Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2015, 08:18   #1

Anchorage in Key West

I am thinking about moving my 58' motorsailor down to Key West. I cannot afford to stay in a marina. I would like to anchor for several weeks somewhere within dinghy reach of the city. I have heard there are some decent areas to anchor near Wisteria Island? My boat draws 6"4". Any recommendations.?
CaptainSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 08:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Anchorage in Key West

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sandy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 09:15   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

The anchorage over there is a little iffy. I would be worried about leaving the boat very often or for long. There is a better free anchorage closer to town, a bit rough sometimes but safer I think. There are a good number of anchored out boats over behind the islands but some look very derelict.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 09:27   #4

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Recently asked the same question, though added that I would be rowing in. There seems to be many boats there but options are limited.

You may find this thread of value.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...in-154510.html
Old 28-10-2015, 09:44   #5

These folks were there recently:

http://sundownersailsagain.com/tag/key-west/
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 10:27   #6

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

We were there last January (6' draft, but 6'4" would be OK) and found decent anchorage to the NE of the town/city in the lee of Dredgers Key - We went around the top of Fleming Key, turned south toward the moorings, then nosed our way east towards the RV/Camp ground on Dredger Key, anchoring off the Key's SW side, there are /were a few permanently anchored boats over there; we were warned (Active Captain) that the holding was poor, but whilst we found some weed there, by digging in carefully and backing down hard on the anchor, we had no problems with the holding. No anchorage seems to be a short dinghy ride from town, but if you go slowly/carefully from there, you can run directly south from the anchorage to the marina's entrance channel (east of the small island) so it's no further than the trip from the moorings in that area.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 09:37   #7

Boat: Scout 30

Based upon recent threads a mooring in Boot Key sounds like the way to go in the Keys.

Anchorage, Mooring, Dockage, and Dinghy Info | City of Marathon Official Website

https://activecaptain.com/quickLists...FL&i=075846751
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 10:33   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
short dinghy ride from town, but if you go slowly/carefully from there, you can run directly south from the anchorage to the marina's entrance channel (east of the small island) so it's no further than the trip from the moorings in that area.
What do you use for a dinghy dock, rest rooms, showers and laundry? The moorings have their own dinghy dock and you can't use it unless you are paying for a mooring and get the combo. Are you talking about going all the way to the downtown docks from the far side of the mooring field?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:00   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Been years since I stayed there, but the mooring field was not a bad deal at the time. Pump out boat, some amenities ashore, even launcha service as I recall, but, like most of the KW anchorage areas, poor protection in a cold front...getting back to the boat and aboard in rough weather was a very wet experience.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:04   #10

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
What do you use for a dinghy dock, rest rooms, showers and laundry? The moorings have their own dinghy dock and you can't use it unless you are paying for a mooring and get the combo. Are you talking about going all the way to the downtown docks from the far side of the mooring field?
No, you can use the marina/mooring field's dinghy dock, as I remember it was $5/day - you need to go to the office and pay before leaving it on the d-dock though.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:26   #11

$6 a day according to kw web site
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 21:24   #12

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

anchoring north of the mooring field is ok. it's a bit of a ride into the dinghy dock. yu can pay for dinghy dockage and get showers and use of the washing machines altho it better to go over to white and united streets for laundry...better machines and cheaper, has a dell too. short bike ride or cab. the holding isn't too bad use 10+ to 1 scope and back down hard along with a second anchor setting east to west. zero protection NNE to W wind 12+ knots wind will get you soaked on the way out to the boat. pump out is through "pump out florida keys" at pi-keys.com" you have to register with them and it's free, once a week. very is the same around wisteria except the wake from the para-sail boats and the tidal current that will ride you up on your anchor less than 12 knot opposing winds. the bottom is about a foot thick before you hit hardpan coral underneath. so use plenty of scope. late Oct. to early February is when the NW blows come in. Give of take a few weeks at either end.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 04:40   #13

Boat: 2001 Catalina 400 MKII
Send a message via MSN to CCR2580

Sign up for Active Captain! Just go to their website....it's free and has all types of valuable information.
CCR2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 11:03   #14

Go with bobnlesley advice, I concur been in Garrison Bight mooring field eight years. Monthly mooring ball $325.00. Best deal in town. They clean buoy's with high pressure water spray, visually inspect, and film to record mooring connections underwater every four months. I personally never have had any thing stolen off of the boat except bikes up at the bike rack. They like 15 horse power out board motors at the dinghy dock. Must lock them up to pier cable.
jamestholtzinge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, key west