Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 14:18   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Sorry, I meant "you" in the reference to liveaboards in general, not you as an individual. ........
Ah, my mistake that comes with living in the "South" of the US. We tend to distinguish the larger group as "you'all".

I, too, do not experience the negative responses toward liveaboards. I think this is because I'm often moving, keeping a neat appearance, I rather not anchor close to homes or developed areas, and I'm not looking for much in the way of shore access.
Old 01-05-2014, 14:22   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Is the Liveaboard attitude peculiar to the West?

How are Cruisers viewed in other countries when they stay anchored out for weeks or months at a time in view of marinas and harbours etc? After all a lot of the CFrs do this......
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 14:33   #138

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Kinda making the point that we see the world through out our particular vision and set of rules that we gathered from life experience and our parents.

Kinda making the point that when we see something, we only view it from the viewpoint that our set of circumstances dictate, and that we think OTHERS firstly know how we are viewing and secondly they are reacting directly against our internal viewpoint and breaking our internal rules.

For many the viewpoint is that liveaboards are dirty disgusting bottom feeders, and when a report is in the paper about removal of liveaboards, they cheer.

Sad to find out later that the reason for removal of a $500k yacht in immaculate order was because of a greasy illegal deal to turn a free area into a profit making area for two political scumbags.

I still maintain that the problem is not confined to the single area of bad neighbours. Its a mix of that along with overcrowding, fear, selfishness and just plain greed and profiteering.

Fixing the problem that will depend on whether or not we overcome our prejudices and set of internal rules for accepting each case on its own merits.

This thread confirms it. Most are saying, not all.."ITs the freeloaders!! but not you Miss X or you Captain Y....... your not like that!" But they still will receive the same result because of that faulty internal rule guided law.

Internal rules and prejudice........we all have them
I think your views are as biased as the the people you point your finger at.
who said...."For many the viewpoint is that liveaboards are dirty disgusting bottom feeders, and when a report is in the paper about removal of liveaboards, they cheer". Not for many at all. The main point folks are trying to make is, a) 1 bad apple ruins it for the rest.
b) We do it to ourselves when we do not self-police. c) Anchorages are taken away when we lack responsibility by claiming we're free and should never pay taxes and d) If a group does not organize, they do not have a voice.
Again...we do it to ourselves.
On one side of the coin you want to make claims of how we should never judge, then on the other, you group people who don't agree with your view point of conditioned mindless idiots based in thinking from parents and society.

"Sad to find out later that the reason for removal of a $500k yacht in immaculate order was because of a greasy illegal deal to turn a free area into a profit making area for two political scumbags".
Did I miss something in the news? A $500k yacht was removed for what?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 14:41   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Our world is lots of things but definitely not beige....

And that is the one caution to not assume that other world that other people live in is the same as it was for you. And for those of us living in what you've referred to as the beige world, we shouldn't assume things in your world are as we would imagine them.

People can live very different lives in seemingly the same world or circumstances.

Our lives are far from conventional. My hubby's world was quite the conventional businessman, but that was before me.
I think everyone needs to find what works for them. If the way they're living isn't working, don't accept that, strive to change it. And at the same time we all need to respect that others choose to live differently. Our feeling is if it doesn't hurt us or others we don't care how anyone chooses to live.

It sounds to us like you have a very good life, Sailorchic. It works for you. You're happy. That's what matters. Could I be? If I was with my hubby I could be, but it wouldn't be my first choice. But I could certainly adapt to it easier than wearing business attire and sitting in an office all the time. Or living somewhere there was no water. Still, we have very close friends who will never get on a boat. But they're very happy people. Oh, and from what we know of you, their are aspects of our lives as much as we enjoy them, I feel certain you would not enjoy. Aspects of yours I wouldn't. Nothing wrong with either.

People tend to develop mental images of groups of other people and that's a prejudice my hubby and I try to avoid. Each person is different. And those type prejudices are the ones that end up being just as harmful as the illegal ones. If someone on land thinks all liveaboards are bad, then they're wrong. If a liveaboard thinks all those living in the houses by the water are bad, then they're also wrong. Working together all should be happy. Unfortunately, not as much working together as their should be.
Ahoy WifieB. I actually think we're on close to the same page which considering we stand at pretty much opposite ends of the social/economical conventions is pretty darn good. I for one am happy to see anyone enjoying what they do, Be it a street performer, doctor, lawyer, etc. I know lots of folks are quite happy living the life of the american consumer and there is nothing wrong with that. By beige I mainly mean places where all the houses are but a few shades of beige and generally only a handfull of styles

Lots of people enjoy living in neighborhoods like that. Alas I've always wanted to paint with a wide set of colors. Its not that beige is bad, nor are the folks that enjoy that. It's just not me. Enjoy hearing about your exploits and insights you bring to CF.

As I posted else where, I am not one for crowds. I do realize that I'm the one standing at the far end of the bell curve far from nominal. I expect most will not be happy with the life I live, Yet I do enjoy it so. Being a free spirit hippy chick or lordy perhaps a sea hag is not at all a life most would want.

I sometimes pondering returning to engineering. But in my later years, I think I would give up too much freedom to work for a big city engineering firm again. The money was great. But the work environment is not want it was 30 years ago. I find that I enjoy the simple low stress life far better.

To everyone:
I actually agree that the trashy boats do need to be cleaned up. No question there. But least where Richardson Bay is concerned, more then 1/2 the boats, gee maybe 70-75 percent are not trashy. That is no bags O trash or bear cans, etc on the boats. Yes 10% or more are trash heaps. But its a small number, compaired to the total anchor out population. They may have older boats, the paint may not shine. Some even have hot pink accents (least when my boat is there, which is not often). But most are pretty clean.

I keep hearing how its those pesky trashy anchor outs that the problem, But my experience is most are pretty clean and the people on them just people. Yet all the boats get lumped into "those anchor out trash.

In Utah, they are putting the homeless into homes and apartments, paid by the state. Utah is finding its actually cheaper to house the homeless then to treat the homeless conventionally, once police, HHS, park maintenance, etc. is factored in. So they are quickly running out of homeless. Nicely done.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 14:44   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I think someone has a lot of time on their hands
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 14:51   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I may have time on my hands but I have just spent a bloody big amount of it on reading this thread. Certain posts have been removed and several others have had to be removed because they responded to it.

If you lost yours in the clean up then sorry. Be aware that political and religious rants are not permitted on this forum. Discuss the issue, which is an important one, by all means, but leave the snarkiness and oh so clever jibes in the box, or henhouse.

Coops.
Old 01-05-2014, 14:53   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I think someone has a lot of time on their hands
You know I stay pretty busy, not doing a heck of a lot. Its hard work being this idle. But someone has to do it. I'm suffering for you all......
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 15:06   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I think your views are as biased as the the people you point your finger at.
Well, OK.

If you believe that the problem for liveaboards is solely based on the actions of a few, then you know the problem. If the problem continues after fixing it, it never was the problem in the first place.

I personally do not see it as the problem as much as commercial and other interests, but its a good place to start getting people moved on..

This obviously is a subject that affects all cruisers. Spend a fortune on a boat, spend years fixing it and then cant go anywhere except in high priced marinas and berth arrangements?

If I have been unable to communicate clearly what was intended to be said, then the fault is mine and I accept that and apologize for the failure.

I do know boating is getting more and more expensive, and its squeezing a lot of people out of being able to enjoy the water through legislation and mandatory requirements.

This is not a coincidence.
Old 01-05-2014, 15:06   #144
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Loada Bollox... we are universally loved..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 16:01   #145

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Sailorchic-no one with a pink engine could ever be considered a part of the "beige" crowd!
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 16:08   #146
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Whilst EVERYONE is in agreement with the sentiments expressed about bad neighbours and personal responsibilities, Are you saying then that THIS is the reason for the liveaboards problems?

According to your note above, it seems that your well maintained and responsible vessel is STILL not welcome.
I don't see how anything I said above could have left the impression that my vessel is not welcome nor that I was in any way saying or implying any reason at all for the liveaboards problem. Are we speaking the same language here or is that lime helmet...oh never mind...if you have to say it, it won't be understood.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 16:10   #147
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Are we speaking the same language here or is that lime helmet...oh never mind.
Old 01-05-2014, 16:24   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don't see how anything I said above could have left the impression that my vessel is not welcome nor that I was in any way saying or implying any reason at all for the liveaboards problem. Are we speaking the same language here or is that lime helmet...oh never mind...if you have to say it, it won't be understood.
Quote:
I don't want to look at your 1/2 rotted away floating marine swap meet any more than the 2 milion dollar view homes looked out on the water at the both of us!
So....... this doesnt mean that the 2 million dollar view view homes doesnt want to see you?

Great. Lovely. Perhaps we do have a language problem.
Old 01-05-2014, 16:27   #149
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Perhaps we do have a language problem.
More than you realize...which is the fun part.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 16:36   #150
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are Liveaboards Unwanted? Disliked? All over Everywhere?

Quote:
How are Cruisers viewed in other countries when they stay anchored out for weeks or months at a time in view of marinas and harbours etc? After all a lot of the CFrs do this......
Well.. when I used to hit the beach in the dinghy folks would ask if I was on holiday.. when I said no.. I do this full time the usual response was.. "Lucky Ba$tard.."

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
liveaboard, wanted