Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2016, 15:08   #31

Boat: Hardin Sea Wolf 41ft
Re: Anyone here based in Puerto Rico?

There's no dry dock no haul out, but Ponce is just a three hour sail if you need to haul out. Water is very active re marine life, lots of manatees, but you need to anchor on the edge of the bay if you have a water maker. Stuff grows on your hull very fast here.
Old 20-03-2017, 12:53   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie743 View Post
It's very protected like you said. But with any marina and a fairly direct hit the surge alone will cause major damage.

Hello, my husband and I are looking to leave the boat( cata 420) in dry storage in Puerto del Rey as first time or sail to Grenada as we did last hurricane season
The thing is that we prefer Puerto Rico because our next year's plans but my husband is scare about the hurricane even leaving the boat out of the water so, please, could you give me any advise? Is Puerto Rico and Puerto del Rey safe for the hurricane season?
Thanks in advance
Old 20-03-2017, 14:02   #33
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Hurricanes should scare you. They can even hit Grenada. But that's what insurance is for.
Old 11-08-2019, 17:10   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Bumping an old thread because so much has changed due to the hurricanes.

We sent a few weeks in Salinas after the hurricanes. The harbor was cleaned up well with one or two marked derelicts. The Marina was still rebuilding at that time.

Can anyone give updates in the big West coat marinas? I’d especially like to get some idea of dry storage rates for monohulls. When I previously tried to get a quote from Puerto Del Rey I never got an answer after multiple emails and a couple of calls. But that was then.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 17:59   #35

Boat: Cape Dory 28

The main phone number for Puerto del Rey Marina is 787-860-1000. They usually answer immediately and will have someone there who speaks English clearly. I stored a Leopard 47PC catamaran there during hurricane Maria. She was stored on the hard and was undamaged by the storm. They will be able to transfer you over to the storage side of the operation and give you a quote.
Ed
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 18:48   #36

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We hauled our 43’ monohull at Puerto del Rey in July 1. Professional well organized team. We had Ankla Marine do the hurricane tie downs and air the boat once a month.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:45   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Thanks for replies. Back in 2017 when I called I got a very different response. Each time. And never the promised call back.

We are now in a Grenada yard, which is OK. We are thinking about our upcoming season. For sure some time in St Martin to get some welding done, but where to land for hurricane season? So many options, so much yet to see.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:50   #38

We spent the 2017 hurricane season at Independent Boat Yard on St. Thomas. It was a disaster for us. After hurricane Irma knocked the boats over, the yard manager would not let us bring in a crane that was available to lift our boat. Hurricane Maria undermined her and cracked her hole, with water/mud ingress. She was a total constructive loss. Boats at Puerto del Rey fared much better. There are also more and better contractors at PDR.

Cheers, RickG
Old 13-08-2019, 05:50   #39

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

I had my SV at Puerto Del Rey during Irma. Had it very well tied down, hatches sealed and all canvas stored. I ended up with only a couple hundred in damages. Wind gauge at top of mast broke, a tarp I had over my dinghy got ripped off and destroyed and an oar stored under the dinghy disappeared. No other damage so I was very lucky. A few boats really got it but based on the several thousand boats there between the slips, dry stack and yard storage I believe most survived will little or no damage. And Irma was a direct hit. I had Quino from the rigging shop looking out for my SV and he did everything right.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 06:17   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I had my SV at Puerto Del Rey during Irma. Had it very well tied down, hatches sealed and all canvas stored. I ended up with only a couple hundred in damages. Wind gauge at top of mast broke, a tarp I had over my dinghy got ripped off and destroyed and an oar stored under the dinghy disappeared. No other damage so I was very lucky. A few boats really got it but based on the several thousand boats there between the slips, dry stack and yard storage I believe most survived will little or no damage. And Irma was a direct hit. I had Quino from the rigging shop looking out for my SV and he did everything right.
This is what drove our devision to keep our boat in PDR. Quino's daughter Bianca started Ancla Marina with her husband Johnny to do guardianage services for boats at PDR. I have them managing the other contractors that are working on our boat for a small general contractor fee; well worth it as I do not speak Spanish, yet.

Cheers, RickG
Old 13-08-2019, 06:37   #41
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Have any of you stayed at Palmas Del Mar since Maria? I'm looking at heading there in April for a few months then hauling out at Puerto Del Rey.

Tags
Puerto Rico