Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2018, 12:37   #1

Boat: Nautilus, 37'
Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

After my second deployment, I found I wasn't happy. I sold everything after my divorce and bought my nautilus 37 pilothouse and moved aboard for a short time and loved it. I was finally in my happy place. Well, fast forward to now. I got married and live back on the hard and have not started cruising or living aboard again. Does anyone else have this itch to get back on the water? I recently quit my job, started writing, and designing web pages so I can do what I think I was meant to do. Now I just have to convince my wife....

Im just curious, do other vets out there share this urge with me? What about spouses trying to convince their better halves to start this adventure?

My strategy is to plan everything out and show her that it all will work out. Im going to do that by blogging and working remotely while writing up a semi detailed plan of what I want to do. Any other pointers on how to convince her? Any other vets need help to enjoy this freedom? Thanks!
Old 21-07-2018, 13:12   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

I think you will find that none of these issues are unique to vets, they are all common issues which have been discussed here, but I suspect there are vets here who can weigh in on them.

Convincing the spouse is a common theme...
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 14:24   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

My wife and I are vets and we live on the boat.

But for the OP I would start by asking her. Then if she isn't hip to it find out why and see what comprises you can work out. If it comes to "talking her into it" you might want to just talking about as ex-wife #2
Old 21-07-2018, 15:13   #4

The wife actually doesnt mind the idea of living on a boat, she just wants a bigger one. And the whole idea of quitting her job scares her but i told her there are opportunities for nurses to consult so hopefully i can convince her!
Old 21-07-2018, 15:25   #5

What area are you going to live aboard ? Might be less places to live aboard than your 1st time.
....Are you going to cruise or stay in one marina ?
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 15:54   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Your 37 is plenty big enough move to the Seattle area they are begging for nurses all over the puget sound . She can get a part time got and you guys can cruise the sound and San Juans for years and never get bored. It will also either give her the bug to cut the lines or become ex #2 . Your in Vancouver I can put a crew together to help bring your nautilus around and it would only take a couple days( 3 days most likely) all of us are full timers and vets. Pm me if interested.
Rob SV Stephfen Ulysses
Old 21-07-2018, 15:58   #7

I'm a vet that is itching to get to retirement, buy a boat, and become a cruising liveaboard. If things go well economically/financially, I should be buying the boat in ~5 years and retiring to the lifestyle the following year. No spouse to convince of anything at the moment though...
jlcnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 16:18   #8

Awesome! are you service connected? This is a pretty darn good goal right?
Old 21-07-2018, 16:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Your 37 is plenty big enough move to the Seattle area they are begging for nurses all over the puget sound . She can get a part time got and you guys can cruise the sound and San Juans for years and never get bored. It will also either give her the bug to cut the lines or become ex #2 . Your in Vancouver I can put a crew together to help bring your nautilus around and it would only take a couple days( 3 days most likely) all of us are full timers and vets. Pm me if interested.
Rob SV Stephfen Ulysses
Im right there with you ! Im trying to convince her of this. Might need to do a little remodel on the boat, since it has two quarter berths and a v birth. Gotta make an enclosed room (or something like it) for the baby and the 6 year old. Im so close to convincing her... just gotta get everything written down on paper.
Old 21-07-2018, 16:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnserr View Post
What area are you going to live aboard ? Might be less places to live aboard than your 1st time.
....Are you going to cruise or stay in one marina ?
Right now my boat is in bremerton, and we have ways around the liveaboard status since we also have a family home there.
Old 21-07-2018, 16:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgonzalez262 View Post
Awesome! are you service connected? This is a pretty darn good goal right?
Yeah, I was medically discharged.

I tried sailing a number of times over the years, but didn't get the itch until I did a liveaboard dive trip. Living on the sailboat for a week in the Bahamas kinda sealed it for me. I've always loved the ocean and the water (one of the reasons I went in the Navy actually), and I enjoyed sailing every time I'd done it, I just didn't ever think of it as a lifestyle that a person could have until I woke up on a boat in the Exumas.
jlcnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 16:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Im right there with you ! Im trying to convince her of this. Might need to do a little remodel on the boat, since it has two quarter berths and a v birth. Gotta make an enclosed room (or something like it) for the baby and the 6 year old. Im so close to convincing her... just gotta get everything written down on paper.
ok now I see your issue and here is the cure .
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...s#.W1PF9JtlBxA
And I can personally vouch for the quality of spencers.
Old 21-07-2018, 16:50   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Right now my boat is in bremerton, and we have ways around the liveaboard status since we also have a family home there.
really what Marina? I'm in railway in port orchard
Old 21-07-2018, 17:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
really what Marina? I'm in railway in port orchard
Nice! Im actually at bremerton marina! My family has been Bremerton yacht club members forever, and I am about to join there but still prob gunna keep my boat at bremerton marina. I like the amenities. Im actually gunna be up there all week, putting in my heat exchanger and diagnosing why she isnt starting..... along with a whole other list of chores...
Old 21-07-2018, 17:20   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nice! Im actually at bremerton marina! My family has been Bremerton yacht club members forever, and I am about to join there but still prob gunna keep my boat at bremerton marina. I like the amenities. Im actually gunna be up there all week, putting in my heat exchanger and diagnosing why she isnt starting..... along with a whole other list of chores...
if you want I can take swing by and give you s hand getting her running .
Pm sent

Tags
living aboard