Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2019, 06:34   #1

Anyone living with a Parrot or any bird?

Hey all. We are prepping our 87 hunter legend for liveaboard. Space is always an issue. We were planning to remove the main birth sink and making a bird cage in that corner, with storage underneath. Right now he only sleeps in the cage and is out until 5pm.

Can you give me ideas for the bird to hang out in the rest of the boat? What do you do about bird droppings? What about on deck? I am concerned for birds of prey, or him just being a bird and hitting the water.

Do you clip their wings?

Any advice would be great! We have a monk parrot, who is like two times the size of a parakeet. Thanks in advance!
nimbex1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 04:48   #2

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: Anyone living with a Parrot or any bird?

Since we don't have a bird, I would suggest contacting Rick Moore aboard SV Sophisticated Lady. He has had a few birds while living aboard. I believe they have been African Grey Macaws. They seem to do quite well. He would probably give you some great input, as he has had birds for a long time..

Here is his website: https://ambientreallife.com/
Old 18-04-2019, 05:32   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

My late wife had several parrots. Over a number of years we had a Amazon Double Yellow Head, Amazon Lialac Fronted, a couple of Green Wing McCaws and an African Grey.

We lived aboard an cruised with the African Grey. We had an acrylic (no rust) sleep cage build which was mounted in a cabin below. It was fully enclosed acrylic with air holes up high so no cage mess could exit the sides. Slide out tray for cleaning. Space for perch, toy, food, water.

During the day the Grey hung out on a perch in the full enclosed cockpit. We just hosed out the cockpit each day.

A totally enclosed cockpit is important if you want to keep the bird uncaged in the cockpit. An escaped domesticated parrot wont likely fare well...especially since they cant swim. They can flop around in the water for a very brief time...Ive rescued a few, but youve got to be right there when they go in the water or they will drown.

Your bird is smaller so a cage of some sort in the cockpit may work more conveniently.

If you plan to cruise with a parrot, be aware that most species fall under CITES regulations. This can make it a singificant hassle clearing international borders. Way more so that cats or dogs aboard (we also cruised with 3 cats).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 04:10   #4

Belizesailor if you are checking back, did the grey tear up the screening for the cockpit? If you have a picture I would really appreciate your time.

Thank you both. If anyone has experiences or ideas to share I would appreciate them as well.
Old 19-04-2019, 04:42   #5

Parrots, particularly larger ones, are very destructive. The Grey stayed on its perch in the cockpit so never damaged the cockpit screens, but she did damage some interior wood work once.

We did clip our parrots wings. Domesticated parrots dont fly enough for their flight muscles to be in good shape. So, if their wings are not clipped then they can only fly short distances before they get tired and land. Ive had to do a few recoveries because of this behavior. They typically get tired, land, and wait for you to come get them...thats fine if you know where they are!

I dont have a pic of the set up, but we used a rope perch suspended in the cockpit. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/JW-Comfy-Perc.../dp/B0002AR754
Old 19-04-2019, 05:01   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I've seen a number of birds on boats.

And (off boats) I've had birds. And many people I know have lost their birds.

IMHO it's only a matter of time until bird ends up in the water, then it's all over.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 02:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I've seen a number of birds on boats.

And (off boats) I've had birds. And many people I know have lost their birds.

IMHO it's only a matter of time until bird ends up in the water, then it's all over.
Exactly what I am worried about, thank you. Currently our bird Max stays outside in the screened pool area, he cannot be left unsupervised as he has taken a swim once. So a small cage outside or in the screened cockpit does seem like my only choices.

I have a harness for him to sit on my shoulder when we walk the neighborhood, but for obvious safety reasons I can't be walking outside on the boat, minding the bird on my shoulder and myself.
Old 20-04-2019, 04:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbex1970 View Post
I have a harness for him to sit on my shoulder when we walk the neighborhood, but for obvious safety reasons I can't be walking outside on the boat, minding the bird on my shoulder and myself.
We had a no animals (3 cats and a parrot aboard) on deck policy when underway. When we got underway the parrot went into its sleep cage and the cats down below.

Tags
rot