Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2016, 17:47   #1

Any Key's live-a-boards willing to give a tour of their boat/home?

I have wanted to live on a boat since my 20's but getting married and having kids before I was 21 prevented that from happening but I am slowly warming my wife up to the idea of living on a boat sometime in the next few years now that the kids are out of the house. The problem is; we've never been on a sailboat. We have traveled to the Keys numerous times and absolutely love it there and that's eventually where we want to end up. We will be visiting the Key's next weekend (8/27-8/30) and would love to step aboard a boat or two in the 30'-35' range, I am willing to supply some adult beverages for the trouble

We will be in Key West on 8/28 and 8/29 or Marathon/Islamorada on 8/29; leaving KW on 8/29, could visit in either KW, Marathon or Islamorada on that day.

Please reply to this thread or PM me if you're willing to allow us on-board.

P.S. We're mid-40's clean-cut professionals (that's a relative term of course ).
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 18:23   #2

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Any Key's live-a-boards willing to give a tour of their boat/home?

Grab a 6 pack each ( a $10 six pack ) and head out to the nearest marina, strike up a conversation with the Dock Master as he should know who's around and what they're up to. Nearly everyone wants to show off their boat.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 11:18   #3

Thanks SSgtPitt, if I don't get any takers I think I'll try that.
Old 23-08-2016, 18:14   #4

A little friendly bump.
Old 23-08-2016, 19:13   #5

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

Bumping back. I've been where you are, so please take my comments as helpful suggestions from experience.

Cruisers and Liveaboards are busy following their own agendas. There are too many tire kickers and time wasters out there and we've got a lot to do to follow our dream. If you want to get on a boat, go to a marina and talk with the dockmaster. He can direct you to the people willing to give you a little time.

We had never been on a sailboat either when we started our journey. We signed up for a day cruise on a monohull and then a catamaran. Both were owner operators making a buck on the side so they could get back to the open ocean. We spent our sail time with the owners asking a ton of questions and learning what we could. The other passengers were......passengers. We on the other hand made friends and followed the advice given. We now own our own 36' Cape Dory and are in the process of "50 and Shoving Off".

If you get to Corpus Christi, TX and are willing to lend a hand for your "boat time", look me up. I'll take you out and we can put the rails in the water. Corpus is ALWAYS 20+ knot winds.......Bring your own Barf bags.
Old 24-08-2016, 19:55   #6

Thanks for the info SSgtPitt, I appreciate any input I can get. If I ever get down to CC I will definitely look you up.

Given the weather that could be headed towards the Key's I am positive everyone is busy now, good luck if you live there
Old 27-08-2016, 18:34   #7
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

hey I give you guys a ride in the wind, I am in Panama city beach kinda far out but if you run up here anytime let me know. DOug
doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 13:20   #8

Thanks for the offer Doug, but yeah, you're a little far If I ever get to your part of the state I'll let you know.

In the end we walked the docks and found a charter boat that wasn't doing anything that day and he gave a us a tour and a quick motor around the area (Sunset Key, Wisteria Island, Fleming Key, etc.) for a reduced rate. The first 30 minutes was torrential rain but then the sun came out and we had a great time. The wife is sold and we are currently discussing the plan to move aboard...
Old 02-09-2016, 18:05   #9

Congratulations on a mission well accomplished. And it sounds like it didn't even take a 6-pack.
That's how Heidi and I started, a couple of day charters and we were hooked as well.
Old 04-09-2016, 15:26   #10

It took a little more than a six pack (we did have to pay him ) but it was WELL worth it. The wife has agreed not to renew our lease on July 1 of next year

Let the planning begin!
Old 04-09-2016, 19:08   #11

a toast then, may you find as much happiness and joy in your search, purchase and customization of your vessel as you do in the maintenance, prep work and subsequent voyaging. To fair winds and calm seas.
Old 01-10-2016, 00:14   #12

Hey Chili Palmer, if you´re looking at the Keys, there are plenty of marinas that allow liveaboards. The slip rents are high in Key West (really high) but there are good marinas such as Stock Island Marina Village and Safe Harbor Marina that are more reasonable. Marathon has lower rates but you may prefer being closer to Key West. Good luck with your plans.
cees klumper is offline   Reply With Quote