Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 18:45   #1

American International liveaboards/cruisers

I’m not a live aboard yet but I think it would be my ideal arrangement once I retire. However, one of my concerns is with security and visiting foreign countries. It seems to me that a floating fiberglass structure is an easy target and hard to safeguard from hostile intruders. I live in south Florida and would plan on travels to the Caribbean islands, Mexico and South America but I’m hesitant with dealing with foreign Officials and concerns over safety.
I would like to hear your stories of close calls or strange encounter that you have personally experienced and how you handled the situation and plan to prevent it.
I’m also curious to hear from Americans that live aboard in foreign countries and their reasons for living overseas. Maybe state some advantages of living aboard as an American citizen in the U.S.A versus a foreign country or vice versa.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
alfnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 20:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Well if you live in south FL I assume you are careful not to wander into certain parts of Miami at 3:00 am on a Saturday night. Same thing for certain burroughs of NYC. Same thing for most parts of the world.

Use a little common sense, research specific areas before you go (ask other cruisers, people who have been there recently) and go have fun. Most places are as safe as south Florida, or as dangerous. All that being said, there are some places to avoid at any time, like Somalia these days. Closer to home Venezuela has been problematic lately. Check out the situation when you're ready to go.

Liveaboard in the US: you speak the language, know the customs, could be a crime victim.

Liveaboard outside the US: learn new language, learn new customs, may be cheaper, could be a crime victim.

If you are retirement age you might want to research medical care in the areas you will cruise. Some spots may be a long way from good trauma care or an ICU.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote