Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 15:31   #16

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Dockhead, gotta watch out for us maritime amazons. Being nomadic, you never know where we will turn up.
Old 08-06-2010, 22:45   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Dear Cruisersforum Comrades: on my Transpac I ended up on this strange island. There are no men here; just a whole population of nubile females. .
We sailed past the Greek island of Lesbos (Lesvos) 039 09 N 026 12 E but Nicolle wouldn't let me stop We were cleared in Turkey so can't do the ol flag swap trick as we are too honest Looks like a sesational island and a huge bay and crusing grounds with anchorages...

Couldn't see any of the locals although I tried polishing the lens...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:10   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Dockhead, gotta watch out for us maritime amazons. Being nomadic, you never know where we will turn up.
So, how long do I have to wait for your tribe to turn up?

Nomadic sailorgirl amazons -- sounds pretty irresistable.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 21:10   #19

Boat: Catalina 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
For Goodness' sake. I can only imagine being in an analogous situation --

Dear Cruisersforum Comrades: on my Transpac I ended up on this strange island. There are no men here; just a whole population of nubile females. In their culture, it's not normal for men to sail; sailing is done by the women and the men all go off to Australia to try to find work and never come back. I feel so strange, being the only male sailor. The women are always coming around, bringing me food, admiring my boat, and offering me massages and stuff. They have this kind of hungry look in their eyes. What should I do? I just wish I had a man to talk to.
l don't think you have met the majority of male liveaboards. Older, perverted, salty dogs. Again nothing wrong with that. But as for someone to talk to about adjusting to living as a single woman on the water and all that includes, or getting a massage. They are not the right people. They usually point at my chest and make a crude remark, or say "you should really go cruising on my boat with me" and then wink, and make another crude remark. Now this is not all of them, there are some really cool people that l have met that live on the water. lt just seems that there is a few more of the pervy ones.

Although l did enjoy your story
KateJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 22:31   #20

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
katejoy congratulations on making the plunge. i too liveaboard a catalina 27 and i love it. my friends and family think im nuts but they can see just how happy i am. like you said theres never a dull moment as there is always something that needs tending to.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 06:52   #21

Re: Any Women Living Aboard ?

i'm jim 45 in arkansas. i am planning to start building my 29' cutter next year. i am wanting to find someone in the freeport, tx. area to go out sailing with them, if you know of anyone, please let me know.....jim
seagypsy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 07:16   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

been living aboard since 1990. welcome to cf. i am also cruising--currently in mazatlan. there is another solo female here alkso-- she surfs and cruises..and is not young. we each plan on leaving here this spring for heading south--destination will be panama.
havent met any other solo females out here.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 12:49   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

I am shopping for a boat; heading over to Grasonville, MD to look over a couple of boats this week/end. Once the boat is purchased it will be home for me and Boo. 'course it will be me (brain and outlook of a 40 year old woman - chronologically over the double nickle). I hope to find a marina where I would not be the only single woman.
Old 29-08-2011, 14:17   #24

me n boo---i usually anchor out. i dislike marinas for many reasons....
bubba used to be boo boo before i figgered his name should be bubba--he is just waaay too big to be boo boo......and not a halloween cat, either-- so bubba it is.
i am usually the only solo female in the anchorage. my mooring had one other solo female and she wimped out and moved back onto land/.
here, i found there is one other female solo ...
goood luck in your search.
Old 30-08-2011, 13:29   #25

Boat: 45' Horstman Tri-Star

I'm a woman living aboard, but I'm a complete newbie to it and to sailing in general. I'm not solo, thank goodness, because I would be in completely over my head! I've noticed there aren't many liveaboard women in general and haven't met any who live aboard solo. I'll be looking forward to learning a lot from you ladies!
SeaHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 09:10   #26

seahearts, did you build that tristar? tell me more about you. i have only sailed on the river here, and i am building my 29' gartside gaff cutter. my names james, i'm 45 year old living in arkansas, but will be launching my boat in around freeport ,texas. i would love to come for day sail with someone.
seagypsy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:22   #27

Boat: 1990 Irwin 43 CC

There are several women who live aboard at Constitution Marina in Boston. In general, out of approximately 100 liveaboards, I would say about 50 % couples, 40% men and 10% women
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:30   #28

marina mazatlan has exactly 2 ladies in residence on board their own boats. we are both a lil older than many of the live aboard men. less drunk than most of the liveaboard men.
what is it about living aboard that attracts drunken males?????
there is just something about a guy who drinks somewhere in the neighborhood of a liter (quart)of vodka or tequila daily that turns me totally off......
Old 08-09-2011, 09:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
what is it about living aboard that attracts drunken males?????
there is just something about a guy who drinks somewhere in the neighborhood of a liter (quart)of vodka or tequila daily that turns me totally off......
I get the impression that a number of men view the interior of a boat as a cave, or more specifically, a man-cave. As such they can revert to cave man behaviour.

Thankfully not all men succumb to this condition. Those that do will eventually find themselves without female companionship. But then, perhaps that is their goal.
MermaidMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54   #30

the survival of the fittest thing kinda takes overt, as these drunken males/heavy drinkers usually end up face down in the sea and everyone else wonders why.....isnt the kind of future that invites any intelligent form of female life. even the cats disappear just before the face down swim.....

Tags
living aboard