Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 10:21   #31

Boat: 1990 Irwin 43 CC
Re: Any Women Living Aboard ?

I would think that drinking is definitely more common in seafaring types. If meant literally, a bottle of tequila a day is definitely excessive. But I would think that my wife and I are drinking about 2-3 glasses of wine a night, most nights, which comes to about a bottle.
Once you go beyond that, on a regular basis, it is not fun any more.
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:39   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as for being the sole live aboard female-- there are many things much worse in life than that--- is a good way to get work done and is a great way to know protection from outside influences. granted the conversations willbe stilted, as solo males tend to bluster the conversation and brag on their alleged skills, which is a red flag to any intelligent life form.....
you will always be offered a beer and will be invited to the fish cookouts when they catch the whale they sought at sea in fishing frenzies.....and they make for great entertainment....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:14   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-and-Boo View Post
I am shopping for a boat; heading over to Grasonville, MD to look over a couple of boats this week/end. Once the boat is purchased it will be home for me and Boo. 'course it will be me (brain and outlook of a 40 year old woman - chronologically over the double nickle). I hope to find a marina where I would not be the only single woman.
I'm well past double-nickels and I live on my boat, alone, in a marina. There are a couple of other women living on boats here, one on a power boat and one on a sail boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I'm well past double-nickels and I live on my boat, alone, in a marina. There are a couple of other women living on boats here, one on a power boat and one on a sail boat.
most of the young ones are allergic to boats and the lifestyle involved-i am a bonafide antique and love every minuet of it.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Ha Myself and two other hum mature single women are living on boats where I am at the moment. I've been living on a sailboat most of the last 8 years and loved every minute of it. Well there were a few days when the wind was up but I take it all as it comes. I know of a few other single women who live on boats. A few in their 30's-40's. Most though are in their 50's-60's.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:46   #36

Boat: 45' Horstman Tri-Star
Build it? Heck no, I don't even know the first thing about sailing, let alone building boats. I just do what the Captain tells me to do in all things sailing-related. I'm learning, not teaching!
SeaHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 15:54   #37

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
marina mazatlan has exactly 2 ladies in residence on board their own boats. we are both a lil older than many of the live aboard men. less drunk than most of the liveaboard men.
what is it about living aboard that attracts drunken males?????
there is just something about a guy who drinks somewhere in the neighborhood of a liter (quart)of vodka or tequila daily that turns me totally off......
I think men drink to relieve them selfs of pain whether it be from mental anguish or that slave driven day that preceded the function, all related to the amount of pain they're in. It's a bit like chocolate in a woman's hand. Both have a soothing affect. Whereas, sugar & alcohol have very similar molecular structures. So, one addiction is about the same as the other. For every drunken man you'll find a fat lady.
Old 15-09-2011, 16:10   #38

delmarrey--not all women loving chocolate and actually eating it are fat........i aint fat......but i ration my dark chocolate carefully. i have self control ....kinda
Old 15-09-2011, 16:25   #39
cruiser

Quote:
most of the young ones are allergic to boats and the lifestyle involved-i am a bonafide antique and love every minuet of it.
I think there's a time for everything. When I was in my 20's I was focused on my career and social life. We all had parties and a boat isn't well suited for that. For that matter, I lived in St. Louis -- not a lot of sailing in St. Louis! It's possible, but not easy.

I've been married, had my children and seen them grow up, been widowed, had my big medical wake-up call and at double 6's ready to live now rather than later.

IMO anyone who doesn't get that lacks imagination.
Old 15-09-2011, 16:28   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Ha Myself and two other hum mature single women are living on boats where I am at the moment. I've been living on a sailboat most of the last 8 years and loved every minute of it. Well there were a few days when the wind was up but I take it all as it comes. I know of a few other single women who live on boats. A few in their 30's-40's. Most though are in their 50's-60's.
I'm lucky there. The marina I'm in is well sheltered. I stayed on the boat for a big storm that sent dozens of boats aground in the area. One time the boat did heal 30 degrees in the slip (that was impressive!) but for the most part it was rather pleasant rocking.

In fact I wish for storms because my brain has learned to tune out the gentle rocking. I just looked out in the cockpit, and the boat is actually moving a fair bit, but I just don't notice it any more -- and I miss it.
Old 15-09-2011, 16:29   #41
cruiser

Quote:
delmarrey--not all women loving chocolate and actually eating it are fat........i aint fat......but i ration my dark chocolate carefully. i have self control ....kinda
Don't get toooo extreme there on the self-control ... life is meant to be lived, ya know!
Old 15-09-2011, 16:39   #42

i need to keep enough for the flavor until november when my saviours come back from san diego with MORE!!!!!! unless they eat it on the way.......

i was in st louis when i was 18-21. creve coeur. that was NOT living.....
Old 15-09-2011, 16:48   #43

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
marina mazatlan has exactly 2 ladies in residence on board their own boats. we are both a lil older than many of the live aboard men. less drunk than most of the liveaboard men.
what is it about living aboard that attracts drunken males?????
there is just something about a guy who drinks somewhere in the neighborhood of a liter (quart)of vodka or tequila daily that turns me totally off......
They are known as "booze cruisers". I'm sure every warm port with cheap booze has a few.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 16:50   #44

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
as for being the sole live aboard female-- there are many things much worse in life than that--- is a good way to get work done and is a great way to know protection from outside influences. granted the conversations willbe stilted, as solo males tend to bluster the conversation and brag on their alleged skills, which is a red flag to any intelligent life form.....
you will always be offered a beer and will be invited to the fish cookouts when they catch the whale they sought at sea in fishing frenzies.....and they make for great entertainment....
Zee I like the cut of your jib.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 16:52   #45
cruiser

Quote:
i need to keep enough for the flavor until november when my saviours come back from san diego with MORE!!!!!! unless they eat it on the way.......

i was in st louis when i was 18-21. creve coeur. that was NOT living.....
Creve Coeur is probably not an 18 year old's dream location, but that area is fantastic for raising a family, and there's a lot to do in St. Louis. I was just back there for a wedding, went to the Japanese Festival at the Botanical Gardens. Didn't get to the zoo, darn it, but the new penguin exhibit is spectacular (take a jacket; it's cold in there).

It's a really tough area if you're single and from somewhere else. the first question at a party is "What high school did you go to?" Remember that? I would name a high school in Florida and get a blank stare ...

On the other hand, St. Louis is the home of toasted ravioli.

Tags
living aboard