently, it's still possible to drive on public highways and park your car in most areas without a fee. This is not related to parking in someone's driveway or tying to a private dock.

I think you are confused about the issue. You are talking about finding an out of the way rural location where no one is competing for the space. Odds are no one will hassle you if you do so and nothing in this thread has suggested it will be an issue.

The people getting hassled are essentially parking in someones front yard . In a similar vien, if you park your RV out in the wilderness, you will most often be left alone (quite common especially out west), park your RV and set up home for a couple months on the side of a subdivision street and odds are the neighbors have the authorities move you along.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2015, 16:04   #269
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I think you are confused about the issue. You are talking about finding an out of the way rural location where no one is competing for the space. Odds are no one will hassle you if you do so and nothing in this thread has suggested it will be an issue.

The people getting hassled are essentially parking in someones front yard . In a similar vien, if you park your RV out in the wilderness, you will most often be left alone (quite common especially out west), park your RV and set up home for a couple months on the side of a subdivision street and odds are the neighbors have the authorities move you along.
I understand you point and it is true that I would prefer to anchor in wilderness places; however, I do anchor at the head of the creek in Mattituck, New York, around the homes at the "back passage" into St. Michaels, MD, at the head of the Metedeconk at Brick, New Jersey, off the homes at Senic Point at Orange Park, Florida, in the canals at Palm Coast, Florida, Hobe Sound, Florida, Lake Sylvia in Fort Lauderdale.... and more. My three months stay was at Key Largo's Sunset Cove. I like wilderness anchorages, but that's not exclusive.
Old 04-01-2015, 16:19   #270

Quote:
I understand you point and it is true that I would prefer to anchor in wilderness places; however, I do anchor at the head of the creek in Mattituck, New York, around the homes at the "back passage" into St. Michaels, MD, at the head of the Metedeconk at Brick, New Jersey, off the homes at Senic Point at Orange Park, Florida, in the canals at Palm Coast, Florida, Hobe Sound, Florida, Lake Sylvia in Fort Lauderdale.... and more. My three months stay was at Key Largo's Sunset Cove. I like wilderness anchorages, but that's not exclusive.
Sure and if you park your RV for the afternoon on a subdivision street, the locals might keep an eye on you but are unlikely to take issue. Park overnight in a parking lot and most places won't have an issue with it (some do but it's a very similar situation where people have abused the situation in the past)

It's when you overstay your welcome in built up areas, that you get push back. Most places won't have an issue if you anchor for an evening or three and I've seen no one on this thread against that. It's the folks to take up residence for months on end even when it's clearly time to move on that gives liveaboards a bad name and why cruisers try to differentiate themselves from liveaboards.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
liveaboard, wanted