Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-12-2015, 18:42   #91

Re: Am I spoiled or truly burned out?

Its an age old conundrum. Have seen many folks make different decisions about this. Worked with a guy who spent years in Thailand having a great time, only to return to the US at 50 with a wife and kid to have to start back at beginner's pay and face huge price increases in everything over the years he was gone. He has one bad attitude and a big regret.
On the other hand, A friend of mine quit "the rat race" and decided to build harpsichords. Poor but happy. A third acquaintance ran off to sail the world, got to Norway, fell in love, and now has a thriving export business. Happy as a clam and many times wealthier.

As long as you can be philosophical about life, poverty should not bother you. But, the bigger truth is do the adventure while you are very young and then settle down if that is what pulls your strings. Then you will smell interesting to people and will be more mature about what you want out of life. Tip of the hat to Robin Graham.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:05   #92

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

I have had my ass handed to me more than once attempting to work under stress. Then I decided to sell out and move to Mexico. Now I live more with less. We are not promised time. You are correct 7 years is a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 01-03-2016, 10:15   #93

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I guess life style is a personal preference. What works for one does not work for all.
Old 02-03-2016, 18:32   #94

I don't know if you are still reading OP, but I was in a similar situation a few years back. I managed to do a hybrid plan. 1. Stay employed. 2. Get the boat. 3. Work on, play on, pay for boat. Live the life a bit with a Pay check. Then start thinking of retirement decisions. As things worked out for me, I grudgingly sold that boat. But I still have a plan and when I go I won't ever have to worry about work again. I have moved about every 2 or 3 years. ...never had a bad assignment.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-03-2016, 19:01   #95

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I haven't read through all the posts on the thread, but I was wondering if you could do a lateral move somehow and not have to deal with the same amount of stress you have in your current job.
That's probably the first thing I'd look for.
Old 02-03-2016, 20:05   #96

The old saying that it is always greener on the other side of the fence is particularly true when your side of the fence sucks. If your reason for accelerating retirement is that you hate your job, change that.

Having semi-retired myself 20 years ago (that only lasted about a year), I have concluded that you can't go from the fast lane to the slow lane overnight, especially if you enjoy driving in the fast lane.

As for financial considerations, if your needs can be met with the money you have, don't keep working to get more money. On the other hand, since you described the experience of spending only half of what you earned as a painful sacrifice, don't quit working if the additional money would increase your enjoyment of life, all the more reason to keep working.
Old 02-03-2016, 20:25   #97

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Money only becomes important when you don't have enough.

Trouble is, most people spend their lives chasing the dollars, but have no idea what to do with them. End up wasting all those dollars, all those years, to buy trinkets and crap.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:18   #98

The major problem I see is you are treating it as a one time two option question.

My suggestion is to make a plan that is open to what the world throws at you and then work the plan:
- Stay with your current job for the time being but make the best of it. Sometimes just having a plan makes things better. If you reasonably think you can get the pension, that is a huge benefit.
- Start looking for oppurtunities to move to a more desirable position within the organization. You are young and single. Get a cheap boat and if they send you overseas, sell it and treat it as an adventure. There will always be more used boats to buy.
- Are any of your skills transferable to the private sector? I wasn't in the military but I did a jump from a govt job to the private sector as they could offer me the flexibility to work remotely.
- Start developing a secondary career. Ideally one that can be done remotely. If it takes off, you can quit with a secondary income to carry you thru.
- Get an inexpensive local boat and enjoy your free time as the plan moves forward.
- Finally if it just gets too bad to deal with, you can always chuck the job and sail off but that would be way down on the list of options.

While I agree with going as soon as you can, don't do it at the expense of all you've built up. For every guy who dies at 40, there are 10 living in squallor at 70.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:06   #99

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
The old saying that it is always greener on the other side of the fence is particularly true when your side of the fence sucks. If your reason for accelerating retirement is that you hate your job, change that.

Having semi-retired myself 20 years ago (that only lasted about a year), I have concluded that you can't go from the fast lane to the slow lane overnight, especially if you enjoy driving in the fast lane.

As for financial considerations, if your needs can be met with the money you have, don't keep working to get more money. On the other hand, since you described the experience of spending only half of what you earned as a painful sacrifice, don't quit working if the additional money would increase your enjoyment of life, all the more reason to keep working.
Good advise as long as a large inflation factor is considered with living on money on hand.
Old 16-06-2016, 08:33   #100

Boat: Sold Catalina 250
Am I spoiled or truly burned out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The major problem I see is you are treating it as a one time two option question.

My suggestion is to make a plan that is open to what the world throws at you and then work the plan:
- Stay with your current job for the time being but make the best of it. Sometimes just having a plan makes things better. If you reasonably think you can get the pension, that is a huge benefit.
- Start looking for oppurtunities to move to a more desirable position within the organization. You are young and single. Get a cheap boat and if they send you overseas, sell it and treat it as an adventure. There will always be more used boats to buy.
- Are any of your skills transferable to the private sector? I wasn't in the military but I did a jump from a govt job to the private sector as they could offer me the flexibility to work remotely.
- Start developing a secondary career. Ideally one that can be done remotely. If it takes off, you can quit with a secondary income to carry you thru.
- Get an inexpensive local boat and enjoy your free time as the plan moves forward.
- Finally if it just gets too bad to deal with, you can always chuck the job and sail off but that would be way down on the list of options.

While I agree with going as soon as you can, don't do it at the expense of all you've built up. For every guy who dies at 40, there are 10 living in squallor at 70.

I like the small boat idea. I was working a a job I hated under contract. I could get out and drop a six figure income.
I decided to buy a small boat in San Diego and fly in every weekend. I booked the flights two weeks ahead.
Yes, it cost money however if I did not do this, quitting this position would have been necessary.
It turned out the boat was named after a life boat, James Caird.
It was only 25 foot and it saved my life twice.

Old 16-06-2016, 10:07   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
I like the small boat idea. I was working a a job I hated under contract. I could get out and drop a six figure income.
I decided to buy a small boat in San Diego and fly in every weekend. I booked the flights two weeks ahead.
Yes, it cost money however if I did not do this, quitting this position would have been necessary.
It turned out the boat was named after a life boat, James Caird.
It was only 25 foot and it saved my life twice.

Of course there is always the option of dying young, thus doing what you want to do without worrying about growing old and poor. Works for many adventurous folks.
Old 16-06-2016, 10:25   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

So what was the final decision?

Check out blog for post entitled "The Best Advice". Not quite the same as yours but inspired to write a bit because of your question.

Look forward to hearing what you came up with.
Old 16-06-2016, 11:32   #103

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

ArmySailor,
Thank you for your service Sir! I, as a retired Squid, salute you Sir (Who would've thunk that could happen!) You've done your duty.

Was in the same position your are currently in, only I was much closer (1.5 years) away from completing my 20 in 1997. Took early retirement as an E-6 in the US Navy with slightly reduced full benefits percentage wise (Reserve time brought me close to the magical 20 number).

Sat at home for the next two weeks surfing from Hatteras Lighthouse up to Vah Beach, catching up on old movies, and working on my old MGB and clinker built boat. One morning I woke up and told my wife I need to get a job (I was bored of playing and didn't feel like I had a purpose).

Went out and got a job and ended up in Egypt teaching and training the Egyptian Navy Electical and Electronic systems on former US Naval ships under the auspices of the US AID program. 8-week contract turned into 10 years....and made a fortune. Walked away from it at that point and was financially VERY comfortable. Divorce in the States took care of that however. Then the tax laws changed and the IRS got involved and took care of most of the rest.

So, went from financially secure to damn near broke in about a 1-year period. My E-6 retirement pay of about $1100 gets saved every month as long as I have a job here in Egypt. Life circumstances can quickly change "out of the blue". I, like you, have to reach that magic age where Social Security kicks in and my 401K pays off. But I don't have as long to wait as you do (54 here).

I've just purchased an older boat as a liveaboard back in the States, part-time cruiser, and plan to repatriate to the States next year after being away for 19 years with just barely enough funds to live for a year without having to work (and that's a luxury that a lot of people don't have). Have no living family and no place to go in the States but it is time for me to come home and take advantage of those VA health benefits(The Big C), so a boat gives me the mobility that renting an apartment woudn't and a place to escape too when re-adapting to life in States gets to be too much.

I want to tell you to stick it out for the next 7-years, but not being in your shoes, in your position, I won't even attempt to recommend what you should do.

However, IF in the position that you are currently serving in somehow/someway improves the safety and quality of life of even one of our Army personnel, then what you are doing makes a difference to that foot soldier (and his family) out there doing what you were doing when you first signed up. Me, I'd feel honor bound to help and protect our troops.

Concerning options "A" and "B"....I say BS. You're an Army Officer. Army don't take a dump Boy without at least 6 alternative plans in place!
Old 18-06-2016, 11:38   #104

Original poster here - back on the thread and I've caught up on all the fantastic and thoughtful input. Spoiler alert - if you want an update keep reading, if you want to remain in suspense, close your browser NOW.

So at first I didn't do anything drastic and continued to grind it out at work. Horrible boss. Thankless work. However, I got a call from my career manager about an opportunity I should I apply for. There are very few opportunities in the Army like this, and they are very competitive, but I said what the hell. I applied.

Out of some hundred applicants - I made it to the final interviews. (What!? I know!)

The final interviews were conducted by civilians in Washington DC surrounding a speakerphone casually during lunchtime - while I was locked in my office, cranked up on coffee, at 6am local. With multiple signs on my office door "do NOT interrupt, if you enter - beware of the LEOPARD", etc. It was nerve wracking.

A day later I got the call - "The department said you're their guy - can you be here in 60 days"

YES. Damn yes.

So, ladies and gents. I have asked the cosmos for change and boy did I get it. For one year I will be working in the belly of the beast...Washington, D.C.. In civilian clothes. I get to grow a (neat) beard. No uniforms. No formations. No 0430 am physical training on sunday. No shitty boss who has never left Hawaii at all.

After the one year gig in DC, I have another 2 years obligated at a place to be determined. Many of the folks that do this stay in DC I think.

So...bad for boat ownership - I doubt I'll buy a boat only being in DC for one year with potential for a reassignment somewhere landlocked. But if I get to stay for another 2 years, I may look in to it.

After rounding the corner on this interesting assignment, my time until retirement will be much, much closer. I'm hopeful that this job will be something I love. If not - it's literally only 52 weeks. I can do anything for that long. Also, I'm working outside the Army, so it will be incredibly interesting.

So that's that! The fate has forked the road and turned the wheel.

(well, more accurately, my recent years of blood, sweat, and tears, have earned me good evaluations, which opened the door for me in this opportunity) "the harder I work, the luckier I get"

Thanks everybody for the input. I continue to peruse all the replies on my phone with the forum app...especially as I wait in numerous lines and waiting areas to out-process my duty station in Hawaii.

Adios and Aloha! Keep in touch.
Old 18-06-2016, 13:14   #105

Boat: islandpacket

If youe single there is a group in Annapolis maryland about 45 min from Dc called SOS singles on sailboats. A social and training group mixes single boat owners with single crew. Very nice people ,well most. I enjoyed it for awhile. Lot's of sailing opportunities close to DC Baltimore, Annapolis.
Best of luck

Tags
oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: