Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 21:46   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
Any Women Living Aboard ?

l'm a living aboard in a place were there are only men are living on there boat around me, nothing wrong with that. But l feel kinda like the odd man out. l'm also one of the youngest. l work on boat engines for a living, also only girl. l'm in love with this lifestyle, l would really love to be able to talk to some girls that are hanging out on the water like me. Anyone out there?
KateJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 22:29   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard!

Try this string of threads. You should be able to pick up some good info.........

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f92/
Old 04-06-2010, 22:35   #3

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
hey there Kate. I know how you feel sometimes. Most of my neighbors are either single men or couples while I am an unattached female.
Old 04-06-2010, 22:39   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Howdy from Texas
I live aboard a CD30 which I am trying to restore to go cruising by 2012. I believe I am the only single live aboard gal in my marina. Don't ya just love this life? kinda crazy there are not more people living aboard, but maybe that is a good thing.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 04-06-2010, 22:57   #5

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
I think it's a great lifestyle personally. probably my viking ancestry calling to me.
Old 04-06-2010, 23:30   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateJoy View Post
. l'm in love with this lifestyle, l would really love to be able to talk to some girls that are hanging out on the water like me. Anyone out there?
Hi Kate,

Its a difficult problem. Nicolle is 27 and she finds only a few boats with people her age. theres a boat right next to us now and the woman is 29. Nic and her get on very well, but they are heading out and we won't see them till the Canaries, or Gibralter, in 4 months.

A lot of the cruisers are retired and there is a generation gap.

Anyway, if you want to email Nicolle to find out how she copes then jump onto our website and use the contact page and email her directly
She would appreciate your email

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:48   #7

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Hi there - wrong age but two of us women living on RG. Even we find (late '40's) that we're often younger than the cruisers around us so I do get that bit too (at least a bit!)
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 19:34   #8

Wonderful! l'm so happy took the leap and got rid of everything and moved aboard. All my material things were weighing me down. l feel like my mood has improved, and l look forward to all the projects that l need to do on her, because at the end of the day l feel like l accomplished something. Every week she looks better, and l feel less stressed.
Old 05-06-2010, 21:15   #9

It sounds like you have found the proper lifestyle then. I made the move about three years ago when I finished my university studies and have not regretted it since. I have always been drawn to the sea and living aboard suits my temperament ideally. How much more work do you have to do on your boat?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:39   #10

l'm putting in solar panels this week, and l have some fiberglass damage on the stern. And a few odds and ends after that. So not much at the moment. But you know how boats are, theres always something so l'm sure the list will grow............... hopefully not to much.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:53   #11

Boat: Island Packet 27, BLISS
Good for you, Kate! I'm here on my little BLISS, the only woman singlehander/liveaboard/cruiser I know of in this part of Florida. Sure wish you were nearby because I'd love to hire you to help with some stuff on my boat (solar, electric windlass, more). For what it's worth, I'm 57 and have had this boat just a few months. The last boat I owned and cruised was, wow, 18 years ago.

Rebecca
Gracias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 13:25   #12

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Quote:
l'm a living aboard in a place were there are only men are living on there boat around me ...
If only I could find a marina where there was nothing but women living around me!
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 13:42   #13

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
If only I could find a marina where there was nothing but women living around me!
Your honey-do list will be such a burden that you will never leave the marina ever again!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 14:01   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
l'm a living aboard in a place were there are only men are living on there boat around me, nothing wrong with that. But l feel kinda like the odd man out. l'm also one of the youngest. l work on boat engines for a living, also only girl. l'm in love with this lifestyle, l would really love to be able to talk to some girls that are hanging out on the water like me. Anyone out there?
For Goodness' sake. I can only imagine being in an analogous situation --

Dear Cruisersforum Comrades: on my Transpac I ended up on this strange island. There are no men here; just a whole population of nubile females. In their culture, it's not normal for men to sail; sailing is done by the women and the men all go off to Australia to try to find work and never come back. I feel so strange, being the only male sailor. The women are always coming around, bringing me food, admiring my boat, and offering me massages and stuff. They have this kind of hungry look in their eyes. What should I do? I just wish I had a man to talk to.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 15:12   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
For Goodness' sake. I can only imagine being in an analogous situation --

Dear Cruisersforum Comrades: on my Transpac I ended up on this strange island. There are no men here; just a whole population of nubile females. In their culture, it's not normal for men to sail; sailing is done by the women and the men all go off to Australia to try to find work and never come back. I feel so strange, being the only male sailor. The women are always coming around, bringing me food, admiring my boat, and offering me massages and stuff. They have this kind of hungry look in their eyes. What should I do? I just wish I had a man to talk to.

Wow Dockhead, it is as if you peeked into the life of a single sailor girl .

Kate do you do your own glasswork? What do ya need to repair?

As far as a cat aboard - I lost a cat to the water last year. I did not have carpet out, she fell in and was never recovered. I depended on myself to keep an eye on her and never left her alone on deck. But one night I was so tired from work that I fell asleep while she was still on deck. It is still a very sad point for me, but I wanted to let you know that it is a very real danger and to lay strips of carpet in several places abound the boat(port bow, stbd bow, port stern, etc). You cannot always be there for her and she needs to know how to get herself out of danger. Hey, just like us, self sufficient sailors self with sufficient sailor cats.
Erika

Tags
living aboard