Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 13:12   #1

anchoring laws and restrictions

I'm a newbie to sailing and this forum. A dream of mine is to cruise around South America and the Carribean and anchor in the bay for up to a week or so at each location and take the dingy in. How do laws govern where you can anchor in a bay and access public beaches or docks. After my dream is complete I would like to continue living on the boat off and on in Southern Cal. Does it work any different there? One last question (same type scenario), but inland on the Tennessee River. Our waterway laws are enforced by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency and dock permits are required on land through TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority). Anyone know what the laws for anchoring in a cove and taking a dingy to a public dock? Any other feedback would be appreciated as I know nothing even after doing online searches.
Thanks
K
kkugley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 13:20   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
kkugley welcome aboard. St. Augustine, FL has a city dock and you pay to land a dingy. Near the lighthouse, Salt Run, there is a floating dock near a boat ramp and that is free. In Daytona, FL there is a dock on the ICW near a boat ramp and bridge that is free. In the Bahamas, there is a $300 entry fee. Other areas would have to come from other forum members.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 14:07   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I am afraid your question is a bit too broad for an answer. I know of no laws regarding anchoring in the Caribbean or central or South America. Cities and municipalities in the US try to set up anchoring restrictions but like Floriduh, the courts are striking them down. Landing a dinghy can be done at almost any public place but landing on private property could get you in trouble. Every state, town, county or country can be different.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 14:41   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, K.

Welcome to Cruisers Forum.

In the eastern Caribbean, you can pretty much anchor anywhere you want to. There are exceptions, such as channels to commercial or ferry docks, but those are obvious. On most of the islands here (in fact I know of no exceptions), the beaches belong to the people, so you can beach your dinghy and enjoy a swim, a picnic, and a walk on the beach. Just observe the rules of common decency--no trash, respect people's privacy, etc.
Old 11-07-2008, 15:31   #5

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Here in socal (San Diego specifically) things are somewhat different. The last free anchorage is being closed down and you have to either moor, pay for an anchorage (or the anchorages are limited time only) or mooring buoy or rent a slip somewhere. What they do to stop you anchoring our overnight I don't know but you'll find the harbor full of people on fast boats with big guns mounted on the front....

Personally I think this sucks but it does mean that most of the boats in the bay have insurance which I guess is a plus when there are thousands of boats in this one small area.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 16:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How do laws govern where you can anchor in a bay and access public beaches or docks.
It is different everywhere. It's not a bad thing just makes everything an adventure. There are a few places you may go where they require that you use a mooring and moorings may be charged for or not. Cruising guides are most helpful if you go to an area you have never been to before. I really don't know of any place that charges to anchor but there are places where anchoring is prohibited.

Quote:
theonecalledtom
Is the anchorage in Shelter Island that used to only be open on weekends gone now? I assume the time limited anchorage at Coranado is is still limited. It's such a nice spot who would ever leave? I found it odd that there is such a limited number of places in San Diego. It's almost like you could say there are only 25 spots to anchor a boat in a city so large. I also found that spending a week on Shelter island was the largest forest of masts I have ever seen any place I have been.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 16:36   #7

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
You can still park up in Coronado with advance notice and the limited time anchorages still exist at Shelter Island and at the entrance to Mission Bay (actually I haven't confirmed that). The coast down here is pretty exposed too so anchoring out of the bay is not good fr the long term.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 17:12   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
you'll find the harbor full of people on fast boats with big guns mounted on the front....

These guys are starting to irritate the crap out of me. Always pulling everyone over and doing *nothing* for safety on the water. They're just official pirates! Where did they come from all of a sudden??
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 17:27   #9

Thanks for all the info. These are just ideas now. A firefighter position in Southern Cal. looks pretty inviting since we have many days off at a time and I could cruise on those days and avoid the high property costs. I do want to travel internationally for a year or so first though.
Thanks again for the info.
K
kkugley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:25   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I didn't think you guys got days off......

what with all the fires in the state. Stay safe out there and thank you.....m
Old 12-07-2008, 17:26   #11

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Is the anchorage in Shelter Island that used to only be open on weekends gone now? I assume the time limited anchorage at Coranado is is still limited. It's such a nice spot who would ever leave? I found it odd that there is such a limited number of places in San Diego. It's almost like you could say there are only 25 spots to anchor a boat in a city so large. I also found that spending a week on Shelter island was the largest forest of masts I have ever seen any place I have been.
The area that is going to be closed is between Harbor Island and down town San Diego...very close to the Coast Guard's main building on Harbor Drive...I think it's called A-8 or A-9.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring