Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 20:02   #16

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Anchoring fee's in the caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterpuppy View Post
So you have to pay to anchor in the BVI's but not in other area's?

No, the BVIs are so full of mooring balls it is hard to fine a place to anchor.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 20:31   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne.
Since when? I anchored there this past spring and there was no charge. And yes, it was overnight.
Old 04-09-2014, 21:42   #18

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Anchoring and access to a dinghy dock are two different things. It is common for the cost of a mooring ball to include access to a dinghy dock and sometimes other facilities. Often for a sometimes small discount you can anchor and have access to dock, showers, washing machines close to the dinghy dock.

If you are just anchoring for the night it is normally free.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:25   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Since when? I anchored there this past spring and there was no charge. And yes, it was overnight.
Since at least 1990 when I first went there. Lots of posts in CF and other sites re fee for anchoring here. If you didn't pay, you got away with it. Just google this:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=no+na...m=122&ie=UTF-8

here's a cruising guide excerpt:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=OFMJ...%20fee&f=false
Old 05-09-2014, 07:09   #20
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Maybe you weren't actually inside No Name Harbor? I think there is a sign on the way in. If you went ashore, you saw the pay box.

Also, there is supposed to be a line (marker buoys) in north Lake Worth. One side, you are supposed to pay to anchor. The other side is free.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 16:49   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

So that is maybe 2

Seems a small number to go all chicken little on

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-09-2014, 14:17   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Maybe you weren't actually inside No Name Harbor? I think there is a sign on the way in. If you went ashore, you saw the pay box.

Also, there is supposed to be a line (marker buoys) in north Lake Worth. One side, you are supposed to pay to anchor. The other side is free.

Ralph
I was absolutely inside. Didn't go ashore at all. Perhaps there is a charge for the restaurant or the docks, but not for anchoring. No sign when I was there.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-09-2014, 14:37   #23
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I'm pretty sure there is a very visible sign on your starboard side as you enter.

From Welcome to Florida State Parks

Camping, Boat

Visitors are allowed to anchor overnight in No Name Harbor for a fee of $20.00 per boat per night. Mooring to the seawall overnight is not permitted. During operating hours, visitors who have paid the overnight fee have access to coin operated laundry machines and a rinse shower. We also have a free pump out for all boats, a picnic shelter and restrooms. Boater's Grill is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Visitors arriving by boat but not anchoring overnight must pay a $8.00 entrance fee. The entrance fee and anchoring fee are both collected by honor system.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 15:21   #24

Boat: Beneteau 361

BVI does have a lot of mooring balls, for the before stated reasons. We have anchored successfully in most of the bays, although you will find many of the dive/snorkle sights "moored up" with very few options to anchor (can't anchor in National Park areas). There are many anchoring options available in the BVI, beyond where the traditional charter boats go. Regardless, there are no anchoring fees in USVI/Spanish Virgins/BVI as yet.

Talk to the local boaters, wherever you go, and they can give you tips.
mtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 16:29   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I'm pretty sure there is a very visible sign on your starboard side as you enter.

From Welcome to Florida State Parks

Camping, Boat

Visitors are allowed to anchor overnight in No Name Harbor for a fee of $20.00 per boat per night. Mooring to the seawall overnight is not permitted. During operating hours, visitors who have paid the overnight fee have access to coin operated laundry machines and a rinse shower. We also have a free pump out for all boats, a picnic shelter and restrooms. Boater's Grill is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Visitors arriving by boat but not anchoring overnight must pay a $8.00 entrance fee. The entrance fee and anchoring fee are both collected by honor system.

Ralph
I stand corrected. I'm certain there was no sign at the entrance and the NOAA charts do not indicate this is a state park...I am not from that area. Ignorance is no excuse, I know.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-09-2014, 17:35   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Anchoring Fee's in the Caribbean?

The BVI has many good anchorages. I run a charter boat here and generally anchor, but am delighted that most visitors use moorings. Yes, they do provide some revenue, but they are really there to save the sea bottom, to spare bareboaters the hazards of their own anchoring, and to put more boats in less space. But, almost every harbor has space for anchoring, if you know where to look; and there are so many anchorages with no moorings, I won't even begin to count 'em. But people tend to go where others do, and where the guidebooks say....voila, lots of boats in the same places, and those places have moorings. There are only four overnight anchorages where I lean toward using moorings, and those are Manchioneel Bay on Cooper Island, Soper's Hole on Tortola, and Great and Little Harbours on Jost Van Dyke. Otherwise, it's out with the Spade.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, Caribbean, fees, rib, caribbean