Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2016, 10:07   #1

Anyone have a Liveaboard Blog...(not cruiser)

Was just wondering if there are any daily blogs out there from liveaboards that are not cruising. I have read many of those..just curious as to a blog for someone living on a boat in a marina and holding down a regular job. Maybe that is too boring for most to want to read..just thought it might be good to read throughts, etc from someone living on a boat that has not tossed off the lines yet.
Anyone know of any?

Come to think of it I have read one from a CF member...Life on Gudgeon - Liveaboard | Life aboard a 36' sailboat

If anyone knows any others, please list. THanks.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 10:24   #2

Boat: HR352 -> Falmouth Cutter 22
Re: anyone have a Liveaboard Blog...(not cruiser)

Not one for shameless self-promotion but we haven't tossed off the lines yet and are both working full time jobs. I also go to grad school full-time so the boat is just a place for us to lay our heads at nights and slave away at projects on weekends. If you have any questions about living aboard shoot us a message on our site Abandon Comfort , we've been aboard for a month now so its all fresh and new to us
Lucidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 10:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

From my observations, live aboards out number cruisers by a large margin, and many cruisers become live aboards regularly to recharge the kitty so they can then again become cruisers.
Surely there must be blogs?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 10:41   #4
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Not a blog, but maybe a place for you to hang out - Liveaboard Forum - Life Aboard - Portal

We don't work, and mostly do our cruising fall through spring. For now, we're just tied to a dock, living on our boat. There isn't much to talk about. We do laundry, bum rides to the grocery store, do boat projects, take showers, and drink with friends here sometimes. We do have a nice marina here that is very friendly to it's boaters. Free beer 24/7 and beer/wine happy hours on Mon, Wed, Fri. Check it out at Brunswick Landing Marina: A liveaboard's paradise in Georgia

So, other than us hanging out on our boat with a heat -index of 105 currently, what are you looking for?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 11:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
..We do laundry, bum rides to the grocery store, do boat projects, take showers, and drink with friends here sometimes. We do have a nice marina here that is very friendly to it's boaters. Free beer 24/7 and beer/wine happy hours on Mon, Wed, Fri. Check it out at Brunswick Landing Marina: A liveaboard's paradise in Georgia

So, other than us hanging out on our boat with a heat -index of 105 currently, what are you looking for?
That is what I am looking for. The real scoop on normal life on a boat..Marina life. What you do for fun..how much of a pain is it to rely on marina showers, etc. What is is like to live the lifestyle without the "romance" of island hopping and eating/drinking in exotic locales.
Maybe this would be a boring read, I don't know. I was just reading some sailing blogs and thought to myself "that is great, but not reality for many"..how do the 'working stiffs' live? What is it like in the winter? Icy docks, gray skies, too much wind, not enough wind..raining out..too tired to want to move..claustrophobic living quarters...the list is infinite.
Old 29-06-2016, 11:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidity View Post
Not one for shameless self-promotion but we haven't tossed off the lines yet and are both working full time jobs. I also go to grad school full-time so the boat is just a place for us to lay our heads at nights and slave away at projects on weekends. If you have any questions about living aboard shoot us a message on our site Abandon Comfort , we've been aboard for a month now so its all fresh and new to us
I will check the blog out. Thanks.
Old 29-06-2016, 12:06   #7
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

We do like to move around, but if you need to stay in one spot (because of work for instance), then the marina is your most important consideration. If you have a vehicle not so much maybe. But for us we need to walk or ride bikes to most places. Here, it's really good because there is much close by.

The marina here has free wifi, a really nice boaters lounge, excellent showers and restrooms that are convenient, and are well kept. Free loaner bikes. Also, a huge cruising community that hang out here for hurricane season, so many people to talk to. We have a Danish couple that pulled in a couple of weeks ago. They are really fun people. There are Aussies and Kiwis too. A truly international group here.

We spent a month in Stuart, Florida a while back. We were on a mooring, not in a slip, but a short dinghy ride to shore. The marina there has a free shuttle to Publix, West Marine, CVS, Wal Mart, and some other stops, a couple of times a week. Nice shops and restaurants within a short walk. A favorite of ours was the free concert held each Sunday right on the water.

If you do buy a boat to live on, find yourself a marina that is friendly. Good luck!

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 12:36   #8

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Check out Sailing Chance

They are in New York City, and even have pics of the blizzard last winter. Communte to NYC from Liberty Landing marina on Staten Island I think.

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 12:53   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks for the plug!

SanJuanSufficiency.com is one that I read.
Old 30-06-2016, 08:43   #10

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan
Re: Anyone have a Liveaboard Blog...(not cruiser)

We are in the process of fixing up two boats right now in New Orleans. Viviansvoyage.com if ya want to check us out! I'm a truck driver at night and boat mechanic in my off hours. The blog is a little slow cause I don't get a lot of time off and my wife only likes to blog Vivian our sailboat and not all the blood sweat and tears I've been doing on Salty our live aboard trawler for the last three years. Well, to be truthful, we didn't start documenting this until we bought Vivi so old Salty got left behind with no pictures and just the blood and tears 😃
New Orleans is a great place to liveaboard, cheap slips, lots of entertainment and friendly people.
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 10:40   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

check out windtraveler
live aboard with 3 baby girls
fantastic
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 10:47   #12

Thank you for asking that question. There are, in fact, others that would be interested in reading about that very subject.

I am looking for a live-aboard marina right now and where I relocate to will be in large part dependent on being able to find one.

Thank you for asking the question.
ahpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 11:05   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Most cruisers do seem to pop in and out of liveaboard marina situations. Either stopping to make some money or deal with some life situations- medical or needing to be in a fixed spot for family etc.

Most stop writing much about their lives when not traveling though. We're in a marina now while I have a couple surgeries and deal with medical stuff. My husband has taken the opp to pick up a consulting gig and we'll probably be in this situation for a year. I notice that I'm not writing so much on our blog now because it's all pretty boring stuff. The most interesting parts are dealing with casts and crutches and getting around on and off the boat while so physically messed up. Nobody wants to hear that stuff lol.

Good luck in getting your own sailing plans in order and enjoying your own boat someday. IMO the living aboard in a marina part just sucks compared to being at anchor or even on a mooring. Just think of it as living in your RV in a parking lot day in day out-not an RV park with grass and all-just a parking lot. No matter how nice the facilities it is hard to shake that parking lot feel. I hope you find a way to work and do your regular activities without being in a marina.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-06-2016, 11:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Not a blog, but maybe a place for you to hang out - Liveaboard Forum - Life Aboard - Portal

We don't work, and mostly do our cruising fall through spring. For now, we're just tied to a dock, living on our boat. There isn't much to talk about. We do laundry, bum rides to the grocery store, do boat projects, take showers, and drink with friends here sometimes. We do have a nice marina here that is very friendly to it's boaters. Free beer 24/7 and beer/wine happy hours on Mon, Wed, Fri. Check it out at Brunswick Landing Marina: A liveaboard's paradise in Georgia

Ralph
Did you say free beer 24/7????
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 17:24   #15

We have been living aboard for the last year and a half and are cutting the lines in the next 6-9 months. So you can get both at Sailing Luna Sea - Adventures Ahead a liveaboard cruising blog.
h2ojunke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, liveaboard