Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2006, 21:33   #1
CSG

Anyone split their time between an RV and boat?

As an RVer and former sailor looking to get back into sailing and cruising in the Pacific Northwest, I've got this notion about spending about 6 and 6 between my RV and a boat yet to be purchased.

Just curious if anyone else does this and what your experiences are. Thinking of putting a boat in at Port Angeles where the rates are reasonable and liveaboard slips are not an issue.
CSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 08:04   #2

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
CSG;

Interesting concept. Perhaps something that would be more interesting would be a way to connect up with a buddy with the other kind of vehicle and swap.

It's obviously impossible for me to use my boat to visit my brother in Colorado and tour the Rocky Mountains. It's equally impossible for an RV owner to cruise the Bahamas and spend a winter anchored in the Turks and Caicos Islands. Each life style has its benifits but also its limitations.

Now, if there was a way to connect up RV'ers and Cruisers, a pair of competent and responsible individuals (or couples) could swap usage of a boat and an RV of similar size and value without having to own both.

Might be a business opportunity for someone.

KaptainKen
KaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 09:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Actually - I do know a couple who do just that - they keep their boat (power) docked somewhere up the Sacramento River, and they have their RV that they use to go exploring the US with (they like making climbs). They are both retired, so they have TWO vacation "homes", and no regular home - I believe that they can deduct both!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 22:25   #4

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Another version of the RV/boating scenario goes like this. First the couple purchased a good boat and toured in it for three years. Then the sold the boat and bought a good RV which they toured for another number of years throughout North America as their age removed them from the sailing scene.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 04:40   #5

Boat: Morgan 382 "Tropical Wave"
Yeah, rsn48, that's our plan too. We had started thinking about the RV, then decided our passion was really sailing, so we bought a boat. We will cruise till we can't any more, then buy the RV (if there is any money left....)

But I must say, having the boat AND the RV would be ideal!!!! Maybe in my next life I will make better investment decisions, and we can have it all!

John
chuckiebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 17:08   #6

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Chuckiebits, even if you do the boat, sell, then get the RV is still ideal as most of the world has so much less than we do in North America. Just make sure you include the Pacific Northwest in your cruising dreams (you really did want to do the Panama Canal - right?) And when you get the RV, take the Alaska ferry with your RV and motor on down through Alaska, Yukon, then BC roads to Jasper and Banff.

Then you can get one of the those tacky North American maps and every time you are in a province or state, you can claim it and stick on a sticky; of course the objective to fill in all the states, Provinces - and what to heck, the territories.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2006, 16:56   #7

Boat: ?,?,?-?
We are getting out of RVing and moving into sailing if possible. Actually RVing was the dry run for sailing since sailing was really possible in AZ.

I wish you the best of luck making that happen. Sounds ideal to me too--maybe in the next life.

Chanda
jartwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 20:44   #8

Boat: Canadian Northern 35--Misty
We have lived aboard sailboats and an RV and are currently putting it together to do both. They don't have to be new--just good quality units and they can be affordable. The RV is a 34' Avion we have had for many years and is about to get a complete retrofit. It will be like new and still very cheap. Just bought another boat (our upteenth one) and will start outfitting it next spring. When we are working (and RVing), the boat will be in drydock, where ever we stop. The RV is easy to park and put up. And by way, the 3,800 SF house is for sale and the 900 SF mountain house is designed!
sailboatescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 20:44   #9

Boat: Beneteau 36
CSG & Group :

This is something Mary & I have been planning for a few years & it goes like this...

We presently own a Beneteau 361 & a 25ft Airstream.

Since we are both 49 & will be working a few more years (she'll be retired & with a nice pention in 7yrs...I own my own business) we cruise in the great lakes in the summer (our 2wk holiday & wknds) & use the Airstream to travel after the boat is put up for the winter.

Our long range plan is to retire with a Beneteau 42-43 & an Airstream 31 in the family...as both these toys will allow for more comfortable travel.

We recently bought two vacant residential building lots (both have deep canal axcess out into Lake St Clair) & on the first one we will be building a large (3 car) garage with a small apt above for storage of our worldly things.

The master plan is to sell our present home (3500 sq ft) & buy a smaller home as our son's residence (although it will really be ours) & this way if he marries & screws up (50% failure rate folks...so the odds stink) there will be no home equity for him to loose...(can you tell I'm a mortgage broker of 30yrs?)

We will travel up & down the east coast doing the Bahamas & the Keys each winter & return each year to the homestead to keep the lid on the garbage can of real life, as necessary.

Cel-phones, internet banking, pention income, investment income & our son to stick-handle tricky things "should" make this all work out as necessary.

We are 7yrs away & counting down...
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 21:44   #10

Boat: Bayliner 2556
The Great Loop Forum has a couple that split their year between the Great Loop and RVing across the Southern States. http://lists.samurai.com/mailman/listinfo/great-loop His name is Bob and he actually publishes travel guides for the Loop.
Craig Harlamoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 05:29   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	front door.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	295i have become quite enamoured of small vintage trailers and during a present sabbatical on land, i began collecting, restoring and selling them. they are alot like my little boat and quite a bit of fun. my present camper, (auction ends tonight on ebay and i might just get one more before returning to sea) is fiberglass! i found that doing repairs were very simple for me, (the landlubbers are really virgins when it comes to glass work and refinishing, ie painting etc), they use crummy auto products. here is a photo of my latest, its a boler, i'm sure familiar to all you canuks, made in canada. it is 13 feet, weighs only 1,000 pounds and i tow it with a broken down '91 caprice old cop car.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 05:45   #12

Boat: Beneteau 36
Hey Little Boat :

Those little Boler's are cute.

Lots of guys who take long weekends in the fall & run up north to go hunting use those as they are better than a canvas tent in case a midnight bear should ever wander into camp.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 05:49   #13
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
For years I took my family RVing in a 26 ft. Class C, Fleetwood Jamboree. I did all the maintenance, and installed quite a bit of aftermarket goodies even though the RV was fully loaded. Now I am looking at catamarans, and seeing a whole lot of familiar names and system components. Sureflo, Dometic, propane, Onan,
I am thinking a lot of the systems work will be very similar in a boat.
Old 22-11-2006, 04:23   #14
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
This lifestyle appeals to us too, but one question -- how would you manage care of the RV while you're out for six months sailing? I don't know much about RVs, so this might be a silly question, but doesn't the engine need to be turned over and exercised like a car's would be? Are there services that store RVs and take care of these details? I don't know that I would trust it to a family member (or burden them with it), and they wouldn't have a place for us to park it anyway.

Thanks!
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 13:45   #15

Boat: Looking
This is exactly what I'd like to do and one of the reason that I ended up on this forum. We just bought a 25' Airstream Classic, I also have a 1976 31' Airstream and I'm now starting the research for a liveaboard sailboat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	735  
Craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote