Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-02-2016, 10:15   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Anchoring East Coast USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
Agree. Forget about all the guides and pilot books.

Active Captain solves all of those issues.

I've done this trip three times and I wish someone would have told me about AC the first time.

Consider going direct Cape May to Block Island, unless you much see NYC.

NJ coast is difficult and not fun. There is virtually no ICW north of Cape May.

Active Captain integrates with your Nav program.
I certainly agree with the wealth of good information available on Active Captain, but I'm a little confused with the idea that the, "NJ coast is difficult and not fun." The trip along the coast of New Jersey is a simple straight shot from Cape May to Sandy Hook without obstruction, shoals or disturbing currents and would require the same concerns for monitoring the weather as the passage to Block Island,- 'just much shorter. Choices of inlets at Cape May, Absecon (Atlantic City), Manasquan, and Atlantic Highlands are short and simple.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement and your talking about the NJ ICW as being difficult, but the coast passage is simple with options for short hops.

Old 24-02-2016, 12:33   #32
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
........... There is virtually no ICW north of Cape May..
Not true.

Old 24-02-2016, 15:35   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Not true.
Rwidman is correct. We've taken many trips along this route and we sometimes sail from Cape May to Atlantic City and then take a few casual days anchoring out in the New Jersey ICW from Absecon Inlet, up through Barnegat Bay and back out at Manassquan Inlet. Everyone is obliged to take the outside route from there to Sandy Hook.

Cape May to Atlantic City is also available for those that can clear the low fixed bridge at, maybe 35'. I don't recall the actual height as it's off limits for me.

The run that I take from Absecon Inlet to the Point Pleasant Canal is not an opportunity for those with more than a 4'3" draft. I should also point out that I have not taken this inside route after the "Sandy" storm so I'm not confident that the passage will still allow my 4'3" draft. I usually would plow though about 50 yards of very soft mud at about a 4' depth just north of the Manalooking Bridge.
Old 24-02-2016, 16:17   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Rwidman is correct. We've taken many trips along this route and we sometimes sail from Cape May to Atlantic City and then take a few casual days anchoring out in the New Jersey ICW from Absecon Inlet, up through Barnegat Bay and back out at Manassquan Inlet. Everyone is obliged to take the outside route from there to Sandy Hook.

Cape May to Atlantic City is also available for those that can clear the low fixed bridge at, maybe 35'. I don't recall the actual height as it's off limits for me.

The run that I take from Absecon Inlet to the Point Pleasant Canal is not an opportunity for those with more than a 4'3" draft. I should also point out that I have not taken this inside route after the "Sandy" storm so I'm not confident that the passage will still allow my 4'3" draft. I usually would plow though about 50 yards of very soft mud at about a 4' depth just north of the Manalooking Bridge.
If you count miles, the stretch from Cape May to Manasquan is maybe 110 miles vs over 1100 from Norfolk to Key West plus 1500 miles or so on the Gulf ICW. When you also consider much of the NJICW isn't accessible to larger boats then it could be said that there isn't much ICW north of VA, relatively speaking.
Old 24-02-2016, 16:33   #35
cruiser

Active Captain was a great help on my trip from VA to FL. I find it has anchorages which aren't mentioned in other guides.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, east coast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: