Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 11:49   #16

Re: Anyone Living Aboard in the USVI?

In case anyone else is interested here is what I got for rates at Crowne Bay, looks like annual under 55' is about $500/month
annuarates.pdf
Caribbean Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 15:49   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Some of the boatyards both in the Virgins and Fajardo, P.R. have "Hurricane Haul-out" programs where you prepay for 3 months or more boatyard storage fees and then when a storm looks like you may be affected you take the boat there and they will haul you out. This seems expensive - paying for something you may not use - but insurance is the same thing, you pay and hope you do not need to use it.

If you are looking at that boat in Nanny Cay, BVI, it looks like a very good from the outside as a "live aboard" type boat for a couple, but it is 16 years old, so will need some work. Which will keep the both of you busy and out of the bars for awhile. You need to look carefully at things inside and behind panels and walls. Just like a woman you don't really know what you are getting until to see what underneath the outer coverings.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:47   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

USAA doesn't really understand boats bigger than fishing and ski boats you trailer. It sounds like you figured that out already.

If you're looking at Jackline you are dealing with IMIS. Good folks. The principal owner is Al Golden who is a retired sail cruiser. Everyone there is knowledgeable. I've been happy with my Jackline policy for six years. You might want to talk to Jack Martin also 800. 497. 5804.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 15:44   #19

Just got my insurance quote for some boats in my price range! Annual premium of $2500 and it covers named storms with a total loss deductible of $2600! This is well within my price range which means I can afford insurance, even in the event of total loss for a named storm/hurricane, which hopefully means I'll be able to get financing, which means... Its time to go boat shopping! I'm so happy I just did a little jig!
Old 06-03-2012, 15:48   #20

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

What company gave you the quote, please?
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 16:02   #21

The quote came from Sunderland Marine Mutual via Gloria Hodgens, CPSR
W.R. Hodgens Marine Insurance, Inc. Osirissail - that's the one! Obviously I'm not making any commitments now, just thought it looked like a good boat to base my research on. Next up, learning how to buy a used sailboat. Any particularly helpful threads here that people recommend or online resources? What would you personally look for in a boat, what are selling points or deal breakers that you look for?
Old 06-03-2012, 16:12   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

If you remove the silly posts, rude remarks and non-relevant digressions into "end of the world" type stuff, this forum is pretty much all about buying and refitting "old boats." Once you get past "Scuttlebutt" the other forum sections pretty much cover most everything about boat systems and how to do the refit and repair and installations.

Learning to inspect a potential boat is very important and if you don't feel ready yet get a friend who is knowledgeable to go with you - or - hire a surveyor.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbean Bound View Post
TWhat would you personally look for in a boat, what are selling points or deal breakers that you look for?
I like Chuck Gustafson's book, short and sweet but packed with good info

http://www.amazon.com/How-Buy-Best-S...1126806&sr=1-1 and

I like Carl's Sail Calculator to begin basic comparisons between monohulls

http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:10   #24

Yo, Caribbean Bound, news flash: you didn't read the rate chart from Crown Bay Marina correctly. To figure out your cost, you take the cost per day x length of boat x 365, so $1.26 x 42 ft x 365 days = $19315.80 per annum!!!! Big difference.
(I checked this with the marina a moment ago.)
Old 09-03-2012, 10:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Breakaway View Post
Yo, Caribbean Bound, news flash: you didn't read the rate chart from Crown Bay Marina correctly. To figure out your cost, you take the cost per day x length of boat x 365, so $1.26 x 42 ft x 365 days = $19315.80 per annum!!!! Big difference.
(I checked this with the marina a moment ago.)

Thanks for the double check Breakaway, although heartbreaking its good to know. I know you spoke with them so I'm still trying to better understand. The chart I received, and posted above, is what I was going off of. If I'm going off the per year rate category they circled for boats less than 55' I'm looking at $419.75. I then multiply by the length of vessel (using 45'), arriving at $18,888.75 correct? I then divide by ten for their ten month payment plan, arriving at a monthly payment of $1888.75 for ten months at which point I "the customer gets the last two months free".
Old 09-03-2012, 10:32   #26

Sounds correct. I notice the $1.26/ft that she used in my example doesn't even show up on the chart they sent you, unless it's a "blended rate" between on-season and off-season. At any rate, it's out of my price range. Keeping a boat in Tortola, BVI is cheaper, but a one-hour ferry ride at $55/RT makes it untenable for you.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48   #27

Yes, when I called her she said she'd send an annual blended rate chart, which is what that is. It's still to high for me on an annual basis. However, I think I could make it work for "hurricane season" which is what I'm most worrried about. This leaves me the option of anchorages in the offseason as for what I've been told moorages are nearly impossible to come by, correct?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:26   #28

I don't know about mooring in the USVI, but I can tell you there will be a looooong line of people who just want to pay for a slip during hurricaine season. And some places make you vacate your slip during a hurricaine, anyway.
Old 10-03-2012, 16:09   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
USAA doesn't really understand boats bigger than fishing and ski boats you trailer.
They financed my trimaran but I insured with someone else. They sent me to Progressive as their affiliate for yacht boating insurance. Progressive was ridiculous.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard