Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2015, 16:13   #61

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Am I spoiled or truly burned out?

Damn, this 70 year old sailor wishes he had your problems. Didn't they make a movie about you? ''Failure to launch''? At any rate, thank you for your service and good luck. You are going to win either way.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 16:35   #62

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

Army

A64 is giving you really good advice. You can plan all you want to, but having a check coming in every month and a champagne lifestyle beats racking your brain to try and figure out how you can squeeze an extra nickel out of a buck. Investments are great...until they aren't. You need A LOT of diversity ....and even more cash...in order to be economically independent.

And do the math....take the retirement check you will get when you leave in 7 years, then calculate the magic of compound interest and see what they check will be in 20,30, 40 years.

I do understand that 7 is not easy. And now, I really feel your pain. Definitely been there and done that with Congressional inquiries....worst, most worthless work I ever had to do.

SO.....

1. See if you can bounce this tour 1 year early. Often, you can. Keep talking with your detailer (are they detailers in the Army?.....whatever that person is).

2. Your hobbies and interests sound good....but...you need ones that fit this specific criteria: A hobby or interest you can do just outside your door, that can take just an hour, or, at your desire, several hours. That way, you can take a break, mini vacation, anytime you want to. One you can do solo, or with another person.

Hobbies and interests that take more time, tend to get done infrequently. You need to be able to get out the door and doing something PRONTO. Thus....the bike (ok, peddle if you must). Surfing, photography, running, hiking, walking. You sound as though you need frequent, convenient recreational breaks.

3. Start putting together some projects for yourself. You need to be able to focus your mind in another direction and be productive. Build an RC sailboat, build an AR (maybe not in HI), a custom 1911 (maybe not in HI), RC plane, models, help someone restore a boat, build a kit kayak.

A very good friend of mine was also preoccupied with sailing. He actually went to the extent of putting a sign on his computer "Stop thinking of boats." He later was promoted to be the CO of a major command outside the beltway. Great retirement.....he sails now.

Best way to find a new hobby or interest....go to the BX/PX, go to the magazine section.... buy every mag that catches your eye (except any sailing mag). Take them home, begin reading. Explore new things. Get your GF involved.

4. Get some motivation. Realize why you took a commission in the first place. GO to someone's retirement ceremony. Read the bio of someone you admire (Patton?...IDK....any Army guy :O))))....all the same to me :O))))))

Hang in there, Soldier. Maintain a sense of humor. And....remember..>BOHICA!
Old 29-11-2015, 18:41   #63

Boat: Boatless

Ok, can I weigh in here? :-)

I "retired" at about the same age. Several of my friends did as well. We were all primarily real estate investors and had built portfolios that could sustain themselves. I'll spare the details.

First lesson I learned, retirement lasted about two years for each of us (now, on our "big" trip we were gone for 10 years but that being said always maintained a "hybrid" business life). Every guy I knew, after sailing all they could sail, golfing all the could, got to a point of "what's the point". In our 40's is still prime time for goodness sake.

You sound very frugal and that is very admirable. That being said if planning on 2000/2500 per month income need to think 5K per month for LONG HAUL which necessitates a net worth around 1.2-1.5M (I would argue 3M to be safe). By safe I mean you meet a gal, get married, a kid or two.....it's up to 5-7.5K per month easy even living aboard.

Second lesson for me was again that idea of "Hybrid". Sailing was great for 3-4 months, then business for 2-3 months, then RVing for a month or two. Then rinse and repeat. I love knowing that something "new" is coming and when it does I embrace it and work it, as time goes by the "next" challenge, etc, etc.

The final lesson personally was purpose. Why are we "doing this". We've found great pleasure in working to share this life with friends and hopefully impact communities where we travel. This is really the glue that makes longer cruising attractive and the opportunity to really reach out selflessly to experience life with people around the world. Ok, kum by ahh speech over but worth a mention :-)

Love your heart for what you're doing and your courage to put it out there and gather wisdom! Look forward to catching up!
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 19:24   #64

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

ArmySailor,

I've been wondering whether this current girlfriend is a keeper? Because, if she isn't, she has no part in this decision, but if she is, then how does she counsel you?

Does longevity run in your family, or is there a history of early deaths? Generally speaking, long living parents produce long living children.

The lure of security is powerful, and having more $$ later in life can smooth many bumps, such as hiring help with the harder boatyard jobs, when you're creaky and the arthritis is bugging your shoulders, for instance.

Good luck with it. The choice between two things that are both positive values for you is one of the more difficult ones to make.

Ann
Old 29-11-2015, 23:42   #65

Boat: Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Ok, can I weigh in here? :-)

I "retired" at about the same age. Several of my friends did as well. We were all primarily real estate investors and had built portfolios that could sustain themselves. I'll spare the details.

First lesson I learned, retirement lasted about two years for each of us (now, on our "big" trip we were gone for 10 years but that being said always maintained a "hybrid" business life). Every guy I knew, after sailing all they could sail, golfing all the could, got to a point of "what's the point". In our 40's is still prime time for goodness sake.

You sound very frugal and that is very admirable. That being said if planning on 2000/2500 per month income need to think 5K per month for LONG HAUL which necessitates a net worth around 1.2-1.5M (I would argue 3M to be safe). By safe I mean you meet a gal, get married, a kid or two.....it's up to 5-7.5K per month easy even living aboard.

Second lesson for me was again that idea of "Hybrid". Sailing was great for 3-4 months, then business for 2-3 months, then RVing for a month or two. Then rinse and repeat. I love knowing that something "new" is coming and when it does I embrace it and work it, as time goes by the "next" challenge, etc, etc.

The final lesson personally was purpose. Why are we "doing this". We've found great pleasure in working to share this life with friends and hopefully impact communities where we travel. This is really the glue that makes longer cruising attractive and the opportunity to really reach out selflessly to experience life with people around the world. Ok, kum by ahh speech over but worth a mention :-)

Love your heart for what you're doing and your courage to put it out there and gather wisdom! Look forward to catching up!
-AKPRB: Greatly appreciate this. I'm not under any illusion that I'm just going to...sail off into the sunset. Forever. The post on this forum was just one attempt at outlining the very basics of what I've thought through and and written down these past 2 years as I considered my options and crafted my strategies.

Your lessons learned are sincerely appreciated. I see my future self in similar thoughts and feelings. I do have plans for an RV as well, in order to travel a boat on the non-water part of the earth ("Dry land is not a myth, I've seeeeen it!" -awful movie) including many friends and family. I have a massive family and could spend an entire 12 months visiting 20 different states. Anyway. My point is yes, hybrid indeed. Finding purpose and belonging in communities and family is very important to me. Sailing away, alone would be beneficial for part of any person, methinks, but there is more to life than just that.

As for frugality - a bit of technical bits. I don't mind sharing the nitty gritty of money so hope you don't care. As I've *never* lived on more than 3000 a month, I'm having a hard time figuring out when I would all of the sudden need to plan for 5K+. If safely being able to retire meant you should have 1m or more, this simply can't work. I have about 100K to start right out of the gate. With that, I can buy a modest boat (20-30K), modest RV (15K) while saving the rest of what remains of the 100K for large repairs or unexpected costs. My other pile of money is well diversified and can generate around 2500 per month, lowball.

With that large income generating stash, I just need to make it until age 59, wherein my hybrid army retirement kicks in, which is a result of the ~13 years of active duty I've served and tons of reserve time. That will net around 4500 per month age 60, with full medical and dental covered. That is in addition to whatever is left from the large kitty generating 2500 per month. Bottom line, I just need to make it to age 59, slide into home base (hell, i could be broke by that time it wouldn't matter, because I'll never spend 4500 a month!). So my funds just need to bridge from age 37 to 59. I won't need that 1 meeeeeeellion dollars. Hopefully that makes sense.

I should have been more clear perhaps in my post. I have secured a pension at age 60. It is more than enough. I just need to bridge until then. Doing...whatever I can to suck the marrow out of life.

Thank you again for your thoughts and time, and letting me interact online with people like you to grow as a person and learn myself.
I've wrote much about what my future self would want, need, and what he may do both daily and seasonally. It's a good exercise. Anyway. My semi-retirement would be just that, semi. I do plan on RV'ing around (I have family all over the country) as well as finding my place in various communities that I can help, and I'm of course even open to work if it suited me. I could even volunteer for short stints on active duty orders
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 00:40   #66

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34

You will always regret the things you don't do more than the things you choose to do! Options A!
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 06:58   #67

For me it has nothing to do with being spoiled or burned out. It is all about what we choose to do in the short bit of time we are alive on this beautiful planet. I have lost too many people very close to me long before their time should have been up. You come across as very disciplined, focus on your plan and make it work.
AtlasMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 08:12   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm going to tell you that the people telling you your going to need more money than you think are right, you may can live off of 2K a month, but you and a wife? How about a kid? OK so you meet the perfect Woman one day and she wants more than what 2K a month will give you, what then? I can tell you what then, you go back to work, that's what, or she has a kid that wants to go to College, a good kid, not some Bum, but a good kid, one you like personally and want to help out, how you going to do that with 2K a month?

There are many threads here that basically say that most Women see men living on a boat at a lower income, as a Bum on a boat. I am not denigrating anyone and don't mean to, but truth is ask many here, with a 2K income, you may not be that desirable to many of the opposite sex, so make sure your girlfriend is on board with that 2K a month thing, as many won't be.

But really what I can't get over is don't quit when your so close to the finish line, you have given them 13 yrs so far, finish the race and collect the prize.
BTW I was kidding about the Champagne lifestyle on 5K a month, that would require I believe a lot more than that, but your Military Retirement is worth more than 1 Mil, I can assure you.
Give these folks some specifics of what you would be giving up, I figure your an 04 now? An O5 over 20 will Retire with about $ 4,500 a month if they Retired tomorrow, and that is just the cash part, benefits are over and above that.
Am I wrong with my numbers, I just did a quick look.

So it's seven more years, which suck Vs $4,500 a month, every month, plus benefits, for the rest of your life.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 12:52   #69

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySailor View Post
Hi Folks, Lifelong cruisersforum lurker here. I've seen the "should I stay or should I go" questions a bergillion times, so I'll spare you that. Decision hath been decided upon by the decider....me. I'm going to buy a boat (of appropriate size, simplicity, and fit for purpose). I've been out and about enough to know I do actually enjoy the life. Blah blah blah.

The crossroads I’m at is dealing with retirement and whether I should go *now*. I’m in a peculiar situation of being able to enter “semi retirement in 1.5 years at age 37”. Since age 22 I have literally lived on half my income and invested the other half, so have significant investments to leech from. It has been a painful road, and I’ve sacrificed a lot in life to save this much

Option A) If I enter semi retirement, I could work 2-4 days in Houston TX. This would put me living in a marina in/around seabrook, clear lake, etc. It would tether me there so my actual sailing time between work would be limited to 2-3 weeks at a time. I figure 2-3 weeks is plenty time to have a loose schedule of getting somewhere in the gulf rim, hanging around and meeting people, and then sailing back for work. (in addition to sailing, I have PLENTY of other hobbies I want to indulge in during semi retirement, not least of which is spending quality time with family)

If I do this, I’ll be on a modest budget. (~2000-2500 a month). I do have a kitty in reserve to pay for major repairs, a new car in a few years, blah blah blah. But I'll have to be careful with that budget. very careful. It has to last until age 60.

With this modest budget, I don’t want to waste it on an apartment. So I plan to live on the boat. Novel idea here, I know! lol. I have the luxury of simply amazing parents, who are 2 hours away from Houston TX who are the most awesome people ever. I can actually live part time there and store all my stuff (all my earthly goods fit into a truck, seriously. Except for crappy craigslist furniture.

As a side note, since I’m single, I’m certain that living on a boat and sometimes sleeping at my parents house will make me a TOTALLY eligible bachelor. I know. Lol. But hey it’s the life I want.

Anyway. Option B)

Slave away for 7 more years. Full retirement at age 43. Money will be no object at that point. With my investments, still growing for 6 more years and full active duty retirement I will be able to buy a house, indulge in a few nice things (though my wants are very limited) and critically, I won’t be tethered to Houston TX. So the world is my oyster. Which would you choose? Oh....the catch....

Catch: I hate my job. Don’ misread me – I LOVE serving my country. I love Soldiers. I love doing good things and making the Army better every day. However….it’s crazy stressful. I’m a senior officer, and I’m just….burned out. The work is 24/7 I push myself to excel in my job. I could do it for another 7 years. I could. But I move every 2-3 years, I work through weekends, I deal with red tape constantly, and I just get the life sucked out of me where it’s no longer fulfilling most of the time. Summary: My blackberry is the anchor to my soul. Sigh.

I'm just tired of waiting. Life and health are promised to no man. Or woman.

Should I drop the full time work shenanigans, give up a "plussed up" retirement, or cut back to one weekend a month, live off dividends and that modest paycheck on the boat. Time or money. My life or my mental anguish.

(final note: Yes, I know there are those of you that may think "7 years is nothing!" But again, i've been "putting off" my life and sacrificing everything forever now. 7 years is a long time to keep doing all the the army requires me to do. )
2 words for you: GO NOW. Best of luck, and enjoy the rest of the wonderful life you will have!!!
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 19:57   #70

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
-AKPRB: Greatly appreciate this. I'm not under any illusion that I'm just going to...sail off into the sunset. Forever. The post on this forum was just one attempt at outlining the very basics of what I've thought through and and written down these past 2 years as I considered my options and crafted my strategies.

Your lessons learned are sincerely appreciated. I see my future self in similar thoughts and feelings. I do have plans for an RV as well, in order to travel a boat on the non-water part of the earth ("Dry land is not a myth, I've seeeeen it!" -awful movie) including many friends and family. I have a massive family and could spend an entire 12 months visiting 20 different states. Anyway. My point is yes, hybrid indeed. Finding purpose and belonging in communities and family is very important to me. Sailing away, alone would be beneficial for part of any person, methinks, but there is more to life than just that.

As for frugality - a bit of technical bits. I don't mind sharing the nitty gritty of money so hope you don't care. As I've *never* lived on more than 3000 a month, I'm having a hard time figuring out when I would all of the sudden need to plan for 5K+. If safely being able to retire meant you should have 1m or more, this simply can't work. I have about 100K to start right out of the gate. With that, I can buy a modest boat (20-30K), modest RV (15K) while saving the rest of what remains of the 100K for large repairs or unexpected costs. My other pile of money is well diversified and can generate around 2500 per month, lowball.

With that large income generating stash, I just need to make it until age 59, wherein my hybrid army retirement kicks in, which is a result of the ~13 years of active duty I've served and tons of reserve time. That will net around 4500 per month age 60, with full medical and dental covered. That is in addition to whatever is left from the large kitty generating 2500 per month. Bottom line, I just need to make it to age 59, slide into home base (hell, i could be broke by that time it wouldn't matter, because I'll never spend 4500 a month!). So my funds just need to bridge from age 37 to 59. I won't need that 1 meeeeeeellion dollars. Hopefully that makes sense.

I should have been more clear perhaps in my post. I have secured a pension at age 60. It is more than enough. I just need to bridge until then. Doing...whatever I can to suck the marrow out of life.

Thank you again for your thoughts and time, and letting me interact online with people like you to grow as a person and learn myself.
I've wrote much about what my future self would want, need, and what he may do both daily and seasonally. It's a good exercise. Anyway. My semi-retirement would be just that, semi. I do plan on RV'ing around (I have family all over the country) as well as finding my place in various communities that I can help, and I'm of course even open to work if it suited me. I could even volunteer for short stints on active duty orders

I am conflicted for you but I'd stay in. Much tougher to be frugal when the 50-60 hours a week you were working without being able to spend money suddenly open up to do fun things. Fun things cost money. Even/especially sailing.

And this is all without family/kids.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 20:14   #71

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

I unsubscribe do to this but it keeps coming up.. No trying to be insensitive here but please... Army you are in a better position than most of the people responding to your thread.. Please step up and let everyone off the hook.. Dilemma? You really don't have one.. Stay and serve you're country to fulfill your commitment? Yes ultimately your choice but look at the times... The US military needs all of the experience and commitment it can get in these troubled times... So the choice is yours as a Soldier.. I was in during the Cold War... I did not separate until Ronald Reagan told Mr Gorbachev to tear down that wall... For me it was an easy decision.. It wasn't a personal should I stay or should I go kind of thing... It was an " ok, were alright now" ... Apologies I understand where yo are coming from and wish you the best.. But never forget the oath you took to protect and defend the constitution .. Never.. The time for you is not far off... Do what you can, do what you have to, but please, do what you should do...
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 20:16   #72

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Sorry for all the typos.. I was typing fast and furious.. Thoughts got ahead of my fingers.. Autocorrect is no friend either.. Lol. Hope you get the jist..
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 21:14   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Sailor View Post
I unsubscribe do to this but it keeps coming up.. No trying to be insensitive here but please... Army you are in a better position than most of the people responding to your thread.. Please step up and let everyone off the hook.. Dilemma? You really don't have one.. Stay and serve you're cousntry to fulfill your commitment? Yes ultimately your choice but look at the times... The US military needs all of the experience and commitment it can get in these troubled times... So the choice is yours as a Soldier.. I was in during the Cold War... I did not separate until Ronald Reagan told Mr Gorbachev to tear down that wall... For me it was an easy decision.. It wasn't a personal should I stay or should I go kind of thing... It was an " ok, were alright now" ... Apologies I understand where yo are coming from and wish you the best.. But never forget the oath you took to protect and defend the constitution .. Never.. The time for you is not far off... Do what you can, do what you have to, but please, do what you should do...
Glad you said what so many of us were/are thinking.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:38   #74

Boat: Ross 780, Ovni 445

Hi Army,
I spent 9 years in the army and enjoyed the bulk of it, could have stayed on for the 20 and got the pension. But i'd had enough. Took a risk and got out, started a business which worked out better financially and developing myself.
I'm glad i took the risk and didn't play it safe.
Good Luck
Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:10   #75

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Slave away for 7 more years. Full retirement at age 43.

Catch: I hate my job. Don’ misread me – I LOVE serving my country. I love Soldiers. I love doing good things and making the Army better every day. However….it’s crazy stressful. I’m a senior officer, and I’m just….burned out. The work is 24/7 I push myself to excel in my job. I could do it for another 7 years. I could. But I move every 2-3 years, I work through weekends, I deal with red tape constantly, and I just get the life sucked out of me where it’s no longer fulfilling most of the time. Summary: My blackberry is the anchor to my soul. Sigh.
Full Military Retirement is always such a carrot dangling out there. I had a similar decision under totally different circumstances. Back in late 80s, I entered Air Force ROTC looking for something more exciting to do with an Engineer degree. I was offered an engineer scholarship and 4 year commitment, or a pilot slot with no commitment until I graduated pilot training, then an 8 year commitment. I took the pilot slot, entered UPT in late 90 during Desert Shield. Gulf war broke out in Jan 91, cutbacks happened in May 91. My daughter was born in April 91. Long story somewhat shorter, I decided to drop pilot training 2 months before getting my wings. As #6 in my class this was unheard of, I was heading toward fighter qualified. I was already having some issues with the Red Tape you speak of. I was having difficult blindly following somewhat silly rules, and they weren't even telling me to drop bombs on people yet. I also knew that after 10 years of service (2 training, 8 in the field), it would be tough not to go for the 20 years retirement thing.

A few years ago, the my buddies from the class of 92-03 started their full retirements. A few high school class mates of mine are also retiring about now, after 25 years of service. Various commanders mostly.

Am I a bit jealous? A bit, but not much. I chose my path and had some opportunities that just didn't pan out that would have me retired by age 38 in the tech industry. Just missed various booms. Oh well. Still a good life.

My big debate now, as the last one is heading to college next year, is WHEN to go, which is almost solely dependent on how cheap my wife is willing to do it.

A quote from a movie called 'The Way' with Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez

Father: You may not approve of my life, but it is the life I chose.
Son: Dad, you don't choose a life, you live one.

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil