Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 10:34   #1

Boat: Oyster 45
Are Liveaboards Stupid ?

Let me say from the outset we live aboard our boat but are mere babes in arms as we have only being doing so for a year. We didn't have much choice as to buy the boat, retire early and fund the lifestyle we sold our house and all our possessions.

It is coming up to winter and yet again we face the prospects of a confined space, cold mornings, condensation and a host of other nasty’s we have chosen to live with.

Are liveaboards a special breed or are they just stupid?

It makes a lot more sense having a house you can call home and going there over winter with central heating, satellite TV, home delivery, a car and friends?

We are split by this. I love the lifestyle and enjoy almost every minute. My wife just thinks we are stupid. I don’t know who will be proved right in the end!
Old 18-09-2011, 10:43   #2

Boat: Cooper 416
Re: Are Liveaboards stupid?

Only if you never leave the dock.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 10:46   #3

you have to love it, especially the older you get! Smelling the salt air in the morning, gulls in the background, watching the sealife as you drink your morning cofee, the anticipation of a new harbor, etc. If these are not valuable enough to offset the hardships like doing laundry in a laundromat, dampness, cold in winter etc it's not for you.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 10:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are Liveaboards stupid?

Whats the point of buying a boat and becoming liveaboards if your gonna stay in the same cold place as your house used to be...
Yup... STOOPID

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:01   #5

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Let me say from the outset we live aboard our boat but are mere babes in arms as we have only being doing so for a year. We didn't have much choice as to buy the boat, retire early and fund the lifestyle we sold our house and all our possessions.

It is coming up to winter and yet again we face the prospects of a confined space, cold mornings, condensation and a host of other nasty’s we have chosen to live with.

It makes a lot more sense having a house you can call home and going there over winter with central heating, satellite TV, home delivery, a car and friends?

We are split by this. I love the lifestyle and enjoy almost every minute. My wife just thinks we are stupid. I don’t know who will be proved right in the end!
Sounds to me you are just living on a boat instead of a house! The boat is moveable to warmer climates...it's called cruising. I'm retiring to live and cruise on my boat, sailing wherever I choose. Leaving behind house bills, car bills, the whole cambit that sucks the very life out of you just to tread water in todays society!

Thing is we are all different and that friend, is not a problemo. If it makes more sense to live in a house....then live in a house( the lady has made her mind up... you need a quiet life). House it is!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:09   #6

We were in Northern England last year where we started off our cruising. The marina froze over and temps were down to -14.
Cruising is about stopping and seeing places which we have been doing all year. We did Eastern England,London, Southern England, Normandy, and are now we are in Southern Brittany but even so, the winters will still be cold.
Old 18-09-2011, 11:14   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
We did Eastern England,London, Southern England, Normandy, and are now we are in Southern Brittany but even so, the winters will still be cold.
You have just passed through some of the most beautiful places on God's green earth. And someone is still thinking it is stupid?! I am finding this hard to comprehend.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You have just passed through some of the most beautiful places on God's green earth. And someone is still thinking it is stupid?! I am finding this hard to comprehend.
A womans mind is like a rubiks cube where she can change the colour of the squares at will. I don't even go there!
Old 18-09-2011, 11:28   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
A womans mind is like a rubiks cube where she can change the colour of the squares at will. I don't even go there!
And you're doing it on board a Holman & Pye designed Oyster 45. Oh, life sucks!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And you're doing it on board a Holman & Pye designed Oyster 45. Oh, life sucks!
I did say I loved it and he boat certainly helps.
Old 18-09-2011, 11:34   #11

Sounds like a great cruise - awesome locations. Winters must be tough. I am contemplating staying in NYC this winter or heading to Florida.
Not stupid. Maybe some more insulation?
Maybe send her somewhere south for a bit to warm things up???
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:38   #12
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Yeuk!!!! That's weird!! Stupid, even, perhaps. Why would you choose to keep your boat in a place where it gets cold???

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Whats the point of buying a boat and becoming liveaboards if your you're gonna stay in the same cold place as your house used to be...
Yup... STOOPID
Awww.... I just love your way with words
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:40   #13

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
We were in Northern England last year where we started off our cruising. The marina froze over and temps were down to -14.
Cruising is about stopping and seeing places which we have been doing all year. We did Eastern England,London, Southern England, Normandy, and are now we are in Southern Brittany but even so, the winters will still be cold.
I've just looked at your web page and I have to compliment you on your dream. Great boat.....it will take you as far as you want to go. As far as your beautiful top photo if you would only let it!
Where your problems are right now it seems...the missus is having second thoughts about the lifestyle!

If you bit the bullet and with a nice weather window, crossed Biscay, down to Portugal, ate a few mussels, drank some of their lovely port, then on down to Canaries you would see and feel a vast difference in the weather and be able to enjoy your beautiful boat to the full. Caribbean is a tradewind sail of about 20 days for you....you could stay in the islands for years if you like. With what you have right now the world really is your.....Oyster!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Sounds like a great cruise - awesome locations. Winters must be tough. I am contemplating staying in NYC this winter or heading to Florida.
Not stupid. Maybe some more insulation?
Maybe send her somewhere south for a bit to warm things up???
Trouble is men are from Mars, Females are from Venus. She has given up so much for us to be able to do this and as much as I like this lifestyle I also have to see things from her point of view. We have agreed to look at it again next year and see how feelings are then.
Old 18-09-2011, 11:44   #15
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Nostronose - yup...stupid...very very stupid...living in an unnatural environment for land mammals, surrounded by water you cannot drink, polluted by god knows what carcinogens, surrounded by drunk naybours and dock crime, in a cramped cold upside down house not designed quite to the likes of square edged people that constantly needs $$$$$ in upkeep because of the weather and stuff.

Yup...very dumb...so...ummm...soo...why not sell me that boaty of yours? that um...crayfish, or muscle or oyster or whatever you call it? I'll give ya $10k FOR IT just because I CARE about your well being! SaltyMonkey!!!!

YAY!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote